Re: Characters

Mrs. Shachter: "once again, the young men bound and gagged her. When they actually struck her, people shouted their approval..." (pg.44)

Gods answers are kept in the soul (dwell in the depths of our souls until we die) pg 23 Moishe  the Beadle

Moishe the Beadle: madness in his eyes. He talked on and on about the brutality of the killers. “Listen to me!” he would shout. “I’m telling the truth. On my life, I swear it!” But the people were deaf to his pleas. I liked him and could not bring myself to believe him. (page 29)

Eliezer - "First night at camp. Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever" pg 52

Elizers Father: was a cultured man, rather unsentimental, involved with welfare of others than with that of his own child. (page 22)

106 (edited by eric.walker 2014-03-18 10:44:35)

Pg. 48 ""Hey kid, how old are you?"
             "Fifteen."
            "No, you're eighteen."
Elie is saved by a stranger, and first learns what happens to those under eighteen.

Elizer: "I succeeded on my own in finding a master for myself in the perosn of Moishe the Beadle" (page 22)

He began beating him with an iron bar. At first, my father simply doubled over under the blows, but then he seemed to break in two like an old tree struck by lightning.
p.g 72

Eliezer: "I became A-7713. From then on, I had no other name." (pg.60)

Page 130 Eliezer and his father "I remained more than an hour leaning over him, looking at him, etching his bloody, broken face into my mind."  Eliezer by looking at is father is seeing his own reflection. He is looking at what he has become, staring into is future. When Eliezer looks into the mirror at the end of the book, he says "From the depths of the mirror, a corpse was contemplating me." He uses the word corpse meaning dead body, he himself like his father is death soulless.

In a fraction of a second, i could see my mother , my sisters move to the right. Tzipora was holding my mothers hand. I saw them walk farther and farther away. Mother was stroking my sisters hair as if to protect her.And i walked with my father, with the men. "I didnt know this was the moment in time and place where i was leaving my mother and Tzipora forever "(Pg.47) I kept walking ,My father holding my hand

Moishe the beadle: "there are a thousand and one gates allowing entry into the orchard of mystical truth. Every human being has his own gate. He must not err and wish to enter the orchard through a gate other than his own. That would present a danger not only for the one entering but also for those who are already inside."(pg.23)

Eliezers father: "When will it be our turn?"(Eliezer)
"The day after tomorrow. Unless things work out. A miracle perhaps..."(Father)
(page 36)

Shlomo: "You mustn't eat all at once. Tomorrow is another day...."(pg.62)

First time: Mrs. Schachter screams they comfort her
second time: Mrs. Schachter screams they gag her
third time: Mrs. Schachter screams they do nothing.
page: 44

Everyday, my father was getting weaker. His eyes were watery, his face the colour of dead leaves.
p.g 125

Eliezer- "The student of Talmud, the child I was, had been consumed by flames. All that was left was a shape that resembled me"- pg55
Current events change Eliezer. Although he doesn't see it, it is really shaping him to be stronger not weaker. He survived because of this moment of change in his life. His heart became cold and sad for the lives lost, but he knew that he could not be one of them, for he like all those who past had so much to lose.

"The world? The world is not interested in us. Today everything is possible, even the crematoria..." His voice broke. "Father," I said. "If that is true, then I don't want to wait. I'll run into the electrified barbed wire. That would be easier than a slow death in the flames." Page 51

Eliezer Father… "Don't give in! You must resist! Don't lose faith in yourself!"
page 120

Eliezer- Death, which was settling in all around me, silently, gently. It would seize upon a sleeping person, steal into him and devour him bit by bit.
p.g 107

"Well, Father, what do we do?" He was silent. "Let's be evacuated with the others," I said. He didn't answer. He was looking at my foot. "You think you'll be able to walk?" "Yes I think so." "Let's hope we won't regret it, Eliezer."  Page 100

This suggests that their relationship is stronger because this is the first time Eliezer's father has used his name in the book.

Conversation between Eleizer and Yehiel "Don't cry Yehiel, don't waste your tears"
"Not cry? We are on the threshold of death. Soon, we shall be inside.... Do you not understand?" pg 54. Eliezer is attempting to pull Yehiel out of giving up on life, to keep fighting.

Containment camp life would be indescribable. The conditions? Dreadful. The hatred shared between or on human being being displayed in the even are draw dropping and unforgettable. When prisoners fell under the blow weakness, There was no mercy shared between the SS guards and prisoners. Eliezer talks about a event he recalls where no mercy or forgiveness is displayed to another human being. "Behind me, a old man fell to the ground. Nearby, an SS man replaced his revolver in its holster." Pg. 48

I WATCHED other hangings. I never saw a single victim weep. These withered bodies had long forgotten the bitter taste of tears. pg 81

125 (edited by kvoltner 2014-03-18 11:10:20)

I ran to look for my father. At the same time I was afraid of having to wish him a happy new year in which I no longer believed. He was leaning against the wall, bent shoulders sagging as if under a heavy load. I went up to him, took his hand and kissed it. I felt a tear on my hand. Whose was it? Mine? I said nothing. Nor did he. Never before had we understood each other so clearly. Page 86 & 87