Topic: If I Stay by:Gayle Forman

In the beginning of the book "If I Stay" a teenage girl who plays the cello in hopes of getting into Juilliard and her little brother, Teddy, and her parents were driving down a snowy road headed to her grandparents when they were in a car accident. After the accident happened Mia got up and went looking around to find her family. As she was doing so she found her own body lying on the side of the road while a rescue team came and took her into the ambulance. She didn't find any of her family while she was looking around but she decided to go in the ambulance and see what happened to her. When she arrived there she found out that she was in a coma and that both her mom and dad had died. She still does not know what happened to her brother, Teddy, or if he is still alive. At the hospital with her is her grandparents who are very worried about her, and her boyfriend, Adam. Adam plays in a rock band called "Bikini" and that is how Mia met him. Currently in the book the Mia is still in a coma and has been in the E.R for many months. Adams band had been on tour so he has not been able to see her in a long time. When he gets back he hopes to go see her  but the nurses in the E.R will only let family in to see her. He gets very emotional about this situation so he decides to go to more extreme measures and brings in a singer to sing in the hallways to try to distract the nurses. It worked for a while but as soon as he got into the E.R and saw Mia on the other side of the room security guards came and got him before he could see her.

Re: If I Stay by:Gayle Forman

In the part of the book I am currently reading, Mia has to make the decision if she is going to go back to her life without her parents and brother, or if she is going to stay in a coma and eventually die. This topic got me thinking, what would I do if I knew my parents and brother both died in the car accident? Going back to life having no family and no where to go is something most people have probably never even thought about. Personally I would not want to go back to the real world without my family. But on the other hand your family would want you to continue your life and pursue your dreams and go back to your normal life. This would be a decision I would never want to make because I hope this is never a situation I am in.

In the part of the book I just read, Mia is learning about why when her and her brother were born, her father quit the band he used to play in. Mia thinks his decision to quit was her fault and she feels horrible about it, but she was not the reason he quit. The reason he quit is because he simply did not enjoy it anymore and needed a lifestyle change. The guilt Mia is feeling is really affecting her decision to go back to her life or not because she feels as if she ruined her fathers life and doesn't deserve to go back to her life. This would definitely affect my decision to go back or not because it would be incredibly hard feeling like you don’t deserve to be there everyday because of something you did to someone who is not alive anymore. Feeling bad and guilty for something everyday would make your life miserable and probably not worth it.

Mia wants to leave and go to heaven with her parents and her brother, but so many people are coming and telling her they will do anything if she stays. She says that she thinks some of the nurses and visitors know that people have the decision to stay or leave, but I wonder if people really do have the choice. Personally I think that is kind of creepy and strange if you went to visit someone in the hospital and they were just watching you and you had no idea.

I just finished the book and it ended so suddenly. There was nothing really leading up to the ending and you wouldn’t have thought it was going to end so soon. In the end Mia can feel all the physical and emotional pain and before you know it she was awake. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to almost anyone. I liked how you were always wondering if in the end she was going to stay or leave. The only part of this book that wasn’t as strongly written as the rest is the ending. I think the author could have made some kind of bigger event leading up to her coming back to her life, but otherwise it was a great book.