Louis
pipel
Stein
Tibi
Yossi
Dr. Josef Mengele
Zalman

Re: Characters

Zalman: "People mocked him because he was forever praying or meditating on some Talmudic question. For him, it was an escape from reality, from feeling the blows..." (page 104)

"Make an effort Zalman...Try." 
"I can't go on" he groaned

page 104

Zalman "I soon forgot him. I began to think of myself again." (pg.104) Zalman is just another victim of the Holocaust that will be forgotten by the rest of society.

Zalman: "I don't believe he was finished off by an SS, for nobody had noticed. He must have died, trampled under the feet of the thousands of men who followed us. -PG.104

"Wait a little Zalman. Soon, we will come to a halt. We cannot run like this to the end of the world." (104)

Zalman was the son of Rabbi Eliahu, his father searches for him but it is in vain because he gave up and was trampled by the thousands of men. Lost, without realizing what he has done to his father.

Standing in the middle of it, though I didn't know know it then, Dr. Mengele, the notorious Dr. Mengele.

page 49

Dr. Mengele: pointed to the left for Elie, And Elie thought. "Were he to go right, I would have run after him". Which bring up topics like love, father and son relationship and true hell, being alone...

Dr. Joesf Mengle is like a cattle herder, the way he dehumanizes the Jews as separate's them into, "right" and "left", cattle aren't even treated in such ways. Conductor of death, performing for his great symphony, right or left.

Tibi was very silent and pale.
p.g 89

Tibi and Yossi- "They lived for each other, body and soul." pg 68

QUOTE FROM JOSH...Dr. Mengele: "He looked like the typical SS officer: a cruel, though not unintelligent, face, complete with monocle." (page 49)

Page 90 "Dr. Mengele was holding a list: our numbers." Eliezer number is A- 7713. Dr. Megele has become to giver of live and death, and he only treats it as a game.

"I never suspected that Yossi was religious. In fact, I had always believed the opposite." Pg 89

16 (edited by wpreteau 2014-03-14 11:10:04)

Stein, our relative from Antwerp, continued to visit us and, from time to time, he would bring a half portion of bread: Pg 62

Antwerp is located on the right (eastern) bank of the river Scheldt, which is linked to the North Sea by the Westerschelde estuary.The city has one of the largest seaports in Europe.

Stein: "'The only thing that keeps me alive,' he kept saying, 'is to know that Reizel and the little ones are still alive. Were it not for them, I would give up.'" (page 63) Reflection of Eliezer seeing no reason to live after his fathers passing.

18 (edited by nbielech 2014-03-14 11:08:44)

Stein- "He had be given the news. The real news." pg 63
Ultimate fate after hearing the death of his family, probably lead him to giving up, possibly suicide

19 (edited by joel.coutts 2014-03-21 10:50:01)

(pg. 90) "Did they write me down?" (Eliezer)
"No" said Yossi. Smiling, he added, "Anyway, they couldn't have. You were running to fast..."
I began to laugh. I was happy.

20 (edited by Lyndsie 2014-03-14 11:10:24)

Pipel-"Where He is? This is where--hanging here from this gallows..."
That night the soup tasted of corpses.
page 83

Pipel "His was the face of an angel in distress." (pg.81)

"Yes, my mother did hear from them. Riezel is fine. So are the children.." (pg.62) honourable lie

page 83 "And so he remained for more than half an hour, lingering between live and death, writhing before our eyes. And we were forced to look at him at close range. He was still alive when I passed him. His tongue still red, his eyes not yet extinguished." Eliezer sees that his eyes are still open, there still have live. The see images, images are reflections. Like pipel's eyes Eliezer still has live.

Pipel- 'Long live liberty!" the two men shouted
But the boy was silent
page 82

25 (edited by nbielech 2014-03-14 11:15:37)

The pipel is an attractive male who receives special privileges by maintaining a relationship with another detainee who has been granted some authority over other detainees, typically hated- pg 81