Topic: Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Girl, Stolen is about a 16 year old girl named Cheyenne Wilder. Cheyenne is blind but a very smart and quick thinking girl. It was unfortunate for Cheyenne when a man named Griffin jumped into her stepmom's car not knowing that she was in the back seat. Although Griffin had the intention to only steal the car and knew that Cheyenne was blind, he still couldn't let Cheyenne go. Cheyenne made offers to him including her bank card, the car, and that she won't tell anyone about the incident. Griffin didn't want to end up in jail and so he didn't let Cheyenne go. Griffin brought Cheyenne back to his house where she was tied up and locked in his bedroom. Griffin's dad, Roy, gave the recommendation to keep her locked up until midnight and and drive her far away and leave her in the middle of nowhere. The next morning, Griffin and Roy was watching the news on TV and saw that Cheyenne was confirmed missing yesterday. "Please help find my daughter and bring her back home safe" said Cheyenne's father and that's when Griffin and Roy realized that he was the president of a powerful corporation named Nike. Now the plans had changed and they now have a reason to keep Cheyenne until their request of 5 million dollar in cash from Cheyenne's father was brought to them.

Re: Girl, Stolen by April Henry

As I continue to read on, I realized how much Cheyenne and I are alike. During this chapter, Griffin asked Cheyenne "what type of illness do you have or do you have any?" Cheyenne had to think fast for her respond. She then thought of " if I tell them i'm ill then they won't stay near me and I can easily think of a way out." Cheyenne then replied " yes i do, I have pneumonia and I really need to take my antibiotics." Griffin also asked " I heard that once your blind, your other senses become really good, is that true?" Cheyenne replied "no." If I were in Cheyenne's circumstances, I would have done the same thing she did which was not showing her strengths and using her weakness as an advantage. When Cheyenne was alone with Griffin in the room, she tried her best to make it seem like they were friends by talking about school, family members, and facts about Griffin. Once everyone was in bed, Cheyenne broke a glass cup so she can use a piece of the glass to cut her rope and escape. Cheyenne was half way through it and almost free when she heard the doorknob turning and Griffin walked in.

When Griffin walked into the room, Cheyenne was extremely quick and fast for and hid the piece of glass in her pocket and pretended like she was sound asleep. I'm really amazed of the way she acted because I feel that if most people were in her position, they would have freaked out and starting sweating a lot. The next morning, Cheyenne asked Griffin if he could take her to the bathroom while he stand and waits outside. During the meantime, Cheyenne found a window and she knew it was the perfect chance for her to escape. As she was climbing out the window, these thought ran through her head, what if I get caught and if i get caught, they might keep me longer. After those thoughts she didn't attempt to escape. During this chapter, I realized that Cheyenne isn't a big risk taker and that she holds back a lot. I can relate to her because were both scare of the outcomes of taking a risk. In a way, I would have acted differently than her and just take the risk because sometimes when you miss a chance, that can cause you a lot. Griffin open the door to see the window open and Cheyenne laying in the tub crying. Griffin knew that Cheyenne was attempting to escape. "Do not tell my father about that you attempted to escape okay?" said Griffin.

During this chapter, I felt a connection during a part in the book. It was when Cheyenne heard her fathers voice on TV and started getting very emotional. I felt a connection because sometimes when i'm away from my family, just hearing their voices makes me feel more at ease and happier. A relatable moment that I had when reading this chapter was when Cheyenne had this thought " if only I brought Phantom ( her dog ) with me on the day Griffin stole the car, this would have never happened because then he could of start barking at Griffin." I think this is relatable to all because we all have moments where we make a decision and just regret it afterwards. Something that really enjoy about this book so far is that it keeps revealing new facts about character and it's always so unexpected to me. When Griffin was asked by Cheyenne "why do you steal so many cars?" Griffin replied,"with all the old cars I have stolen, i take them apart and just sell car pieces to people for a good price." This got me to thinking, that's kind of strange because when someone steals a car, the main reason you could think of is that they steal a car for themselves. In this circumstance, its the other way around in Girl Stolen. Griffin steals car not for himself to keep, but instead to sell parts of it to someone else.

Before reading this chapter of the book, I've always seen Griffin( the man who kidnapped Cheyenne) as a bad person. The reason why is because he accidentally kidnapped Cheyenne and knowing that she is sick and blind, he still wouldn't let her go. During this chapter, Griffin told his father to let Cheyenne go and forget about the 5 million dollars. Griffin actually felt bad for keeping Cheyenne and that made me change my point of view of him. He also tried to talk nicer about Cheyenne in front of his father so his father will go less harsh on Cheyenne. Griffin's father( Roy ) asked Cheyenne for the phone number of her dad so he can call him for the 5 million dollar. Roy talked on the phone with him and then allowed Cheyenne to. Cheyenne said, "dad, dad it’s really you!'' If i were in her situation, I would of screamed and told him to call for help and call 911 instead. Afterwards, Roy hung up the phone and Griffin saw that Cheyenne looked like she had a fever and so he brought her back to the room. Griffin looked in the cabinets to find any type of antibiotics for Cheyenne. He didn’t find any except a jar of antibiotic but it’s prescribed to his deceased mother. It made him tear up and started thinking about his mother. He thought that the antibiotic seems fine and he gave it to Cheyenne to help with her fever. Cheyenne was shook that he brought medicine for her fever and it was very unexpected to her.  Anyhow, in this chapter, I saw a whole new Griffin.

The next morning when Cheyenne woked up, she was feeling a lot better. Griffin walk into the room to check up on her. Griffin spent a long time looking through drawers and cabinets just to find a thermometer. That made me realized much Griffin actually cared for Cheyenne. In the end, Griffin couldn’t find one but he made sure that Cheyenne took her medicine. Then Griffin offered Cheyenne if she wanted some pizza for breakfast. When eating breakfast Cheyenne started to get more comfortable with Griffin and not being afraid or nervous around him. They started to act like friends just talking about a day of being blind, favourite subjects in school, and how to overcome obstacles. Griffin was amazed of how much smarter Cheyenne was than he was. When Cheyenne felt a glass cup on the table, she remember the time she almost escaped and that it could be her secret weapon to escape again. Reading this part of the book made me think, will Cheyenne use the same method to escape or a more different and difficult method. That made me wonder, since Griffin isn’t a bad person, so why isn’t he letting Cheyenne go yet? What was he holding back? Cheyenne’s plan was to cut the rope around her ankle at night and escape. The thought of if she escaped tonight, who knows, she could be laying in fresh clean bedsheets in the morning. The thought just made her supper motivated to escape as soon as possible. It reminded me when I was little and sick but all I wanted was some fresh fruit. My mom told me no because it could make me even more sick. It then motivated me to get better as soon as possible just so I can have fresh sweet fruit. Overall this chapter got me to think and get really excited about what’s going to occur next.

During this chapter, Cheyenne was really focused on finding not just 1, but multiple ways to escape in cased if one of her plans backfired. The first plan was to either do whatever it took to escape even if it meant hurting Griffin. Cheyenne chatted with Griffin as much as possible to get the most information to planned the escape. Cheyenne wanted him to be comfortable around her so he will tell her all the secrets instead of hiding them. Cheyenne ask, " who would have been back there if I would of escape through the window?" "No one" Griffin replied. Later that night, Griffin talked with Roy what was the plan with Cheyenne. Roy plan to just take the 5 million money and leave Cheyenne in the middle of the stranded road and flee off. Griffin ask “ what if someone spots you?“  Roy replied, ‘’well... by the time someone might find her, I will be long gone and on vacation.” While Cheyenne was figuring out a plan to escape, so was Griffin. Griffin goal was to find a way for Cheyenne to escape safely without Roy finding out. I felt confused when reading this part because if Griffin is helping Cheyenne, why won't he tell her that instead of sneaking to help her. From my point of view, Cheyenne wouldn't figure out that Griffin will be helping her and Cheyenne may accidentally hurt him to escape.

During the afternoon when Griffin was cooking breakfast, his friend TJ walked into the room where Cheyenne was in at. Tj pinned Cheyenne's hand to the bed and  threatened to attack and harm Cheyenne if she moved. I don't know how Griffin knew this but he felt something wasn't right and so he stormed up into the room to check on Cheyenne. When griffin got up to the room, he saw what was going on and punched TJ to the ground. This part of the book made me go and say, "wow Griffin, you really would punch your best friend just to save Cheyenne." To me, I can see that Cheyenne is someone special to Griffin and not just a normal girl that he accidentally kidnapped. Griffin gave a big hug to Cheyenne to let her know that everything is alright and that there nothing to be afraid about. Cheyenne felt a section of his neck where it was really dry and a bit hard and rough. She asked Griffin " what happened to your neck?" Griffin was hesitant to say the truth and just said " my dad accidentally burned me when he was cooking." Griffin continued to tell the story. My mom was the one who rushed me to the hospital because my dad didn't care about what happened to me at all. She took care of me until I was better but now the scar that my dad left me, will forever stay. There isn't a day where it goes by without me thinking about it. Now shes dead and my dad still wouldn't care for me and i've been on my own for a while. At point I felt so bad for Griffin because it did seem like he had a rough past.

Later that night when everyone was sleeping, it was 2 in the morning. Cheyenne knew she must take this chance to make her big escape now matter what. She waited until Griffins breathing hit a rhythm and found a wrench on the floor. Cheyenne kept thinking to herself that she had to do it even if it meant hurting Griffin. She took that wrench and swung it at Griffin twice until she was sure that he was unconscious. Cheyenne felt the blood on Griffin's body and knew for sure that she had accidentally killed him. She had never felt so guilty before because she knew Griffin was the nicest out of all the people in the house. There was no turning back and so she quickly stepped out of the house and use a antenna as her cane. She knew she could find a long stick in the woods but also, along with that, she took Griffin's dog ( Duke ) to use as her guide through the forest. This part of the book got me so scared because I can just imagine how dark it was and Cheyenne was blind and anything could have happened to her. I was really amazed and shook of how brave she was to walk alone in the forest at 2 in the morning and it made my stomach sunk a little bit.

This chapter of the book, I felt the most intenseness. Cheyenne felt the time on her watch and it was just past 7 in the morning. She knew she must get moving quicker because Roy and some other people will be searching for her right now. Cheyenne felt a cold touch and realized that it was snowing. Later at around 7:20 am, she heard a noise in the bush and had thought of, was the snow really that deep to make footprints. I felt so nervous and scared for her and it's even worse for her because she is blind and can only heard what happens. Cheyenne knew this was it and at least she tried her best to escape. She started to scream "noooooooooo" Griffin replied "shhhhhh it's just me Griffin" Cheyenne was in disbelief and was like wow it's you Griffin! And your alive. I was really shocked when reading this part of the book because Cheyenne made it seem like she really killed Griffin. He said " I'm here to help you escape and we should hurry up before Roy and the others spot us. Griffin fell to the ground because he had broken his ankle while trying to find Cheyenne. Griffin told her that he can't go with her because he can't stand up let alone walk. "I will point you to the right direction and if you keep walking straight for a half hour, you will find help" said Griffin. Cheyenne walking and this made me really anxious on what will happen next. Will Cheyenne end up find help?

As the chaos continues, Cheyenne has been walking for about half an hour with no troubles but still didn't hear any car noises yet. Back with Griffin, TJ spotted him in the woods laying on the ground. Next to him was Cheyennes scarf that she had dropped before taking off on the road. TJ was confused but Griffin had to come up with a quick explanation in hopes to make it believable. The explanation did not make any senses to TJ and so he wen't and told Roy that Griffin had helped Cheyenne to escape. Roy took off looking for Griffin. When reading this part, I was praying in my head that he won't be able to find Cheyenne and go the opposite direction that Cheyenne went instead. Cheyenne took a break from walking and sat behind a tree until she heard " freeze right there, police!" Cheyenne was so happy and starting crying tears of joy because she knew this crisis will finally come to an end. She had explained everything to the police and ask for medical to help Griffin in the woods. The police reported the news to the station and said that Cheyenne's dad was at the police station waiting for her. Cheyenne insisted the police man to hand her the phone so she can talk to her dad. The police officer replied " no he is not at the station currently." This part made me had a freeze moment because I could remember him saying that her father was at the police station. After that part of the book, it made me very suspicious with the police officer.

The police officer brought Cheyenne into his car and told her that they are heading back to the police department. The moment she stepped into the car, everything was slightly off and she could recognized the familiar smell. It smelled of peppermint overlaying the earthy smell of tobacco. At this point, I knew that the "cop" was actually Roy! My heart sunk and I felt so bad for Cheyenne who was so close to freedom only to get caught again. Cheyenne had a oh no moment when she was trying to confirm if it was actually Roy or not and tried to figure a way out. She thought of maybe snatching the phone out of Roy's hand. After moving her hands around the backseat, Cheyenne had found a gun that wasn't too big and so she hid it in her sleeve. This may be the only way for Cheyenne to get out of the situation, shooting Roy. Cheyenne brought up the gun to Roy's face and a voice full of authority she said " You make a move and I'll shoot you!" At this part of the book, I was like "get em sister and show them who's boss now!" Roy's response was shocking to me. He started dying of laughter. He tried to wrestle the gun out of her hand when Cheyenne shot him. Cheyenne demanded that Roy got out of the car and threaten to shoot Roy again if he didn't. She locked up all the car doors trying to find the phone to call 911. Roy banged on the window constantly saying " open the door, I need to go to the hospital, I'm bleeding a lot and I might die. This part made me think of karma because he did so many awful things to Cheyenne. I felt a lot of drama and chaos when reading this chapter but glad that Cheyenne is closer to being home soon.

13 (edited by ziqiong.shen 2018-09-24 17:02:58)

Sadly, I'm on my last chapter of Girl Stolen and this book has been supper amazing. Cheyenne couldn't figure a way out of the situation and meanwhile, Roy was using a rock to try and break the window down. She had to think fast because at this moment, every second counted. She decided to jerk the car a little forward to buy some time until she finally found the phone. I felt so relieve for Cheyenne when reading this part. She tried her best to guess dialing 911 on the first try. It worked and a lady responded "911." Cheyenne felt thrilled and told the lady she needed help as soon as possible. After telling the dispatcher the situation, she told Cheyenne "you need to drive away.'' Cheyenne started the car and started driving blind. It really amazed me because she was driving blind but didn't crash the car at all. The dispatcher said there are several units out to find Cheyenne based on which cell phone tower is relaying the call. The dispatcher ask each police car to ring the siren to see which one Cheyenne could hear. When the police got there, they captured Roy and brought Cheyenne to reunite with her dad. I was overjoy for Cheyenne and glad that the solution, was a happy one. Two weeks later Griffin called to see how is Cheyenne is doing. They chatted and Griffin apologized for everything he has done to Cheyenne. Roy was charged with kidnapping, assault, and second degree murder. Griffin had agreed to cooperate with authorities and so he doesn't have any charges currently. Before Cheyenne could hang up the phone, Griffin asked " may I called you again?" Cheyenne had to thing about that answer. That was the end of Girl stolen and I liked how it ended like that because, It makes the reader wonder, what will happen next? Overall, Girl Stolen was a fantastic book to read.