1 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-09-28 13:36:04)

Topic: Wildwood by:Colin Meloy

In the beginning of this book the author, Colin Meloy, introduces the main character, Prue McKeel. Prue is a questioning, responsible girl, with a love of reading. Which is why I relate to her so much, meaning if I had to choose someone to hang out with it would be her because we share many of the same qualities. Prue is the oldest of two children in her family with an energetic one year old brother named Mac. One day after returning library books Prue and Mac went to the park in their neighbourhood. While they are there numerous crows began landing near and flying over Mac. Soon there became so many crows that they began to lift Mac off the ground and into the sky. Prue was so shocked at the sight that she was motionless. When Prue finally snaps out of it, it’s to late to save Mac from the murder of crows. They were already a mile away from Prue and heading towards what the people of Portland called “The Impassable Wilderness.” It is called this because no one has ever returned after entering and no one lives there since it is so overgrown with trees. This is where Prue’s adventure to save her baby brother begins in the book Wildwood.

Re: Wildwood by:Colin Meloy

As I continued reading in the book Wildwood, I found myself feeling as if I was in the book itself, worrying about my friends little brother and how we could solve the situation. I couldn't imagine what Prue is feeling right now, since she doesn't know how this is going to play out either. After losing her baby brother to the murder of crows, Prue devises a plan to trick her parents into believing everything is fine by wrapping up a wet towel up into the shape of a swaddled baby. Prue's plan works and her parents never suspect a thing. The next day Prue woke up very early in the morning to sneak out of the house, to try and find her brother. While riding her bike to the area where the incident happened Prue notices that one of her classmates, Curtis, who lives just a few blocks down from her house, was following her. Prue confronted Curtis asking what he knew about the situation, Prue thought he knew to much about the situation and demanded he not tell. Curtis agreed but decided to help Prue on her journey to find her brother. In this chapter it reminded me of the time I lost my favourite toy when I was little, and I looked everywhere for it but never found it. I hope Prue's story doesn't end like mine.

When I retaking to my book, I realized how similar Curtis and I are, we both love to draw, are goofy sometimes, and like to play sports. In the book Curtis and Prue are entering “The Impassable Wilderness.” Prue and Curtis walk and talked about the things maybe living in the woods. Coyotes? Wildcats? They weren’t sure. After taking a short break, both Curtis and Prue froze with fear, because standing before them were two coyotes wearing navy blue uniforms who seemed to be talking in English. Prue and Curtis tried to be as quiet as possible but they were soon spotted by the coyotes. Both running as fast as they could in different directions, and scared for their lives were no match for the coyotes, and Curtis was captured. The Coyotes took Curtis back to their headquarters and introduced him to their leader the, Dowager Governess. Prue was hiding in some bushes when she saw them carry Curtis away, trying not to blow her cover Prue stayed there overnight until she saw a mail truck driving through the woods. This chapter had me holding on to each and every word, it was definitely the best one so far.

4 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-09-30 08:11:28)

Today, I learned more about the main character in the book I’m currently invested in, Wildwood. I learned that Prue McKeel is fearless, when she saw the van coming she ran right out in front of it and when it stopped she hopped in. The driver of the mail truck, Richard, had be driving through the woods for decades and he knew all about its magic. He explained that Prue was an outsider because the woods had a spell cast upon it to keep humans out. If any humans did enter they would be trapped in an unforgiving maze until the woods finally spit them out somewhere, unless the human entering had magic in their blood or had entered with someone who had magic in their blood. Richard decided he would take Prue to the Governor-Regent after Prue had told him her predicament. Richard said the Governor-Regent would help her on her journey. Curtis was still being held captive by the Dowager Governess, who interrogated him but it wasn’t all bad she fed Curtis wine, stew, and fresh greens. After eating Curtis fell asleep, when he woke in the morning he was given a navy blue uniform that matched the uniforms of the coyotes. If I had to guess why the Dowager Governess gave Curtis the uniform I would say it's because she is forcing him to join her army of coyotes. In this chapter I wish I could learn to be as fearless and trusting as Prue.

5 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-09-16 12:52:23)

As I advanced further in my book, I realized how different this book was from any other books I've read.  It's had a dark plot in the in the beginning where as most of my other books don’t, which is a difference that I like. Going on with my book I found out that, the Dowager Governess has appointed Curtis as one of her soldiers to fight in battle with her when they go to war which she said may be soon. After deciding where to take Prue, Richard makes a pit stop at a big tree. It was silent for a few second but suddenly a gigantic golden eagle (Aquila Chrysaetos) appeared from the tree. Richard gave the bird his mail and told the bird about Prue being an outsider, when they finished they began to drive again. They then came in to the town where the Governor -Regents office was, in the town there were small black, red and brown houses made of bricks or attached to trees. Richard soon drops Prue off at the Governor- Regents office, when she got Prue was told that she would only be able to see him in 10 to 15 business days. Prue would not stand for she ran right into his office and told him what had happen in 10 seconds flat. When she finally took the time to breath and look at the Governor-Regent she didn’t see what all the hullabaloo was about, he was just a sweaty, pale old man with a moustache. I understand what Prue was thinking, when things are built up so much you expect something extravagant but when you actually see it you’re let down. This happened to me when I watched Bridget Jones's Baby, my mom and I were told it was so good but I didn’t like it all that much. Back to the story, when the Governor-Regent finished interpreting all that Prue had said, he said nothing, but the expression on his face turned from blank to anxious in a matter of seconds.

6 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-09-30 08:13:25)

After Prue and the Governor-Regents meeting Prue was sent to stay in the North Tower which was connected to a mansion and was also just down the street from the office building. When Prue entered her room she was excited to see how fancy the inside of it was with its design filled bedding, the bathroom tiles, and a giant window with an amazing view of the town. When Prue entered her room and was pointing out the amazing features it reminds of every time I go into a hotel room, trying to find/look at all the different things in the room. The next morning Prue up to find a large great horned owl, flying passed her window with an entourage of other types of birds. Prue watched the birds enter the mansion accompanied by the Governor-Regent.  Hours had passed since the owl first arrived but Prue had not seen any of the birds but right as Prue was coming out of the washroom she saw a note was left on her bed and the great horned owl was flying away. Prue read the note which said “Dear Miss Mckeel, It is of vital importance that I meet with you tonight. Please come my room at the White Stone House, 86 Rue Thurmond. Make certain that no one follows you. You may be in great danger. Yours, truly Owl Rex.”

7 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-09-30 08:15:18)

In that same chapter Curtis, and the Dowager Governess traveled by horse to a clearing in the forest, where they met up with the coyote soldiers. When they got off the horse the Dowager Governess pointed out little moving shapes that were very close to a giant gully, she said they were bandits, who were controlling that area of land that she wanted. The bandits shouted across the vast area of land saying “We will never surrender to you Alexandra,” which Curtis had just learned was the Dowager Governess’s real name. She then replied with “Charge!” The battle between Coyotes and bandits had begun, but Curtis did not want to be part of it so he hid in a tree nearby to watch.  When I read that Curtis went into a tree to hide it reminded me of the time when, as a family we played hide and seek in the dark, outside. I was it and I found my dad hiding high up in a tree, it was really fun.

8 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-09-30 08:17:39)

As Prue reread the note again, and again she still couldn’t believe it. Was she really in danger? Would she be in more danger if she left? After pondering on the subject for a hour or so she decided to take the risk, and go to white stone house on 86 Rue Thurmond. Two hours later Prue snuck out of her room and traveled through the wide hallways. As Prue approached the front room she was spotted by a maid, Penny, who she had talked to the day before. Penny came over to Prue and asked what she was doing down there, so Prue told her about the note and her trying to sneak out. Penny told Prue that the front entrance is heavily guarded at night and she would be caught if she went out so Penny showed Prue the secret underground passages that would take her to 86 Rue Thurmond. The passageway had a foul smell and was very damp inside. When Prue finally reached the spot to go up she pushed the heavy metal door up, and the fresh air above can rushing past her face. She crawled out of the passageway and became aware of her surroundings, she was in a clearing and someone she could hear was coming up behind her. This ending to the chapter was very suspenseful which I enjoyed a lot. I’m thinking some of the people from the mansion noticed she was gone and are looking everywhere for her.

While hiding in the tree and watching the war below Curtis sees the coyote soldier who lights the cannons, get shot in the neck with the lit match in hand. The match falls to the ground and starts a little fire on the trunk of the tree Curtis was hiding in. Without thought Curtis jumped down from the tree picked up the match, and put the fire out. The match was still lit and the coyotes looked to be losing the war so Curtis ran to the cannon that was left loaded and lit that sucker up! Curtis was forced to the ground with a bang, as the cannon fired. When Curtis finally got up he realized that there were no more bandits running toward them, the ones who had survived the cannon were retreating. Curtis won the battle for the coyotes! When the coyotes and Curtis got back to headquarters they celebrated with blackberry wine. The Dowager Governess thanked Curtis for his actions and she invited Curtis to become her partner to in taking over Wildwood. I hope Curtis denies her invitation because I have a gut feeling that she is bad news, and shouldn’t be trusted.

Footsteps from behind came closer to Prue at a rapid pace, Prue quickly turned around to see a badger pulling a bright yellow rickshaw. As the badger approached he asked Prue if she needed a ride anywhere, Prue told the badger she had no money to pay him for the ride. The badger told Prue she didn’t need to pay him, so Prue hopped in and rode all the way to the white stone house. Walking inside the house Prue saw an enormous painting of a blue jay wearing a corduroy suit with bifocals on, which sat above a fireplace with two big cozy chairs in front. From behind one of the chairs Owl Rex appeared with a dismal expression on his face. Prue sat down in the other chair as Owl Rex began to speak. The big cozy chairs reminded me of numerous disney movies where the villain turns around in one of those chairs.

As Curtis’s night went on he grew tired of telling his tale on the battlefield, so went outside to take a breather. No sooner had he went outside he heard a strange noise; Curtis blindly began following the noise. As he trailed after the noise Curtis noticed a trail of large black feathers. The feathers lead up to a strange black bassinet with a baby in it. Curtis ran over to the bassinet shouting “Mac, Mac is it really you!” After the little celebration with Mac Curtis realized how serious this situation had become, Alexandra knew where Mac was this entire time. A few seconds passed and Alexandra walked in, “I didn’t want to show you this now,” said Alexandra in nervous tone. Curtis asked what she wanted with the baby and why she didn’t tell him, Alexandra told him she needed a second born child for a ritual of the ivy. She further explained that the ivy will feed off the babies flesh and grow so powerful that it will rise up and destroy all of Wildwood making her queen. When I read this I’m sure my eyes widened so much because I was absolutely astonished at what I had just read. I realized this book isn’t real but I’m afraid for Mac.

12 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-09-27 09:38:09)

Prue payed close attention to the words Owl Rex was saying in hopes to find something good out of the situation, she never did find anything. Owl Rex told Prue that the only place she could get help is in North Wildwood where the mistics live, he also told Prue about the Dowager Governess before she was exiled from Wildwood. He said when the Dowager Governess ruled with her husband everything was great, they even had a son that everyone adored. Everything was good, until, one afternoon the Dowager Governess’s son was bucked off his horse where he hit his head, the boy died 3 hours later. The Dowager Governess didn’t want to give the news to the public, so she lied and said he was on a holiday for a few weeks. The boys father died a few days after because of a broken heart so the Dowager Governess was left all alone. She secretly began meeting with people who were known to dabble in the dark arts. After month passed The Dowager Governess had created a magical item to bring her son back to life. When her son came back to life and didn’t remember the accident, he just went on with his daily routine. One day word in the castle slipped out that the boy wasn’t entirely real, when the boy heard this he confronted his mother, she told him the truth and a hour later he commited suicide. The Dowager Governess was then exiled for the use of black magic. This chapter confused me because I’m not sure how they are going to relate Prue’s situation to the Dowager Governess but I’m excited to find out.

Still dumb founded at what had just been told to him Curtis held the baby even tighter. Alexandra asked Curtis again to join her in conquering Wildwood, but when Curtis replied with a no she ripped the baby from his hands and yelled “Guards seize him!” The drunken coyotes ran in as quick as they could but became confused as to why they were to arrest Curtis, Alexandra then shouted that Curtis was a turn coat and he shall die in what the coyotes call the “cages.” The cages were giant bird cages made of ivy suspended 2000ft in the air and the only things below the cages were sharps rocks and bones. Curtis had to climb a large ladder to reach his cage, as he was climbing he noticed in the cages surrounding his were bandits that were captured after the fight. I’m not sure how Curtis is going to get out of  there, I hope he isn’t in there for long.

14 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-09-27 09:34:45)

Almost immediately after Owl Rex finished the story there was an knocking at the door and a voice that shouted “We are here for Prue,let us in!” Owl Rex told Prue to hide in a hamper with old newspapers in it. Prue hopped in, and hoped they wouldn’t find her. The door was kicked open by officers with the word SWORD written on them, they turn to Owl Rex and yelled “Give her up, we know she's here.” Owl Rex calmly replied “She left a few minutes ago, I’m not sure where she is now.” They didn’t believe him and arrested Owl Rex for harboring a fugitive. After they took Owl Rex away they did a whole sweep of the house, and came close to finding Prue, but they were in a such a hurry they didn’t do a very good job looking. When I read about the SWORD officers being in a hurry and not looking carefully, it reminded me of me because when I feel really rushed I find it hard to focus and usually end up not seeing what I’m looking for, but when I calm down I can usually find the item.

The cage Curtis was put in was damp and dirty and he couldn’t find a way to get comfortable because in the back of his head was someone whispering “You’re gonna die here,” again and again. The cage rocked back and forth never stopping and the bandits above him began trying to spit on him. Curtis still couldn’t believe all that Alexandra was going to do, and he helped her gain more power by helping her to defeat the bandits. Hours had passed and it was silent among the cages until one bandit with a beautiful voice began to sing. The song was about a silly man who wasn’t good at anything, when he finished the cages erupted with laughter and it lasted for minutes. When the cages were silent it reminded me of every car ride I’ve ever taken, where there’s that awkwardness when it is silent, that can’t end until someone has an idea about what to talk about.

Once Prue for sure knew the SWORD officers were gone she swiftly hopped out of the hamper. She silently looked out the window watching the SWORD officers scrambling about looking for she when suddenly she saw one of the officers raise his gun to an innocent bird and fire at him. The bird was dead instantly, Prue was horrified at the sight, the officers began capturing all the birds that they could see for no good reason. After witnessing such cruelty Prue noticed something wiggling underneath one of the chairs, it was Enver, Owl Rex’s assistant. Enver and Prue both consoled each other because they thought it was their fault Owl Rex was taken. After they calmed down they began bouncing ideas on how to escape the house without being detected. Their plan was to carefully walk to the post office late at night and find Richard, the mailman, Richard would then agree to snuggle Prue and Enver into the Avian Principality (bid kingdom) because the SWORD officers are out of their jurisdiction so they can’t take them. Prue and Enver’s plan is very smart because they will cross the border without being noticed at all but the only thing I’m worried about is what if Richard doesn’t want to be part of their plan.

17 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-09-28 09:22:01)

As the laughter died down one of the bandits, Angus asked Curtis to sing a song from the outside. The only song Curtis could somewhat remember was called “Mustang Sally.” Curtis began singing the song, messing up on the occasional words, the bandits loved it they laughed, and even argued what the song was about, Curtis then felt accepted by the bandits after the song. Time flew by in the cages and before they knew it, it was supper time. They had gruel which was made of squirrel brains, pigeon’s feet, skunk tendons, and all served up with a broth of spoiled milk. Curtis took one gulp of the sludge and almost puked the bandits laughed and told him to get used to it. Curtis set the bowl down on the other side of the cage as so not to look at it, after a minute or so a rat climber into Curtis’s cage. The rat’s name was, Septimus, he asked if he could eat the gruel and Curtis replied with, “Yes, please.” I’m thinking Septimus is going to help Curtis and the bandits escape the cages since he can get in and out of them. I related to Curtis when he didn’t remember all the words to Mustang Sally, which is me for about 90% of all songs.

18 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-09-28 09:21:03)

Arriving at the post office Enver and Prue “normally” knocked on the door so not to make people suspicious. When Richard answer the door Prue almost jumped for joy because before they had left she wasn’t sure if Richard had left before they were able to get to him. Richard graciously let Prue and Enver in, he saw fear in Prue’s face and asked what was the matter. Prue told him about how Owl Rex was taken, the murder of the innocent bird, and about how the SWORD officers were looking for her. Richard didn’t say anything for minutes because he was having trouble comprehending the situation Prue was in. While Richard was still quiet Prue told him about her plan, Richard thought about it for a few moments but quickly agreed to be part of the plan. The next morning Prue was packed into a big box and set carefully in the back of the mail van. They got pretty far until they came to a jerking stop, an officer wanted to inspect the packages. Prue held her breath as the officer stepped onto the van, the officer kicked Prue’s box while asking what was in it. Richard was so nervous he told the officer drying machine lint and ladies under garments! The officer didn’t ask any further questions. They were again on their way to the Avian Principality and got there in a few hours. Prue thanked Richard for the ride, and Evner lead Prue into the Avian forest. Like Richard I also get nervous, I practice saying things but when it comes time to say them I'm so nervous I forget what to say.

"Don't lose hope, as long as the Bandit King is out there he is gonna come for us,” spoke Cormac, who Curtis would call the, bandit leader, in the cages. In response the bandits quietly cheered in celebration since they were told by the guard if he heard them one more time they would not eat the next day. The during the night Curtis woke up because of and noise and when he opened his eyes in the dim light he could see Septimus chewing the cable that connects the cage to the roof of the cavern. Realizing what was going to happen to him, Curtis confronted Septimus, the rat simply replied that it felt good on his teeth to chew the cable. Curtis told Septimus to scram since part of the his cable had been chewed almost off.  I dislike it very much when your having a good sleep and all of a sudden you wake up because you heard a tiny noise, but in Curtis’s case it was good that he woke up. If he hadn’t he and his cage would have collided with dozens of sharp rocks and bones.

As Prue entered the forest she could hear the faint sound of beating wings. Evner and Prue walked further until a giant golden eagle landed in front of them. Evner had contacted him while Prue was in the mail van, the eagle asked to hop on his back so he could fly her to the Mystics. His feathers were very soft, so soft while they were flying Prue never lifted her head. Since Prue didn’t lift her head she missed a coyote soldier fire his weapon at the giant eagle and hit him in the neck. The eagle and Prue began to fall faster, and faster to the ground below, they hit the ground with a terrifying band causing Prue to become unconscious. When Prue woke up she was in a tiny cabin with a red bearded man, the man told her his was the Bandit King, and that she wasn’t greatly injured but the eagle she was flying with did not survive his injuries. A bandit burst through the door yelling, “The coyotes are approaching the perimeter.”  With a second to lose the bandit king  grabbed Prue and threw her on a horse, while they were riding the Bandit King said he needed to use Prue as bate and lead the coyotes away from bandit headquarters. While crossing a bridge Prue and the Bandit King came to a complete stop when they saw a tall woman with red hair standing at the end of the bridge, Prue knew exactly who it was, the Dowager Governess. Coyotes began surrounding the 2 areas of the bridge. Without a weapon the King was no match for the Governess and was taken away to the cages. Prue was called to sit on the horse with the Dowager Governess. This chapter was really good, but it was sad when the giant eagle died.

Curtis stared at the wall of the cavern for what seemed like forever until a guard walked in with a red bearded man in handcuffs. All the cages with bandits in them erupted when they saw him, it was the bandit king Curtis realized when he heard all the screams. The band it king climbed into his cage without a word. The bandits feeling defeated by the Dowager Governess sat silently too. Septimus quietly crawled into Curtis's cage and whispered, "Curtis your friend Prue is here, and is talking to the Dowager, she is going to leave Wildwood and go home, since the Dowager said she would bring the baby to her if she found it." Curtis yelled at the top of his lungs "Prue she is lying to you she knows where Mac is," over and over again. Soon all the men in the cages started yell until all the guards began shoot their rifles at them, to dodge the bullets the men began running from side to side in their cages. Septimus still in Curtis's cage decided he needed to go and tell Prue what was going on so he slipped out of the cage and disappeared. The Dowager Governess walked in and called everything to a halt and confirmed that Prue was leaving and that they had all lost this battle miserably. Finally speaking the Bandit King pleaded for her not to sacrifice the baby, but said nothing and decided to take the Bandit King from his cage and torture him talk about where the rest of his people were. This chapter was good but I hated it, everything I wanted to happen didn’t and now I’m not so sure it they are going to be able to save Mac.

22 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-10-07 14:03:45)

Prue could not help but smile as she began walking through the trees back to her home. She came upon the bridge where Curtis and her almost got ran over by a train and her crippled bike still laid by the tracks. Prue couldn’t imagine the joy on her parents would have when the see her, but her parents would be crushed when they see Mac hasn’t come back. Reaching her doorstep Prue could see the figures of her parents sitting on the couch, looking as if they were without emotions. Prue knocked on the door and she could hear her parents run to the door. They ripped the door open and hugged Prue so tightly she was in pain.When they noticed Mac wasn’t with Prue their faces dropped and a few tears ran down their faces. Prue told her parents all that had happened to her in the last few days and they weren’t shocked, they just looked at each other like they already knew that this was going to happen. Later that night Prue’s dad told her about how they couldn’t have children naturally they had to use magic to have her. He said that they met a woman who could help them get a child, all they needed to do was ring a bell three times, on a bridge that appeared after they threw stones in a fountain. When they did this and rang the bell the Dowager Governess appeared and touched Prue’s mother’s stomach. The Governess then spoke and said, “If you are to have another child it belongs to me.” Prue’s parents agreed and nine months later they had Prue and eleven years later they had Mac. Prue’s dad showed Prue the stones he had throw into the fountain, they felt as smooth as silk. Prue was distraught at what her dad had just told, but she got up from the table and said in a passionate tone, “I’m going to save Mac.” I can’t believe what Prue’s parents did, but if I was them at the time and really wanted children I probably would have went along with the deal too, so I’m not going to judge them too harshly.

Curtis had lost all hope just sitting in the cages and Septimus hadn’t come back for quite some time now. While being served their sludge supper Curtis saw a reflecting material that was being chewed on by none other than Septimus. Septimus came closer and Curtis saw that the reflecting material were the guards spare keys! Curtis began immediately figuring out a plan to unlock all the cages and reach the ladder that was on the other side of the room so they could escape. While the guards were outside of the cavern the men put the plan in action. Curtis unlocked his cage door and swung his cage as best he could, when the vine snapped one of the the cage members, Seamus, caught the little bit of rope that was still on the cage.He then swung Curtis to the ladder that was leaning against the wall. Finally they were able to escape, I knew Septimus would somehow be related to their escape! Even though Curtis escaped I don’t know how they are going to save Mac.

It was still dark out in St. Johns and no one was awake, even though Prue knew this, but she still crept through the town to the fountain where she would throw the stones. When she reached the area her dad had described she hurled the rocks as hard as she could into the fountain. An enormous cloud of fog surrounded the fountain, as it separated a bridge appeared just as her dad had said. Prue grabbed the rocks from the pond just to make sure she had them if she needed them again. The bridge felt firm under Prue’s feet, in the middle of the bridge there was the bell, Prue rung the bell 3 times just as her father had said, and then ran to the other side of the bridge so the Governess would not see her. Not once did Prue look back to see if the Governess had arrived she just ran straight into the woods so she could disappear. As Prue began to become more comfortable she slowed down, walking now, Prue came upon many so houses. Curious at who leaved in them Prue walked closer to one of the house until she heard a voice and stopped dead in her tracks. I hope that the voice Prue heard wasn’t the Governess because I have feeling she won’t be so kind this time around.

Curtis almost forgot how comfortable the ground felt, and how it didn’t sway with any movement, unlike his cage, which now was completely smashed on the cavern floor. The guards hadn’t come back for quite some time now, so the men knew they had to find the king fast and get out.  The hallways of the underground fortress were completely barren, it looked like all the soldiers and the Governess had packed up and left, or was that what they wanted Curtis and the men to think? The men came upon a room which had a noise coming from it, when they went inside they found the king hanging from his feet, with blood spilling from his mouth, and broses all over his face and arms. Seamus quickly untied the king and got him on his feet. Curtis felt a little more comfort now that they had the king with them, but there was still a little voice in his head telling him, “You’re not out yet!” Reaching the exit, all the men took in as much fresh air as their lungs could take. Feeling the sun beat down on their faces gave them all hope that they could beat the Governess and her army. When the men walked through the barren hallways it reminded me of every time when I am at the school super early for a sports tournament and how the hallways look.