Topic: What's Good Enough?

the only thing good enough is human advancement in life. As humans, there is no point in living if we are not steadily advancing in life. If we cannot advance in life, there is no point in living  without evolution or advancement.

Re: What's Good Enough?

How true. Without ambition the human race would have died long ago. What seperates us from the animals is our drive for something better.

I agree. Withought advancement and in our strive for being smarter than the previous generation, then there is no point to life.

That's one of the reasons communism fell. People were not allowed to fail or rise beyond their birthright. The drive is gone.

How far is far enough? A bold prediction was made in the latest issue of Popular Science, "We will have achieved human intelligence in robots by the year 2027." Except for the "essence of life", we will be creating almost entirely real humans. The age old question will finally become a reality. Is it right to play god? We will be creating computers thousands of times smarter than us and able to learn thousands of times faster. How will that affect the human race? Will we become the minority? It is possible that too much "drive" is just that, too much drive.

What happens when we run out of things to advance to? What happens when (and if) we reach a utopian society? Are there going to be mass suicide pacts because we have nothing to strive for?

The myth of Utopia is the carrot at the end of the stick. Most cultures like the Indian and the ancient Greeks fell from Grace. This explains the problems with this world, we are being punished for the sins of our forefathers. In regard to Warren's comment I sure do hope if we achieve a utopian state we are smart enough not to have mass-suicides.

cstang wrote:

What would happen if human advancement came to an end?  Just take a second to ponder about that. If we had nothing to strive for then what would be the point of life.

I doubt human advancement would come to an end, we are always finding new discoveries and making new inventions.

I agree with celliott there will always be new advancements.

yes because whenever we feel like we need something better we will be able to use advancements to build it.

There is always new advancements and technologies. New people, and scientists with new ideas that make our world more modernized and advanced to fit the needs of the world's people. Its great that our society advances so that life is easier to accomplish with many benefits.

When Collin said to ponder about not having any advancements I started to think that it would be a great thing to happen for maybe a couple of years. If this did happen then when we get our advancements back more people will see that we don't really need all the polluting devices that we make and maybe we could start to build a new world were there is less pollution and maybe we could even make it a better world.

13 (edited by mokrainetz 2006-08-31 15:30:53)

But with new advancements we start to rely more on the computers in the devices that make it easyer for us. Like the british scientists have made a tractor beam, but it is only at a microscopical level but in the future it may be like the ones on star treck. so will the technological advances ever stop??

cstang wrote:

What would happen if human advancement came to an end?  Just take a second to ponder about that. If we had nothing to strive for then what would be the point of life.

Hey guys, before posting please read what was written DIRECTLY ABOVE. We just finished talking about this. Please, make our conversations smarter by not making us repeat.
Thanks
From the Grade 11 Class

cstang wrote:

If we reached the end of all advancement we would have reached the 'Golden Age' as portrayed in the Greek myths. Just like the myth we fall into decadency and complacency. Humanity would deteriorate untill we hit rock bottom, then we would have to climb up again.

mokrainetz wrote:

But with new advancements we start to rely more on the computers in the devices that make it easyer for us. Like the british scientists have made a tractor beam, but it is only at a microscopical level but in the future it may be like the ones on star treck. so will the technological advances ever stop??

It could, or it couldn't, but that doesn't really matter. The question is will we be ready for the end of advancement IF it ever happens?

Think of all the new technolgy that scientists are finding. We can't even find the exact size of an electron. Science is kinda slow if you think about it. With the pollution and other world destroying practices we won't live long enough to reach a utopian state.

i agree cam. at the slow rate of advancement, we will never create a utopian state before we are destroyed because of humanity's fear of the unknown. war is only existant because of a lack of communication between two countries and the fear of some growing to strong. ex) us going into afganistan to take the taliban out of power.

For us it seems wierd that the computers we're using right now and the viehicles we drive and the T.V.'s we watch will seem old fashoned. Just like the people before there were computers, viehicles, and T.V.'s could not imagine that their time could be thought as old fashioned. The point i'm making is that we are always striving to make the best thing just a little bit better, and because of this I don't think there will ever be a time where we have just run out of ideas.