Topic: Focus Questions - English 20

Just like last year we need to decide on key focus questions to base our posts on.
Do you have any ideas?

I was thinking along the same kind of lines as last year.

2 (edited by csommer 2008-09-08 09:00:24)

Re: Focus Questions - English 20

I also think that our focus questions from last year. Values, decisions, consequences are all focus questions that everyone can relate to.

I agree and think that we should go with decisions action or apathy. Decisions are a vital part of life and everyone has many experiences where decision making applies.

4 (edited by mpottle 2008-09-08 09:51:58)

The Equality pain and pride would be common to our grade 11 class. It would add more personal voice to writing. There are multiple options and opinions to this topic.

5 (edited by cuandersen 2008-09-08 09:53:10)

I think that a good focus question would be Environment and Technology–Reality and Responsibility. It is up to us to protect the environment and to create new technology. The environment around us will be destroyed if people don't act and try to diminish pollution and other things that help to destroying the environment. This is a reality and I think it would be cool to base our studies on this.

I was actually thinking "The Human Condition- In Search of Self". I think this would be a great course topic because most of us at this time in are in search of self. We did Action vs. Apathy last year and this would greatly contribute to In search of self because it was based on decisions and making decisions  helps us find our true character.

I think we should choose the focus questions of equality- pain and pride. These focuses question would allow us to add personal experiences really easy. We are at the age where we face all of these problems and have responsibilities so we all receive pain and pride.

I agree that the focus questions from last year.It will be to our class benefit to understand and have a clear image of what our focus questions are and what the expectations are.

9 (edited by cmccormack 2008-09-08 09:59:13)

We should create some new questions so we aren't writing similar posts over and over again. With different focus questions we will be able to write about different life experiences than the past years

Now that I have read Mr. Sader's post, I'd have to agree with Amie that our course focus questions should be "The Human Condition - In Search of Self". Reading other's posts I could see that they were already heading down that category. Let's try a new topic this year and see how we change through our thought-provoking posts.

I have now looked at different options of focus questions on Mr. Sader's blog I think  the focus questions equality- pain and pride and The Human Condition- In Search of Self. These focus questions are also easy to relate to and will help us be able to use our voices throughout our posts.

12 (edited by justin 2008-09-08 09:34:30)

Last years focus questions were really easy to relate to and helped us put more voice in our posts.Values, and Consequences were good to write about but I think we should get new questions.I support having our focus questions as Equality-pain and pride.These focus questions would allow us to add personal experiences adding more voice.

Equality-pain and pride is the focus question we should be exploring and discussing to a deeper extent. Justice and fairness in today's society is often overlooked especially when is comes to racial slurs and issues. As a society we tend to judge others quickly based on one action rather then knowing who the person actually is. Learning to gather knowledge on a person before we judge them is a life skill we must obtain.

I believe that the last years focus questions that I've heard sound like questions that I could easily relate to. Values, decisions, and consequences focus questions would help us understand ourselves and our classmates better.

We should keep some of the stronger focus questions from last year, like consequences and values but also make incorporate questions that are adapted to the growth we have all made this summer. We are a year older and a year more mature, we are ready to embrace the focus question change that will help us develop into better English 20 students. I support the Equality- Pain and Pride as well as The Human Condition- In Search of Self focus questions

Equality-pain and pride seems to be the best option. We all need to realize that we live with one another as equals. This focus question could help all of us to understand the pain and hardship, every person goes through. No one person is "better" than the other, whether the color of skin, tone of voice, clothes they wear, etc. This is a definite option that could benefit the majority of the class - with a few exception - in understanding what each person has to go through with each day.

I think that If we keep the same focus question's we will have alot of the same answers and thoughts its a new year and time for new idea's.

Equality pride and pain sound like the best topic question.We need to relize we all go through hardships and that people shouldn't vent there life problems to others hoping that they care.Its hard to help someone when you already have you'r own problems to deal with.

Equality pain and pride would be a good focus question for this year. There are many global issues and also our own personal issues that we could relate to this question.

The human condition- in search of self is a good focus question to relate to this year. It will help everyone this year  find their true self. These questions are also very easy to relate to.

I like keeping The Human Condition for Grade 9 or Grade 12.  Choose between Equality–Pain and Pride or Environment and Technology–Reality and Responsibility

Well, I just learned something about a very popular high school book - Brave New World is being turned into a movie in 2011. Rumored cast/crew include Sir Ridley Scott and Leonardo DiCaprio. The big deal for me is that the screenplay is by Andrew Niccol. Niccol wrote screenplays for Lord of War, The Terminal, S1m0ne, The Truman Show, and Gattaca. Niccol is also writing the screen play for a bio of Salvador Dali, Dali & I: The Surreal Story.

I think I've stumbled into the decision about what we'll be reading/watching over the next while.

With this new information in mind, what focus questions(a.k.a. Themes) are a best fit. Google whatever you can about Brave New World.

Oh, and I already own all Niccol's DVDs.

I'd prefer if we could use Equality - Pain and Pride for our focus questions.

I think Equality- Pain and Pride is a good focus question for English 20. This topic is easy for teenagers to relate to and write posts with voice.

I will chose Equality- Pain and Pride because while being in Grade 11 we do think about this topic a lot in day to day living. Hardships are a great thing to talk about because we have experienced them and are going to in the future.