26 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-10-15 13:36:02)

Re: Wildwood by:Colin Meloy

Slowly turning around Prue saw that the voice had came from a human size rabbit who was pointing a rake at her. The rabbit lowered his weapon and realizing it was a harmless little girl introduced himself as, Samuel. Samuel agreed to take Prue to the mystics after Prue had asked. Arriving at the mystics home Prue saw an enormous tree put smack in the center of everything. A lady came walking toward Prue and introduced herself as the elder mystic Iphigenia. Iphigenia walked with Prue around the tree explaining to her what the mystics do, she explained that they can talk to the plants, and hear their every word. She further explained that they could do this through meditation, yoga, and silence. After talking Iphigenia invited Prue to a meditation they were going to have around the tree in the next few minutes, Prue declined and asked, “Can you ask the tree if it has seen my brother?”  The elder smiled and sat down in the circle. If I was Prue I would have declined too, I do not like yoga, its silent and the poses have weird names like downward dog, what does that even mean?

As they made there way back to bandit headquarters Brendan saw how many of his had been killed and injured after he was taken, even though he was discouraged at the site he put on a brave face for his people. All the bandits agreed to fight against the governess, for the battle Curtis was told to sharpen all the knives for the fight. While sharpening the knives with Septimus, Curtis was called upon by the king. The king asked Curtis if he would take the oath to become a real bandit, was honored. For the oath you have to cut your hand and let three drops of blood land one the stump of what used to be a magnificent tree. After completing the oath Curtis went on with his job as if nothing had happened. When he finished he got in line to receive his weapons and ammunition. He got a pistol and a cutlass, a girl named Aisling was quite upset when seeing Curtis with a pistil since anyone under 16 were not allowed one and she was the same age as Curtis, 14.Curtis wasn’t sure how to load or fire a pistol so he ended up giving the pistol to Aisling. I agree with  Aisling on why should a boy the same age as her should get a pistol and she not even though she is more qualified to have one.

Prue had fallen asleep by a tree while watching the meditation and yoga done by the mystics. Prue woke up the next day and Iphigenia wearing a very serious face was already approaching her. Iphigenia told Prue, who was now on her feet that the Governess was going to sacrifice brother that afternoon since it was the fall equinox. Prue almost collapsed to the ground after she heard the news, she couldn’t believe it.  Trying to calm herself down Prue tried to catch up to Iphigenia who had kept walking after telling Prue the news. As Prue caught up with her she began to speak again saying that the tree wanted them to raise an army an try to defeat the Governess. Prue and Iphigenia had came to a large tower with a large bell at the top, they rang the bell three times and swarms of commoners came flooding around the tower. They were told what they all were going to fight for and to find anything that could be used as weapon, such as kitchen utensils. This chapter was bittersweet, Prue and Curtis are both going to fight the Governess and finally meet up again, but there is only a few hours until the Governess sacrifices Mac.

The next morning Curtis was not eager to wake up because he thought he was most likely going to die that very day, when they battled the Governess. They began their march on the Long Road, which Curtis had realized was the road he and Prue entered on. As Curtis marched with the other bandits he notice something shiny laying on the ground, when he picked the object up he noticed they were his house keys, which he had lost after his capture, rubbing the keys in his hand he began to wish he was at home in his comfortable bed, with his sisters bugging him. For all he knew, Prue was at home catching upon homework and her life had gone back to normal. While Curtis thought about this he hadn’t realized that he was just standing still in the middle of the road. All of a sudden Curtis could hear the sound of a bike which was peddling his direction.

Prue was sent on her bike by the elder mystic to look for the bandits, in hope they would join them in battle. Prue’s heart was beating out of her chest because she was pedalling so hard, she knew they were short on time so she had to go quick. In the distance Prue noticed a familiar face standing in the middle of the road, it had glasses and curly brown hair, “Curtis, Curtis,” Prue yelled at the top of her lungs. Prue was going so fast she couldn’t stop and she sent Curtis diving into the trees. They both quickly recovered and hugged each other, but soon got straight to the matter at hand. The bandits agreed to become allies with the North, Their army was complete now all they had to do was go into battle. Finally, Prue and Curtis met up, I’ve been waiting for this to happen since they were split up. I have also been in scenarios where I could not stop my bike and let’s just say I usually end up in the ditch with a lot of bruises.

As both armies marched on the long road Prue explained to Curtis what had happened to her the last few days and Curtis did the same. Curtis understood almost everything except the part about how Prue is a half breed, meaning she has some of the woods magic in her. As they talked some more there was a "shhhhhhh," that went through the soldiers, It indicated that they needed to lay on the ground because there was a coyote sighting. Even though they had laid down they were spotted by the coyotes, Brendan told the archers to fire a will, one by one almost all the coyotes that were there went down. The North Wooders and the bandits rejoiced at their first victory, hoping they would keep their streak going. Brendan called upon Curtis and Prue so they could march up at the front so they could transport any news to the back end of the traveling army.

The army stopped by the bank of river to satisfy their thirst for a while, as they continued on their path to the Ancient Grove ( the place where the Governess is going to sacrifice Mac). The path they followed lead the army into a clearing surrounded by thick black berry bushes, Brendan and his men tried to cut their way through the brush, but it was to thick, the only thing they were gaining were the scratches left from the bush.  Iphigenia came to the front of the bunched up people who were trying to slash her way through the bush, and offered her assistance. Brendan accepted and let Iphigenia work her magic. She sat on the ground and meditated, controlling each breath, many of  the soldiers began shooting confused looks to one another, including Curtis. Slowly the bush began to separate forming a path. I've shot a few confused looks to my friends in my life, but it was only when someone was doing something really weird, or something funny.

33 (edited by gracie.sweeney Yesterday 13:38:30)

The Irregulars, which was the name given to the army of bandits and North Wooders, stormed through the ivy path as quick as possible. Brendan divided the Irregulars into three units, the Sterling unit, lead by Sterling the fox, the King unit which was lead by Brendan, and the Reinforcements, who were lead by the bandit Cormac. The King unit was the first to begin battle, they performed a sneak attack on the coyotes which gave them a good advantage in the beginning since the coyotes had not be able to load their weapons. Brendan saw that the King unit was losing ground so he sent Prue to signal the Sterling unit so they could move in. As Prue ran to the Sterling unit she noticed Curtis was in that unit, she almost broke down in tears since this wasn’t his battle to fight, he could be at home right now living his live, but instead is fighting for her baby brother. After the Sterling unit had leapt into the action Prue heard the Governess shout, “Coyotes, attack!” I feel that the Irregulars chose a great name for themselves, because they are the underdogs in this battle, most of the time these people were enemies but now they are fighting alongside one another. Also many of these people and animals have never fought or trained for fighting an day in their lives, unlike the coyotes.

The Irregulars were quickly losing ground to the coyotes even with all their units in battle. Prue watched in horror all death which was occuring she couldn’t help them she could only watch. In the center of the chaos there was the Governess riding on a beautiful horse slashing very farmer and bandit in sight. In her horse’s saddle bag Prue could see her baby brother crying, Prue screamed Mac’s named but no one could hear over the battle. Looking to her right, Prue could see Curtis standing with a different unit, the Reinforcements along side Cormac, just behind Curtis Prue could saw coyotes pull 10 or more cannons up the hill. So overwhelmed Prue looked for Brendan amidst all the fighting, she shouted his name and when she had finally gotten his attention it was to late the cannons had already fired. Prue collapsed to the ground because she knew Curtis would have been in the cannons line of fire. If I was Prue I would join in the battle, I would rather fight than watch thousands of deaths happen before my eyes.