Topic: Holes -Louis Sachar

In this novel, a boy named Stanley Yelnats was born into poverty with him and just his two parents living in a small home. The first couple pages in this book already had me feeling sympathy towards him and that already made me interested in finishing this book. Literally, the 3rd page of the book had Stanley already going to a teenage prison for stealing some type of special shoe. He was doing this to maybe sell the shoe for the money, that was the incentive that got him on a bus on the way to a place way out in the desert.

Re: Holes -Louis Sachar

When Stanley got to the desert prison he met a man named Mr. Sir, he already got a weird scary vibe of the place. The kind of vibe where you know something about to go down, something bad. Everyone has gotten this feeling once in their life.

After being at camp for a little while Stanley started to get the hang of things. Every day they would go out and start to dig holes for the sole purpose to find an object of value to hand to the warden. No one knew why they did this but I would be very curious if I was involved.

People started chatting at the camp and a word got out to Stanley about a deadly animal called the yellow-spotted lizard. Apparently, these animals have a highly dangerous toxin in their venom that could almost instantly kill a full grown man. Every time I hear about dangerous animals, I get freaked out. I never like the idea of dying to another living thing.

Stanley came across a fossil while he was out digging holes. He believed this find should get him his day off but Mr.Pendanski thought otherwise. When Stanley turned in his fossil he was told he won't be receiving his day off because of the warden isn't interested in fossils. This is the worst type of rejection because Stanley thought he completed what he needed but turns out he was wrong which is a horrible feeling.

Stanley continued to dig holes week after week in the burning sun. It started to seem like an unfair punishment for the actions he committed. Just stealing a shoe? He shouldn't have to suffer this much I think.

With all of these rules and holes being dug up for the purpose of soul punishment, suspicion is starting to rise in Stanley's mind. Plus the warden keeps accepting certain items that are dug up and giving the children rewards for getting lucky. It seems they are handing in clues and everything is one big mystery. I couldn't imagine having to live in the condition these kids are working in, the hot sun would burn and inhaling the dirt all day cant be great for the kids overall health.

Everyday Stanley would wake up aching in pain, a terrible pain where his legs and arms were just numb. Most kids in today's world don't even start working until they are an adult because they are just supported by their parents but these juveniles were forced into this by their actions. Actions they can't go back on now.

The yellow-spotted lizard is a deadly animal located in the camp that crossed Stanley's mind when he overheard two kids talking about it. Imagine getting poisoned by such a small but deadly animal. It would feel so humiliating to have your life end by a tiny little being like that.