Re: Can you make 50 identical cookies?

Sure. Go, run amok

We all have our own ideal recipe so why can't we each use that?  Then we can each try and make 50 identical cookies of our own recipe.

78 (edited by zelliott 2007-03-16 15:22:20)

When we say 50 identical cookies, were not going for exact simulacrums of the previous cookie. We are going for an identity similar to the "God Cookie." So if we take it in that sense, of course we can have 50 identical, regardless of race, colour...oops, I mean, ingredients.

-- I apologize for not staying with the 'plan'. If I am in need of a reboot... you know where I am.

I agree with moldenburg, it can be our own person task to each make 50 identical cookie as opposed to having everybody use the same recipe and try to make them identical.  This way everybody can use a recipe that they like, and they know works.

no moldenburg. that would defeat the whole purpose. if you want to just taste good cookies, make some at your own house. but we're trying to make 50 identicle cookies, so we have to have the same recipe to attempt to get the same cookies.

Identical cookies kinda have to be made of same thing dont they? Different cookies eliminates any chance of finding identical cookies.

I like what moldenburg said, Everyone has there own recipe, why dont we all use them?  Everyone can try to make 50 identical cookies, with different recipes, then everyone trying to make 50 identical cookies of the same cookie.

ya so for //your// 50 cookies keep the same ingredents

not everyone has to have the same recipie

I agree with the new idea, we should just try ourselves to make 50 identical cookies, not thousands

Actually thats a good idea. Everyone just go with their own chocolate chip cookies with their own recipe

We seem to doubt that we can make completly identical cookies so I guess it hardly matter what kind they are if the task is doomed to failure.

I agree with chandesen, we all should create our own 50 cookies with our own recipe. Why should we all have to make the same kind? I don't know about anyone else, but i couldn't eat very many banana cookies. Variety is always good.

89 (edited by zelliott 2007-03-16 15:27:09)

I believe rather than having the same ingredients, we should try to make the mold the same. Once again, the God Cookie smites those who believe in ingredients. The cookies should be made in the God Cookie's own image.

adamhockey2 wrote:

no moldenburg. that would defeat the whole purpose. if you want to just taste good cookies, make some at your own house. but we're trying to make 50 identicle cookies, so we have to have the same recipe to attempt to get the same cookies.

Wrong. If we were just trying to  make 50 identical cookies, then we could each make...one ..ish. THAT would defeat the purpose. My vote is to do whatever the heck you want, as long as you post something in the forum about cookies, and show up next friday with fifty cookies. Anyone going to start a war over that, or are we agreed?

I agree with dykstra, the outcome is going to be the same no matter what

I agree with kesela, lets do what we want. We are not defeating a purpose here.

I agree with you amartin, but why cant we each use our own ideas, and challenge ourselves to this task, instead of trying to make the same cookie for the whole class? I think we should try different ingredients and see what the outcome really is?

I think we are virtually in agreement about what kind of cookies we should make, so stop arguing.

Alright,  I'm veering a little off topic, so here goes...

Fifty identical cookies, huh?  That's some task...
First you would have to make sure they are all exactly the same size and shape, and that sounds hard enough as it is!  Then, to make sure that they are all identical to one another, you would have to make sure that every atom (chocolate chip, oatmeal flake, etc.) was in the same place in every cookie and that every cookie had the same quantity of each.  After you shove then in the oven, some stuff is bound to move around...and you can't exactly control that!

I vote it's impossible...but I'm willing to try anyway!

We all have the ideal cookie in mind and to make fifty of them will surely not work out very well. As gfraser said first of all everything has to be in the same place and when they bake in the oven they will flatten out and become a cookie shape, so the insides will move around. And how do we know if each cookie has the same amount of sugar, flour, baking powder, etc.? It would be fun trying to get two cookies to look alike. I'm in for the challenge.

gsanson wrote:

The problem lies in the definition of our purpose. Was the original proposed task Plato's querey of creating 50 identicle cookies, or was the it the originally posted task (post #14 i believe) . If you are all in favour of abandoning the challange of a roomfull of cookies that are the same go ahead, theres nothing wrong with variation.I just feel that we will be abandoning the purpose of this collective assignment and just be making cookies for cookies sake (again, nothing wrong with that).

Plato's sees any cookie as a mere attempt at stamping out a knockoff of the original idea cookie. He could never be eager to taste another cookie, only the idea cookie would tantalize him.

Aristotle, as Plato's student, would sample hundreds and hundreds of cookies while drawing ideas from within each of them. He would savour the uniqueness of each cookie while forming the idea of the cookie within each. The idea cookie would be some insight hidden within each cookie. The more cookies the better, for Aristotle. I think Aristotle wouldn't be happy till all 1500 cookies were shown as both unique each in their own way, yet all cookie-ish in their pattern/form.

The Platonic baker will want all cookies to resemble some ideal, unique form. The Aristotilean baker will want each cookie to be of its own unique internal form.

It was Plato who asked the question as teacher of Sophie. . . but Aristotle was a pretty good student of Plato nonetheless.

The next 2 cookies you eat, keep your eyes closed. See if you can tell which cookie is which.

have we decided if we are going to all make the same kind of cookies or all different ones

Aristotle would find the idea cookie in the cookie. Everybody should make their own type of cookie and find the idea cookie inside it. Plus I don't want to each 26 of the same kind of cookie. Variety people, variety!