Topic: Some more quesitons?

What do you defines as good?

Who decides whats good enough?

Re: Some more quesitons?

I think it's a personal thing.  What you may define as a failure on your math test may be a good mark for someone else.  You set your own standards.  Everyone is going to have a different definition of what good grades are, what good behavior is, and what good decisions are.  Only you can decide whats good enough for you.

Does anybody have a right to decide whats good? other than of course God. The ten commandments are certainly good guidelines to live by. I dont think there is any one definition of good but is a question of conscience. Cleary good has a general direction as opposed to evil, but the unique conscience of individuals can create thousands of ideas.

I agree with Christy. You yourself define what is good enough for you. For some people good enough is completely out of the question for others. It is entirely up to you to decided what is good enough for yourself. You set your own goals and standards and you are the only person that can make sure you are reaching them.

I agree with you- I think it should be a question of your conscience.  Everyday we are faced with the challenges of people telling us what good is but we have to decide what the right thing for ourselves is.  It seems that people are afraid that they won't be good enough.  Companies use this fear as a way of profit: a laptop will make make you a better student.

I think that there is a real definition of the word good and it is in the dictionary and it is the nationally recognized definition of both terrorists and normal people.

mokrainetz wrote:

I think that there is a real definition of the word good and it is in the dictionary and it is the nationally recognized definition of both terrorists and normal people.

why are we talking about terrorists?

MItch, I agree that both types of people would see "good" as one definition but there are many interpretations about that one definition. Terrorists would twist and turn that definition so it would work with their way of life!

Or they don't "twist and turn" it at all, it's simply what they have believe all the time.

I think "good" is a general word with no definite meaning. When you are asked, "How are you?", you reply, "good". You used the word good when asked how a certain type of food is. It can also be meant to be right, good night, good morning, good day, good and evil.... We use the word good as of many meanings. So we cannot decide who is good and who is not. Therefore, what is good enough is the limit of you're expectations and goals.

I'm afraid I have to disagree Mr. Chehade. When people ask me how my day is I say "good", because it isn't bad. When I have a Big Mac I say its "good", because it isn't bad. It is a pretty general word, but I think it definatly has a meaning.

"Good" has also become an answer that is positive yet neutral at the same time. People want to hear we are good when they ask how we are, so we answer good. It may be the worst day of our life, but we would probably still answer good. Also when you eat something you don't like and someone asks how it is, you usually say good. It has became one of the big positive and neutral words of our generation.

maybe we are using the word good because some people may be affraid to speak what's on their mind, don't get me wrong I know some people say what is on their mind but others may just say good because they want to fit in and not be different from other people. Same trend with bad or not good. Back to the food idea, if someone is affraid to say what they really think they might think it is great, but they answer with it was terrible or something along those lines. It is still a person thing to deciede what is good for you

i think people just say things like good and not what is really on their mind because their are scared of the unknown. they are scared of what people might think and so they say blank things that will help them blend in with the rest os society.

adamhockey2 wrote:

i think people just say things like good and not what is really on their mind because their are scared of the unknown. they are scared of what people might think and so they say blank things that will help them blend in with the rest os society.

I don't think people think about it anymore, they just go into verbal autopilot.

Good is a relative term. Good compared with what. The same goes with bad. People might believe that what they are doing is good as opposed to what could happen if they don't do it.

What you think is good grows with you as life goes on. What you think is "good" is a learned behavior. Some people don't realize some of the real meanings behind good. It can all depend.

bradbardoel wrote:

Good is a relative term. Good compared with what. The same goes with bad. People might believe that what they are doing is good as opposed to what could happen if they don't do it.

Also that people might believe that they are doing good only because it is what has been taught to them as good. Terrorists in the Middle East believe that sacrificing themselves to kill others is good! they believe they won't get to heaven if they don't!

Fair enough but as Mr. Sommer says in religion, "Do they actually believe in their hearts that what they are doing is good and right or are they choosing to believe the ideas people have put in their head?"

I would say that they believe what is put in their heads, but over time they begin to think about what they are doing and some would then truly believe that what has been taught to them. They understand what they are doing, and realize the deeper meaning to it.