Topic: Is technology taking over?

We are now living in a time where we depend on technology. We eat, sleep, and live off it. Everyday events can’t be completed with out it. When is it too much? What if we get so close to technology that we would do anything to have it? What if we start hurting ourselves and other just to have it? How do we say it wont happen? If I asked you, what is you most valued possession would it be techno related? Or if I asked, does your job use technology and if so could you still complete the job with out it? So is technology a good thing? sad

Re: Is technology taking over?

Like all things, technology is good in moderation. It, in itself, is neither good nor bad. Its all in how we humans choose to use it.

Agreed, but it could be argued that us using the technology solely for bad makes the technology a bad thing.

I have to agree with Kelsey. We can not create to much technology good or bad, we can only choose to use technology. It help perform everyday functions and yes we adependen't on it not only to help us in life but also to save lives. So how can there be to much technology if it over all helps humanity?

Technology is a good thing, but so much of it has gone too far. I think if you have to depend on it so much, like an addiction thats just ridiculous. Like Mr. Collins said in Chem about Trevor running around trying to find a signal so he could talk to people ... thats just dumb. But If its things we need, like insulin for diabetics technology has helped advance ways to use it. 100 years ago you would die if you had diabetes, then they invited the shots with needles, now they even have it so you have automatic injections into your belly with a chord thats just always attached to you.

People hurt others everyday to gain pocessions whether it be money, jewellery, or a computer.  Technology isn't changing anything in that matter,

It actually is hurting more people. It causes more widescale destruction and "killings" to gain pocessions... like oil...

8 (edited by mimartin 2006-09-01 13:15:09)

There allways has been and there allways will be people that choose to use new technology for evil doings, it isnt technology that  is hurting people, its people hurting people.

good point Michael but I dont think that any one person is responsible for the evils done by technology, it is the influence of society

neutral

No one person is not responsible for the evils done by technology. Society does influence, but people do hurt people it is one person picking up a gun to kill another, it is not society influence if it is a personal act.

It all connects back to society though. If a person picked up a gun ... without ever having watched TV in their life, or without having ever witnessed war they wouldn't know what to do with it

until they find the trigger and start shooting finding it amusing witnessing bodies fall at the pull of a button:(

junruh wrote:

It all connects back to society though. If a person picked up a gun ... without ever having watched TV in their life, or without having ever witnessed war they wouldn't know what to do with it

Tests have proven that this is untrue. One child was stopped from witnessing any tv or anything violence related and one day he pointed his teddy bear at something and started "shooting." He didn't know what he was doing, but he, in his mind, invented something that projected things to hit other things. It is in our nature to be able to use "weapons" even if we don't know right now what they are.

I think technology is taking over. Right now we are relying on technology (Internet) to express our thoughts about certain things.

15 (edited by ckushnerick 2006-09-01 15:16:30)

I agree with Curtis, but I think we could still survive without tecnology.

I do not think technology is not  taking over right now, but maybe in the next 100 years technology will have advanced so much,  it will take over.

How can technology take over? Isn't technology only people's ideas put into action? So in reality, the inventors who have made their ideas into products that help make our lives easier are taking over. I for one would rather have an easy life with excessive technology than living horribly without any technology and no way of expanding our knowledge.

Technology can take over if it pulls an "iRobot", thats a sweet show.

ckushnerick wrote:

I agree with Curtis, but I think we could still survive without tecnology.

I highly disagree actually. Almost everything we depend on is some form of technology. If we got rid of all technology we would be put back into a "caveman" like state. just think about what technology is these days. Heater, fridge, air conditioning, etc... Even a fishing rod is a form of technology. It is very basic but it is still technology. Someone had to come up with it. Almost everything we use in a day is a form of technology. Without it, we would all die.

I don't think will the amount of technology today, that it would be that easy to survive. I think that because everyone is so used to have technology at there fingertips, that without it we wouldn't know what to do.

Well the cavemen managed to survive so why couldn't we. I agree it would be hard and a lot of people would die but if all the technology was gone we could still survive and the human race is known for innovations so we could restart and invent ides all over again.

Yes, but it might take awile to create these new products. And the creating of these new products could lead to technology once again...

bradbardoel wrote:

Well the cavemen managed to survive so why couldn't we. I agree it would be hard and a lot of people would die but if all the technology was gone we could still survive and the human race is known for innovations so we could restart and invent ides all over again.

Lance Armstrong could bike the Tour De France and win it 7 times, why can't we? Mass murderers can massacre people, why can't we? The answer is whether or not we have the compacity to do this, or whether we have the knowledge. I can honestly say that I couldn't win the Tour De France because I don't have the energy, lung compacity, knowledge of the terrain, knowledge of how to fix my bike, how to "cut corners", etc. I don't have the compacity to kill someone... yet. tongue If survival came to rubbing two sticks together or death, I honestly say that most wouldn't be able to do this.
P.S. read To Build a Fire by Jack London

24 (edited by tlaing 2006-10-21 22:12:38)

Technology is our new reason to wake up in the morning, literally.  To wake us up, to make our breakfast, to keep us connected, to work efficiently. Everything. We would be completely lost without it. There is a sick reason why 11 year old children are getting camera cell phones... *sigh*