51 (edited by semyshak 2014-03-17 11:01:40)

Re: Characters

Juliek is a polish jew, he plays in th ebuna band as a violinist. Eliezer meets Juliek for the first time in Buna pg 111

52 (edited by sdudler 2014-03-17 10:57:07)

Juliek... "Eliezer... The twenty five whiplashes... Yes... I remember." (pg.111) Eliezer is a role model to Juliek because Eliezer survived the whip to live on to Buchenwald.

When I awoke at day at daybreak, I saw Juliek facing me, hunched over, dead. Next to him lay his violin, trampled, an eerily poignant little corpse. Pg 113

"I saw Juliek facing me, hunched over, dead. Next to him lay his violin, trampled, an eerily poignant little corpse." (pg.113)

55 (edited by joel.coutts 2014-03-17 11:03:02)

"My feet are swollen. Its good to rest, buy my violin..." (Juliek)
"What about your violin?"(Eliezer)
"I...Im afraid...They'll break...my violin...I...I brought it with me." pg.112
Juilek is more concerned with his violin, because it is has piece of home. the last thing he has of his existence, humanity. His soul. This little thing of wood, metal strings has more power a hold of him then anyone could realize. Including himself, anything could happen to Juliek but as long as his violin remains intact so does his soul. His body could be mangled, tore, battered, but his soul will live on through the violin. It is Julieks mirror, reflecting his soul, his personality into the darkness of the camps, he is the light. A miracle.

'Sudddenly i remembered. Juliek!" A boy from Warsaw who played the violin in the Buna band. Which is where Eliezer met him for the first time. "The twenty-five Whiplashes. Yes. I remember "Pg 111

On page 113 where Juliek is playing his violin. He is an image of Jesus, when jesus was on the cross he did not want to be consoled but instead he consoled his mother and disciples, and Juliek plays his music to console others.

I shall never forget Juliek, How could I forget this concert given before an audience of the dead and the dying? Even today, when I hear that particular piece by Beethoven, my eyes close and out of the darkness emerges the pale and melancholy face of my Polish comrade bidding farewell to an audience of dying men. Page 113

juliek proves that we can hold on to something even when we should have lost everything. This is just like when Eliezer had lost his golden crown.

juliek and the violin have a relationship like a father and son.

Juliek's broken violin laying on the cold ground foreshadows Julieks life broken, shattered, in pieces, Dead. Pg.113

62 (edited by nbielech 2014-03-17 11:12:23)

Juliek and his violin foreshadows Eliezer and his fathers survival and even though Eliezer survives, it portrays what could be him and his father's final fate... -pg 113

Even though Juliek is being crushed. He plays his violin not to tell what he has not done and the hope that remain unfulfilled by also to comfort his own soul in his dying breathe by loving what gave he meaning to life.

Eliezers family is being ripped apart, he watches his father begin to cry. My father was crying. It was the first time I saw him cry. I had never thought it possible. As for my mother, she was walking, her face a mask, without a word, deep in thought. I looked at my little sister, Tzipora, her blond hair neatly combed, her red coat over her arm: a little girl of seven. On her back a bag too heavy for her. She was clenching her teeth; she already knew it was useless to complain. Here and there, the police were lashing out with their clubs. "Faster!" I had no strength left. The journey had just begun and I already felt so weak.

This text uses words to describe the impossible, the unbelievable, we cant use words to describe that which are trying to describe, so the author uses comparison to describe that which he can not, to his readers. For example on page "next to him lay his violin, an eerily poignant little corpse." metaphor to his own corpse.

Rabbi Eliahu, who had headed a small congregation in Poland. A very kind man, beloved by everyone in the camp. Pg 108

Rabbi Eliahu... "Oh God, Master of the universe, give me strength never to do what Rabbi Eliahu's son has done." (pg.109)

Rabbi Eliahu: "He looked like one of those prophets of old,always in the midst of his people when they needed to be consoled. And strangly, his words never provoked anyone. They did bring peace." (page 108)

Rabbi: He looked like one of those prophets of old, always in the midst of his people when they needed to be consoled. And, strangely, his words never provoked anyone. They did bring peace. (page 108)

Rabbi Eliahu- Him and his son were together like Eliezer and his father. But unlike Eliezer, Eliahu's son left the Rabbi when he had the chance, hoping for the weight of taking care of the father to be off his shoulder- 109

Rabbi Eliahu-"Despite his ordeals and deprivations, his face continued to radiate innocence."
Page 108

"It was good I had forgotten all that. And I was glad Rabbi Eliahu continued to search for his beloved son."(pg. 109)

Rabbi Eliahu, page 108, the rabbi looks for his son, but his search is in-vain, for his son had given up on himself and his father, the son died in away that could be said that he was trying to get away from his father, as Eliezer says on page 109 "Oh God, master of the universe, give me the strength never to do what Rabbi Eliahu's son has done."

The Rabbi's son escapes him, telling Eliezer that he is rid of his father, later the Rabbi Eliahu came looking for his son, pg 109

75 (edited by jball 2014-03-17 11:23:22)

rabbi Eliahu: " when he came near me, Rabbi Eliahu whispered, it happened on the road. We lost sight of one another during the journey. i fell behind a little, at the rear of the column. I i didn't have the strength to run anymore." page 109