26 (edited by joel.coutts 2014-03-14 11:14:20)

Re: Characters

Little Pipel is the reflection of God.
"For God's sake, where is God?"
And within me, I heard a voice answer:
"Where He is? This is where-hanging here from this gallows..." (pg.83)

27 (edited by shryciuk 2014-03-14 11:18:18)

JOSH SAYS...Pipel: "A young boy, A pipel, beat his father, because he did not make his bed properly. This young boy was a servant of the Kapos." (page 81)

Louis, a native of Holland, a well-known violinist. Pg 67

29 (edited by joel.coutts 2014-03-14 11:25:08)

Louis: complained that they would not let him play Beethoven; related to death, see later with Juliek (spoiler) pg.67

Meir Katz was moaning: "Why can't they just shoot us now?" Pg 121

devan: Meir Katz, a colossus, wore a child's pants, and stern, a skinny little fellow, was floundering in a huge jacket.
p.g. 55

"Hersh Genud, well versed in Kabbalah, spoke of the end the world and the coming of the Messiah." (page 63)

Akiba Drumer said:"God is testing us. He wants us whether we are capable of overcoming our base instincts, of killing the Satan within  ourselves. We have no right to despair. And if he punishes us mercilessly, it is a sign that He loves that much..." (pg.63)

To Akiba Drumer the holocaust was a test, a test of faith. For god is testing us and he loves us.

Akiba Drumer: Had discovered a verse from the Bible which, translated into numbers, made it possible for him to predict Redemption in the weeks to come. (page 69)

Evenings, as we lay on our cots, we would sometimes tried to sing a few Hasidic melodies. Akiba Drumer would break our hearts with his deep, grave voice. Page 63

Meir Katz: since he was a gardener in Buna he was "Less undernourished than the rest of us, detention had been easier on him. Because he was stronger than most of us, he had been put in charge of our wagon." (page 120)

Alphonse, (one idea) was devoted to protecting "his" block, this shows that he is a selfless person, who cares for his fellow people that are in the block with him, especially the young and weak, for he would give them soup.

Alphonse: "It was good to have a Jew as your leader. His name was Alphonse. A young man with a startlingly wizened face. He was totally devoted to defending 'his' block. Whenever he could, he would 'organize' a cauldron of soup for the young, for the weak, for all of those who dreamed more of an extra portion of food than of liberty." (page 69)

Alphonse represents a father in the way he comforts his subjects, instead of harming them. (pg.69)

41 (edited by joel.coutts 2014-03-17 10:49:36)

Alphonse, "for all those who dreamed more of an extra portion of food than of liberty."pg.69 No ideas of rebelling, just more soup. that the people who forget and/or have no intention of trying to leave, those are continent at where there at will be feed.

A7713 . The Block secretary number Elizer was given printed on his body "Thats me "Pg.69

Alphonse feeds his block or "his people" Like Jesus did in the last supper -pg 69

Elizers new identity is A-7713. Summoned by the block secretary pg 69

I became A-7713. From then on, I had no other name. Pg 60

Juliek: "Juliek, a Pole with eyeglasses and a cynical smile in a pale face." (page 67)

Juliek: His possesion to his violin
"I am afraid... They'll break.. my violin.. I brought it with me" (page 112)

48 (edited by nbielech 2014-03-17 10:55:45)

"The darkness envloped us. All I could hear was the violin, and it was as if Juliek's soul had become his bow." pg 113 Juliek's requiem

page 113 "I shall never forget Juliek. How could I forget this concert  given before an audience of the dead and dying? Even today, when I hear that particular piece by Beethoven, my eyes close and out of the darkness emerges the pale and melancholy face of my Polish comrade bidding farewell to an audience of dying men." In Juliek's last moments he does not wished to be consoled but to console everyone else by playing his very soul.

Juliek "He was playing his life. His whole being gliding over the strings. His unfulfilled hopes. His charred past, his extinguished future. He played that which he would never play again."
Page 113