1

Topic: Why are we so scared?

The greatest challenge to Human survival is fear. Why are people afraid? how do we get past that?

2

Re: Why are we so scared?

Fear is the selling point of the Western media. When everyone fears the plaque on their teeth they buy more toothpaste and toothbrushes. When everyone fears the pesticides everyone buys the 'organic' foods. Frankly fear is marketable. In times of peace and happiness we don't need all these products.

3

Re: Why are we so scared?

But yet, are there ever times where "we the people" feel truly safe and truly happy? Therefore, we must keep buying all these products, because we fear that we are afraid, leading us into your point.

4

Re: Why are we so scared?

The greatest challenge to our own survival is ourselves, history has shown time and time again that humans threaten our existence on this earth with such things as racial beliefs and religions. Human beings take ideology to seriously and act against those who dont follow their beliefs.

5

Re: Why are we so scared?

If we didn't follow our idealology, wouldn't we be denying ourselves our own humanity? Part of our humanity is about being threatened. If we aren't threatened by anything, are we then not human?

6

Re: Why are we so scared?

I agree. If people did not buy all these products, then they will end up living in a world of paranoia. They will try to not buy more toothpaste and toothbrushes for plaque on their teeth, but they will still feel uncomfortable and feel the urge to buy them.

7

Re: Why are we so scared?

Dykstra wrote:

Fear is the selling point of the Western media. When everyone fears the plaque on their teeth they buy more toothpaste and toothbrushes. When everyone fears the pesticides everyone buys the 'organic' foods. Frankly fear is marketable. In times of peace and happiness we don't need all these products.

Fear has changed over the years. Way back when, people weren't afraid of getting the crap blown out of them by bombs because they didn't know they existed. Now we have so much to worry about because the media is helping us learn all this.

8

Re: Why are we so scared?

True they feared witches and sickness. However they did'nt buy all these things because there was no demand, this was the time prior the rise of capitalism.

9

Re: Why are we so scared?

Ahh now to the media and fear and the introduction of fedia (fear media). They
push all our "fear buttons" attacking and bombarding us so we buy toothpaste.
Is this really their agenda? The media is supposed to be biased, is there a secret
agenda for them to advertise for the newest Arm & Hammer toothpaste?

10

Re: Why are we so scared?

All your points are interesting, but you're just saying what we're afraid of, and not why. Using cam's example, why are we afreaid of the plaque on our teeth?

11

Re: Why are we so scared?

Because regular joes are afraid of dr. joe

12

Re: Why are we so scared?

People are scared because they have no control.

13

Re: Why are we so scared?

junruh wrote:

Because regular joes are afraid of dr. joe

haha well done

14

Re: Why are we so scared?

one reason of why we are scared of certain things like spiders, because people influence your fears telling you information that is not totally true.

15

Re: Why are we so scared?

Evidence? We are scared of spiders because we think they will cause us PAIN. PAIN is a major motivation behind fear. I have people tell me of the terrorists in Isreal but until I experience them, I don't fear.

16

Re: Why are we so scared?

so what about things that don't cause you physical pain? Your new school isn't likely to drop on your head, or be filled with psychomaniacs, but yet kids are still scared of going to a new school.

17

Re: Why are we so scared?

I'm not scared of spiders, Chan is. I think "pain" is one of the only - or main - causes of fear.

18

Re: Why are we so scared?

Kesela wrote:

All your points are interesting, but you're just saying what we're afraid of, and not why. Using cam's example, why are we afreaid of the plaque on our teeth?

are we really "afraid" of plaque on our teeth? no, we don't want the plaque on our teeth so adversting pulls us in and makes us fear it to buy their product.

media and adverstiment scares me.

19

Re: Why are we so scared?

Kesela wrote:

so what about things that don't cause you physical pain? Your new school isn't likely to drop on your head, or be filled with psychomaniacs, but yet kids are still scared of going to a new school.

We are scared because we don't know anyone there. It is a new environment. We are scared of the unknown.

20

Re: Why are we so scared?

junruh wrote:

Because regular joes are afraid of dr. joe

It's all said there deena

21

Re: Why are we so scared?

I think it is true that fear does control us, but I believe that it is only one aspect of a larger problem. Perception of anything can be a challenge to survival. Think about the show survivor, people have their allies. They are left to percieve whether or not they can trust the person or not. And based on their perception they will survive or fail. So basicly fear is the perception of danger, but perception of safety can be just as dangerous.

22

Re: Why are we so scared?

People are afraid of plaque on their teeth because they are afraid of not being accepted by others.  "Plaque causes yellow teeeth and then you're going to be ugly" is what many people assume.  Why do you think people spend so much money on material things?  They are afraid they won't be accepted for who they are so they use material things to achieve that acceptance.

23

Re: Why are we so scared?

Well said, but if we all change our preception will we change our survival rate?

24

Re: Why are we so scared?

Ya, I guess the problem is how to know whether our perception is correct or false, It's easy to look at the past and judge if our perception was correct but it's hard and I think impossible to make the right decision in every situation. But there must be a way to make good decisions more often.

25

Re: Why are we so scared?

Kesela wrote:

All your points are interesting, but you're just saying what we're afraid of, and not why. Using cam's example, why are we afreaid of the plaque on our teeth?

We're agraid of the plaque on our teeth because we feel the need to fit in with the rest of society, and the media is often spreading the news that things like clean teeth is going to make our lives so much better. This is why we make some much effort to try and impress those around us because of the media.