Topic: What are the Greatest Challanges to Our Survival?

We know fear is one of the greatest challanges to our survival today. Amongst the various types of fear is xenophobia, which means the fear or dislike of strangers or foreigners.It is understandable that this fear exists in our current society, in consideration that many headlines in newspapaers and on the internet promote fear through hyperbole. But how can people be scared of undiscovered, in some cases, non-existant happenigns? People? Ideas? Yet still have good self-esteem and a good outlook on life? Sure unfortunate things happen in the world like floods, terrorism, diseases, and crime, but thats life and we must learn to accept it becasue everything happens for a reason. Life is like a game, you have to be willing to take chances if you want to win. If everyone woke up every morning and said to themselves, "I am scared to walk down the street today because someone might come out and stab me." Or, " I am scared to leave my house today becasue a tornado could strike any minute." Then how are we supposed to ever grow as a community, as a nation, or as a society? Where do our fears of things that haven't happened, and people we haven't even met, ever stop?
Is there any way we can learn to cope with being scared, and prevent the fears of xenophobes from spreading to everyone? Or Can we get rid of our fears completely?

Re: What are the Greatest Challanges to Our Survival?

Not gunna lie ... i dont even wanna read all that.

Our fears of the unknown will never stop, as long as technology advances we will always be scared. Because if we can make a bomb that can blow up a city, or a gun that can see through walls who's to say we cant make a "potion" that can make us walk through walls.

Wow Laurisa you wrote like a book! Jk not quite.

ldutchak wrote:

Or Can we get rid of our fears completely?

I'd have to say no we can't get rid of our fears completely. A new fear can be introduced at any time. For example, on the movie "The Benchwarmers", Richie's brother Howie had a fear of the sun. He would always be afraid to go outside where the sun is. Finally, he decided to take chances and go ouside and face the sun so he could watch a baseball game. He discovered that the sun isn't bad anymore and that its not a "monster". So then his fear of the sun no longer was a problem becasue the was not afraid. However, he now was developing a new fear. The moon. This example showed that some fears can be overcome while others develope. Your mind and insticts tells you what you think is fearful, and what isn't. Taking chances and risks can uncover the truth about life's fears.

I think xenophobes have a right to be afraid of strangers & foreigners because they don't know them at all. There is a chance of them being dangerous. Not all strangers are dangerous but some are & that is why xenophobes have the right to be afraid.

Everyone is afraid of strangers if they have a certain image, or if the environment is right.

Therefore, EVERYONE has the right to be afraid of strangers

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover.

yes

bradbardoel wrote:

I thought we weren't supposed to judge a book by its cover.

Some "books" need to be judged by their cover. Someone who looks like he broke out of prison, and is in fact still wearing his prison uniform should maybe not be talked to and not approached. This is just common sense. Many people who look ok, and aren't wearing a prison uniform should still be approaced with caution, but only little. Some serial killers look absolutly normal if you saw them in the park on a sunday afternoon.

So what you are saying is that anyone in a prison uniform or has ever been to prison should be treated as dangerous and doesn't deserve a second chance. I don't think its right or a right to fear and judge others without "walking in their shoes."