Re: Characters

Rabbi Eliahu's determination to live is a because of a shallow hope of finding his son.A hope that's as fragile as cracked glass. As the fear of what has happened to his son fills his mind; his soul become that fragile glass.
"And i was glad that Rabbi Eliahu continued to search for his beloved son."(pg.109)

Franek, the foreman, one day noticed the gold crown in my mouth: "Let me have your crown, kid." Page 72

Franek smiled. "What would you like? That I break your teeth by smashing your face?"- 74

Page 68, Franek: Seems to have some humanity for he lets, Eliezer and his father work together. Where as other people would have probably said no, and whipped them for their insolence.

Only Idek, the Kapo, occasionally has fits of madness, and then you'd better stay out of his way. (pg 68)

Unfortunately, Franek knew how to handle this; he knew my weak spot. My father had never served in the military and could not march in step. page 73

82 (edited by shryciuk 2014-03-17 11:38:19)

Franek: "Franek, the foreman, assigned me to a corner:
'Don't kill yourself. There's no hurry. But watch out. Don't let an SS catch you.'.
'Please sir, I'd like to be near my father.'.
'All right. Your father will work here, next to you.'.
We were lucky." (page 68)

devan: Franek became pleasant again. From time to time, he even gave me extra soup. But it didn't last long.

"Franek became pleasant again. From time to time, he even gave me extra soup."pg 74
Giving Franek awards even though he tortured Eliezer and his father for the longest time.

Franek-"...And because you made me wait, it will cost you a ration of bread. A ration of bread for one of my pals, a famous dentist from Warsaw. To pay him for pulling out your crown."
Page 74
Franek not only makes Eliezer give up his crown, but forced him to pay for the process of getting it pulled with a rusty spoon.

Idek: when I reached to the back of the building, I heard sounds coming from a small adjoining room. I moved closer and had a glimpse of Idek and a young polish girl, half naked, on a straw mat. I now understood why Idek refused to leave us in the camp. page 75

87 (edited by kvoltner 2014-03-18 10:26:22)

Mrs. Schachter: She was in her fifties and her ten year old son was with her, crouched in a corner. Page 42

Mrs. Schachter: She was howling,pointing through the window: "Look! Look at this fire! This terrible fire! Have mercy on me!" Page 43

89 (edited by agosselin 2014-03-18 10:37:21)

Idek: "one day when Idek was venting his fury, I happened to cross his path. He threw himself on me like a wild beast, beating me in the chest, on my head, throwing me to the ground and picking me up again, crushing me with ever more violent blows, until I was covered in blood." (pg.71)

Moishe the Beadle- "Man comes closer to God through the questions he asks Him, he liked to say. Therein lies true dialogue. Man asks and God replies. But we don't understand His replies. We cannot understand them. BEcause they dwell in the depths of our souls and remain there until we die. The real answers, Eliezer, you will find only within yourself."
Page 23

"The night seemed endless. By daybreak, Mrs. Schachter had settled down. Sitting in her corner,her black gaze fixed on some far away place, she no longer saw us. Durring the day she was quiet , but by night she began to shout again "The fire ,over there "! Pg.44

92 (edited by joel.coutts 2014-03-18 10:45:13)

Page 42 and 43, Mrs.Schachter, sees the flames outside of the train car, a reflection within herself, the foreshadowing of the flames the Jews will see in the camps upon arrival. A prophet just like Moishe the Beadle, no believed them when they warned the people about their inevitable doom. Ignorance they ignore them, doubt, they don't want to hear the truth even though the truth will catch up to them in the end. Fire itself is metaphor for transfiguration from body to soul, soul to God, God to man, man to death. Fear to faith; faith in self, in others, in family; in God. Mrs.Schachter is the mirror reflecting the flames that dwell within in her.

Moishe- "And why do you pray, Moishe.?" I asked him
"I pray to the God within me for the strength to ask Him the real questions."
Page 23

" There are a thousand and one gates allowing entry into the orchard of mystical truth. Every human has his own gate. He must not err and wish to enter through another gate, dangers him and those inside" pg 23 Moishe the Beadle

Mrs.Schachter: Standing in the middle of the car, in the faint light filtering through the windows, she looked like a withered tree in a field of wheat. (page 43)

Mrs. Schächter: "Do you you remember Mrs. Schächter, in the train?" (pg.52) Shlomo discusses the reality of the flames that Mrs. Schächter describes.

Moishe the Beadle was the exception. He stayed out of people's way. His presence bothered no one. He had mastered the art of rendering himself insignificant, invisible. Page 21

But when were pulling into the station. someone near a window read to us "Auschwitz"Nobody had ever heard that name. pg.45
Mrs Schachter foreshadows the fate of the jewish people on the cattle cars . The great fire she keeps screaming about at night represents the concentration camp Auschwitz.

Mrs. Sachachter- A few young men forced her down, then bound and gaged her... when they actually struck her people shouted their approval.. She received blows to the head, blows that could have been lethal. -pg 44

Eliezer's Father- "The yellow star? So what? It's not lethal. . ." (Poor Father! Of what then did you die?)
Page 29