Topic: Grade Nine Focus Question

Do we write this post about our books, or do we write it about ourselves, and do we have to answer every one of the questions in the category we chose?

Re: Grade Nine Focus Question

Those are good questions that I had too.

i had those questions to

Yes; the post is supposed to be written about your book, about the questions, but mostly it is supposed to connect to you. You do not have to answer every one of the questions in the category you choose; that is what Mr.Sader is expecting everyone to do. He wants you to think outside of the box, and see if you can get 3-5 paragraphs out of just 1 or 2 of the questions in the category.

mkasyan wrote:

Yes; the post is supposed to be written about your book, about the questions, but mostly it is supposed to connect to you. You do not have to answer every one of the questions in the category you choose; that is what Mr.Sader is expecting everyone to do. He wants you to think outside of the box, and see if you can get 3-5 paragraphs out of just 1 or 2 of the questions in the category.

Well put.

tklatt wrote:

Do we write this post about our books, or do we write it about ourselves, and do we have to answer every one of the questions in the category we chose?

The diagram on the backside of your reading log suggests the focus at the centre, with connections to self, text, and/or the world spiraling out from there.

dsader wrote:
tklatt wrote:

The diagram on the backside of your reading log suggests the focus at the centre, with connections to self, text, and/or the world spiraling out from there.

I would recommend introducing your focus, your text(aka Novel) and the connections you'll be making(you decide) in paragraph 1, then discuss each connection one by one in the following paragraphs. Finish with a closing paragraph and your 3 paragraph problem becomes a five paragraph solution right quick.

http://www.howtowriteoutline.com/

or

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/544/02/

or google "how to write an outline"

Also a good planning strategy is to consider the following connections to your book:

http://forpd.ucf.edu/strategies/stratText.html wrote:

Below are some examples of questions that can be used to facilitate student connections:

Text-to-self:
What does this remind me of in my life?
What is this similar to in my life?
How is this different from my life?
Has something like this ever happened to me?
How does this relate to my life?
What were my feelings when I read this?

Text-to-text:
What does this remind me of in another book I’ve read?
How is this text similar to other things I’ve read?
How is this different from other books I’ve read?
Have I read about something like this before?

Text-to-world:
What does this remind me of in the real world?
How is this text similar to things that happen in the real world?
How is this different from things that happen in the real world?
How did that part relate to the world around me?

Try this To Do list for writing this post:

Step One: read a book, or read enough to write about it somewhat while you...
Step Two: pick a focus question or questions
Step Three: think carefully about connecting your text to self, other texts, and/or the world while you...
Step Four: rough out a plan for what your 3-5 main points will be in response to the question(s). Write as much or as little about any questions/connections you choose.
Step Five: publish the post - include hyperlinks and an image, comments, spreadsheet, and rubric.

thanks for all the help i think i understand it now.

tklatt wrote:

thanks for all the help i think i understand it now.

Thanks, taking the time to write it all down helps me figure it out, too.

It helped me a lot also

Thanks everyone who said what to do. That helped me out.

that helped, thanks.

where do we find the focus Questions???

rhunter wrote:

where do we find the focus Questions???

Hopefully, you've had a copy in your binder this whole time attached to your course outline: roll

2009-10 Grade 9s = The Human Condition: In Search of Self

Thanks for the info.

Thanx for your help Taylor and Mr sader smile