1 (edited by breindl 2008-04-29 08:56:55)

Topic: The Five Paragraph Essay

Okay what is this so called "5 paragraph essay question"? Do I have to raise a controversial issue about something? Becuause it seems to me that you don't have to be asking someone about a topic in an essay but telling them about the topic. Explain please.

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

The question(s) will come from the course focus questions.

The essay will be an examination of the author's exploration of the question(s).

Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines ____________. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding ____________?

3

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

Ok so everyone reading this... Mr. Sader has told me that your essay must relate to both your book and the author of your book. Also the ideas behind the book and in the text should be included.

4

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

So the essay absolutely has to be about your author and book? Not that I have any other ideas but are we able to write about something else?

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

The question + the book = your essay. Synthesizing additional material? Yes, so long as it furthers your response to the question in response to the book(see rubric).  What question(s) are you focusing on?

6 (edited by breindl 2008-05-08 08:57:14)

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

You must explain to me exctly what this question is. I am not re-writing my essay until I have instruction/explaination on why my essay was wrong. I have written two essays already, and they were both wrong. Do you want me to pass or not?

7

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

Yea ben I tottally agree with you. I am clueless of what to do so when you find out you gotta tell me or something cause ive written 2 essays so far and they both turned out to be wrong so im not wasting my time on something I gotta redo anyway!

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

breindl wrote:

You must explain to me exctly what this question is. I am not re-writing my essay until I have instruction/explaination on why my essay was wrong. I have written two essays already, and they were both wrong. Do you want me to pass or not?

Read instructions on how to write a 5 paragraph essay? Did you choose a focus from the course focus questions? Did you talk to me to be certain before. Did you complete an Essay Plan using the Essay Plan sheet you were given?  Did you show me your plan? Show me a thesis, show me a topic sentence, show me what evidence you've selected. Look at your checklist, show me what you've been asked for, one bit at a time.

Plan first. Show me your thesis, show me your topics for paragraphs, show me what evidence from your book you'll be using to defend your thesis. Discuss your plan.

Stop the guessing. Make a good plan first. It's hard to ask for help, do it, do the plan.

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

lbosgra wrote:

Yea ben I tottally agree with you. I am clueless of what to do so when you find out you gotta tell me or something cause ive written 2 essays so far and they both turned out to be wrong so im not wasting my time on something I gotta redo anyway!

I haven't seen an Essay Plan for either of them. Start there.

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

breindl wrote:

You must explain to me exctly what this question is. I am not re-writing my essay until I have instruction/explaination on why my essay was wrong. I have written two essays already, and they were both wrong. Do you want me to pass or not?

All writing is rewriting. Drop the hostility. Be humble. Be patient. Read the assignment, read the comments on your paper, read the rubric. Rewrite.

Google "5 paragraph essay." Look at what you've written... critically. Try again.

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

dsader wrote:
lbosgra wrote:

Yea ben I tottally agree with you. I am clueless of what to do so when you find out you gotta tell me or something cause ive written 2 essays so far and they both turned out to be wrong so im not wasting my time on something I gotta redo anyway!

I haven't seen an Essay Plan for either of them. Start there.

Redo is a practice I provide to any student to continually improve a grade, your loss. You are right, you don't have to take full advantage of my generosity. I hope you change your mind.

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

dsader wrote:

The question(s) will come from the course focus questions.

The essay will be an examination of the author's exploration of the question(s).

Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines ____________. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding ____________?

Choose one of the following as a focus:
Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines Identity and Sense of Self. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding Identity and Sense of Self?

Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines Human Qualities and Ideals. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding Human Qualities and Ideals?

Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines Human Relationships. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding Human Relationships?

Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines Joy and Inspiration. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding Joy and Inspiration?

Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines Doubt and Fear. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding Doubt and Fear?

Look at your brainstorming, maps, lists, webs, notes, whatever you made while (re)reading.
Consider the related questions to each topic to generate subtopics. Do some thinking, collect evidence.
Turn 3-5 argumentative subtopics into paragraphs by finding example/reason/details. Each paragraph should have a topic sentence with plenty of examples/reasons/details.
Wrap it all in an Intro and a Conclusion and you are done.
The Essay Plan sheet is pretty clear, I think.

13

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

Thank you for the instruction. It is much appreciated. You must excuse my rashness but I find it rather annoying when I write what I consider to be two excellent and long essays only to have the both returned to me       
without a mark. With these new instructions it will be far easier to formulate a new essay.

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

breindl wrote:

Thank you for the instruction. It is much appreciated. You must excuse my rashness but I find it rather annoying when I write what I consider to be two excellent and long essays only to have the both returned to me       
without a mark. With these new instructions it will be far easier to formulate a new essay.

Rash is fine, just never give up . . . or threaten too.


An essay is a very particular format, unless you are following a set pattern of organization it may not in fact be an essay. Similarly, a paragraph must contain very specific types of sentences, if any are amiss, a paragraph you have not made.


To fix a car with a flat tire, you fix the tire. You don't rebuild the entire car.

Fix the parts that need fixing.

15 (edited by jveitch 2008-05-09 09:36:02)

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

So I'm slightly confused on what to write in my outline for my thesis. I tried to write my topic sentences before my thesis and tried to put those three topic sentences into my thesis, which is what you're suppose to do is what I understand. Does it matter what order you do your topic sentences and thesis in on the outline?

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

jveitch wrote:

So I'm slightly confused on what to write in my outline for my thesis. I tried to write my topic sentences before my thesis and tried to put those three topic sentences into my thesis, which is what you're suppose to do is what I understand. Does it matter what order you do your topic sentences and thesis in on the outline?

Good question. Answer=Transitions

There is order to the paragraphs.

Start strong, end strong, burry your weakest argument in the middle.

17

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

Thanks for the instructions. It really is frustrating when you say things are wrong..but i guess its just because I didnt know the full instructions. Thanks Mr.Sader

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

lbosgra wrote:

Thanks for the instructions. It really is frustrating when you say things are wrong..but i guess its just because I didnt know the full instructions. Thanks Mr.Sader

You had the planning sheet the whole time. Make the plan.

19

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

Even with all these instructions I am still unable to succesfully write my plan. The instructions you give are to complicating to finish. Like I write my essay plan and to me it seems good but it doesn't all seem to fit with my focus question.

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

branbardoel wrote:

Even with all these instructions I am still unable to succesfully write my plan. The instructions you give are to complicating to finish. Like I write my essay plan and to me it seems good but it doesn't all seem to fit with my focus question.

Show me one piece of your plan at a time. Start by planning the first body paragraph. Show me the topic sentence. Then the next, then the next.

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

branbardoel wrote:

to me it seems good but it doesn't all seem to fit with my focus question.

The focus is everything. You will be asked to write dozens, hundreds of essays as a student... all starting from a focus question.

The essay must answer the question. There is no way around that.

Every step of the process a voice in your head must be asking "Does this answer the question? Where's the proof? Does this answer the question? Where's the proof? Does this answer the question? Where's the proof?" If it doesn't, delete and refocus.

22

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

So, you are saying that if I were to use an example of Character, I would have to say which one like "Honesty" and tell why it focuses on that topic?

Re: The Five Paragraph Essay

flyon wrote:

So, you are saying that if I were to use an example of Character, I would have to say which one like "Honesty" and tell why it focuses on that topic?

dsader wrote:

Choose one of the following as a focus:
Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines Identity and Sense of Self. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding Identity and Sense of Self?

Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines Human Qualities and Ideals. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding Human Qualities and Ideals?

Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines Human Relationships. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding Human Relationships?

Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines Joy and Inspiration. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding Joy and Inspiration?

Write an essay based on literature you have studied in which the author examines Doubt and Fear. What idea(s) does the writer develop regarding Doubt and Fear?

Look at your brainstorming, maps, lists, webs, notes, whatever you made while (re)reading.
Consider the related questions to each topic to generate subtopics. Do some thinking, collect evidence.
Turn 3-5 argumentative subtopics into paragraphs by finding example/reason/details. Each paragraph should have a topic sentence with plenty of examples/reasons/details.
Wrap it all in an Intro and a Conclusion and you are done.
The Essay Plan sheet is pretty clear, I think.