Topic: Paul's Case

Discuss.

Re: Paul's Case

How is Willa Cather's "Paul's Case" Modern? Is it because he's trying to find meaning in the world where he isn't accepted for himself?

3 (edited by sberg 2011-05-17 10:52:05)

dkonieczny wrote:

How is Willa Cather's "Paul's Case" Modern? Is it because he's trying to find meaning in the world where he isn't accepted for himself?

The character, Paul, is modern simply because he rejects tradition; he wishes for change to the way things are. He wears a red carnation in his buttonhole, and is clearly not the ideal student. He only shows passion and interest in the art, another modern creation at the time. He describes Sunday on Cordelia Street as that of a perfect act: They "always sat out on their front stoops and talked to their neighbors (Coincidently, they're all on their porches at the same time!), or called to those across the street in a neighborly fashion. The men wear "shirt -sleeves, and vests unbuttoned" while they sit on "gay cushions," and the women wear their "Sunday waists," and sit on the rockers. Paul's father places great expectations on him, and idolizes the 26 year-old father and wealthy business man next door. Paul acts against the grain, by running to New York, stealing money, and living a secret life at the hotel and theatre. When Paul realizes he will have to a life of moulds and the ordinary, he chooses death instead. Therefore, Paul is an excellent example of modernism.

I have written a thesis statement for the story, Paul's Case.

Paul's runaway plan to New York City allowed him to finally experience his deepest fantasies before committing suicide. He cherished the theatre in a way no one could understand, followed his dreams no matter the obstacle, but in the end Paul could not handle returning to his average life.

Anything I should change?

nzayac wrote:

I have written a thesis statement for the story, Paul's Case.

Paul's runaway plan to New York City allowed him to finally experience his deepest fantasies before committing suicide. He cherished the theatre in a way no one could understand, followed his dreams no matter the obstacle, but in the end Paul could not handle returning to his average life.

Anything I should change?

Replace the words in the following template to derive a thesis closer to the format we discussed in class:

(The author), in (the text), (strong verb) (literary elements) to (strong verb) (a central focused idea).

So your thesis becomes something more like this...

Cather, in Paul's Case, contrasts the conflict of Paul's real life experiences with his deepest fantasies to argue that despair is the largest obstacle when searching for the meaning or purpose of life.

Willa Cather in Paul's case creates the symbols of a carnation to represent rebellion, the twitching eye to show conflict in ones soul, and a trip to New York as a last journey. The moder reader will identify with the struggles Paul is having and relate to the need for change.

Thesis?

kdkrys wrote:

Willa Cather in Paul's case creates the symbols of a carnation to represent rebellion, the twitching eye to show conflict in ones soul, and a trip to New York as a last journey. The moder reader will identify with the struggles Paul is having and relate to the need for change.

Thesis?

It works, real well. I don't normally recommend 2 sentences, but the structure here is a strong idea.

sberg wrote:

Thesis:

Willa Cather, in Paul’s Case, interprets the conflict of ideals versus reality to compare the dominance of fear and expectations against bliss.

I like arguments that quibble the nature of reality.

I fear real? Is it  "out there"?

http://www.astrodispatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/22/2f679_Optimized-the-truth-is-out-there-x-files-poster.jpg