Topic: Addicted?

There are so many people these days relying on technology that they don't even notice or even consider that they're addicted.
-Would you consider a majority the people of today to be addicted, or even yourself?
-How do you feel about the excessive use of technology and the extreme actions some people do due to what technology has driven them to do?

Re: Addicted?

Personally, I think that technology is coming to such an age that it will cause destruction. But thats just me.

MelissaMerro wrote:

There are so many people these days relying on technology that they don't even notice or even consider that they're addicted.
-Would you consider a majority the people of today to be addicted, or even yourself?
-How do you feel about the excessive use of technology and the extreme actions some people do due to what technology has driven them to do?

My grandparents listened to radio 24/7 everywhere they went, cars, malls, work, home. Addicts.

My parents watch TV 24/7. The household TV was on whenever someone was in the house. Addicts

Today, I have smartphone close by, a computer in the house that is in constant connection to the net and the TV always on. Addict.

I tried to buy a new van without a DVD, Sirius, Phone, iPod - but there were none without these bells n' whistles. Addict.

Is this the kind of technology that will destroy us, or is it merely the technology that defines us.

What are the symptoms of addicton that you notice? Are the examples I've mentioned destructive?

The reason people rely on technology is because the world is changing we don't rely on the paper as much.

I think we are all addicted even if we don't notice. But I don't believe it will destroy us.

your like my mother saying that people these days need technology, but you are so true it makes life easier, but what people don't relies is that we rely on it to much. sad

Well, we've come into a new age, where technology is necessary for almost everything we do; and almost everybody is included in some part of it. Although, there are still some people who are against it, and wish the old days were back.

wsieben started a discussion about world history you might want to chime in on, too. I included a link there to emerging technologies.

Do you think the world has changed much in the past 40 years. What will you be talking, listening, viewing into in 40 years?

In my opinion we are not addicted but rather obsessed. When I say that we are Obsessed I mean that our generation is always striving to find new and better ways to make life easier for us all. There are people so passionate about technology that they wont stop working until they have come up with a new way to vacume the floors without actualy doing the work. I heard reacently that N.A.S.A is planning to send a rocket to the moon to blow a chunk out of it ind test the chunks for proof of water. Thats the kind's of extemes people who are passionate about moving forward will go to.

Some people like my dad dont care about the new technology they like how to do it the old way.

nsancaster wrote:

In my opinion we are not addicted but rather obsessed. When I say that we are Obsessed I mean that our generation is always striving to find new and better ways to make life easier for us all. There are people so passionate about technology that they wont stop working until they have come up with a new way to vacume the floors without actualy doing the work. I heard reacently that N.A.S.A is planning to send a rocket to the moon to blow a chunk out of it ind test the chunks for proof of water. Thats the kind's of extemes people who are passionate about moving forward will go to.

Been there, done that.

Technology is becoming part of our world. We have all grown up with technology and will see it change over our lifetimes. Almost everyone, I would say, is addicted but unaware of it because it is all we know.

mkasyan wrote:

Personally, I think that technology is coming to such an age that it will cause destruction. But thats just me.

The world is going to end, thats a given, but it is possible that technology could in-fact save us from a natural destruction, but it could also destroy us, so in a sense, technology is a double-edged sword in my opinion, and I also believe everyone is addicted in some way to technology, its become part of our lives and it'll always will be until we die, but again thats only my opinion.

bnichols wrote:
mkasyan wrote:

The world is going to end, thats a given, but it is possible that technology could in-fact save us from a natural destruction, but it could also destroy us, so in a sense, technology is a double-edged sword in my opinion, and I also believe everyone is addicted in some way to technology, its become part of our lives and it'll always will be until we die, but again thats only my opinion.

We don't know technology could also destroy us in the future.

I agree that we rely on technology alot, We just want things to be easier for us, so people keep creating new technology.

Well look at it this way. Technology for one thing has saved many lives. For medicine their are machines and yes even medicine (which I believe is a form of technology) have been made in 20 years that would have amazed people from the thirties. It has made cars safer, with the computer those unemployed can go to a public library and find them selfs a job, and really people can listen to the news and be more aware of what's happening. On the darker side of the moon I truly believe that technology as indeed made nuclear bombs and the atomic bomb. I wish I could say that without these bombs nothing would be as huge as the things that were happening. But then looking in the past you must see that millions were killed using swords. SO no matter what there is going to be something new and improved.

An interesting point Callum. Just imagine some of the new technologies that could be in our world in our lifetime even more destructive than we have now.

The thing I don't understand is if Star Wars was a long time ago in a land far away than by now they should tavel to other galaxies should they not?

bnichols wrote:
mkasyan wrote:

That's so true; I mean, if you know anything about what is supposed to happen in 2012, isn't the question now, will it happen because of our advance into technology?

Ask this guy about what'll happen in 2012?

Then read about Turing Test.

If the technological stuff doesn't kill us, those that can't tell the difference between technology and people will destroy us.

Look at necluer bombs  that's technology that could destroy the world

dpottle wrote:

Look at necluer bombs  that's technology that could destroy the world

Paradoxically, the "free energy" released from nuclear fission could solve the world's energy needs, too.

They said that in 2000 that computers will destroy the world but look now its 10 years later and were still hear.

well i dont think the wold wont be destroyed for another 20 years. because look at the past 50 years how mush technology we have discovered maybe someone can think of a device that can destroy the world!!

25 (edited by ewalker 2009-10-20 14:13:37)

...we'll make sentient robots, they'll realize their more powerful than us, and then they'll destroy us. Hello Terminator, good bye human existence. Or it will be the Grim Future and they'll only be war.