Topic: Rebel Belle By:Rachel Hawkins

Harper Price who was supposedly the killer of Mr.DuPont the history teacher, and was given "super powers" had a life changing experience. On the night of the homecoming at Grove academy Harper went to the washroom to fix her make up and was interrupted by Mr.Hall the school janitor bursting into the ladies washroom. He was bleeding and had very little life left in him but before he shut is eyes to call it the end he used all his energy to kiss Harper as she hovered over him trying to stop the bleeding and save his life as he laid on the floor gasping for life.  Not long after Mr.DuPont the school history teacher entered the bathroom with a sword in his hand. Harper and Mr.DuPont fought for quit awhile until finally she grabbed her high heel shoe and stabbed it into the side of his neck which killed him. Later in the book Harper finally tells someone about what happened that night which takes some stress off her shoulders but she also doesn't know how she will be able to tell her boyfriend and best friend so she lies to them by saying nothing was wrong for a couple more days.

Re: Rebel Belle By:Rachel Hawkins

The person that Harper had told about what happened the night of the homecoming was David Stark. Every time that they met up had to be a secret because they had a rivalry that had lasted years and was still going on and if they were seen together people might get "ideas". Before Harper told David about the night of the homecoming she hit her boyfriend because he saw him fighting with Harper and Harper protected him but she got in trouble and also embarrassed so she left school for the day causing her to miss Cotillion practice. Harper felt bad for missing it because she had the main role so she made Saylor Stark who was in charge of Cotillion a hummingbird cake or a "sorry i messed up please forgive me cake" as her mom called it. When Harper went to deliver the cake to the Stark's house she got very nervous and when she saw David she shoved the cake at him and ran back to her car nearly face planting one her way. Then she heard the voice of Saylor Stark asking if she'd had dinner yet and Harper said no. As she went into the dining room and their supper was ready they said grace and David fell out of him chair and fell to the floor which was when Saylor Stark found out Harper was the Paladin.

Once Saylor Stark realized that Harper was the new Paladin she told David and Harper a unforgiving truth about how she wasn't Davids real aunt.  She told them the whole story, she was sent by the old oracle to the place where the new one would be born. She was sent their to receive the baby and kill it with Christopher which was the old paladin but they weren't able to do it. They asked Davids mother for the baby using one of Saylors spells and she gave it to them with a smile and when they were on their way back to the kingdom where the old oracle rested in peace they weren't able to do it so they stayed back and raised David. There where many people after that, that tried to kill David and killed his parents while looking for him.  Christopher was his protector and stopped all of the evil men that tried to kill him and now that Christopher was dead it was Harper's job to protect him. Saylor then explained her part in Davids life, she explained how she was the "Mage". The mage served as some kind of battery to the oracle so she was able to do some minor magic to undo things, which explained why the bathroom at the homecoming dance was so clean after two people had died in it. After a few more minutes of explaining Saylor said to Harper "Harper Jane Price are you ready to except your destiny?".

Harper was unhappy about what Saylor had asked her. She said "no, she had a great future ahead of her". She was planning on going to collage or university and she didn't want to have to follow David around for the rest of her life. Saylor told her that it wouldn't work with just the two of them so they needed three to be able to stop the bad men form getting to David. David even agreed with Harper he didn't want her to give up everything shes got up to, just to protect him and he wanted to actually have a girlfriend one day and having Harper always there would make that hard. Harper was finally leaving after a "educational" evening with the Stark's and she told Saylor that it was best if she was to drop out of the Cotillion because she didn't want to have to be there when the "night of the swans" happened which was when David would have to fight for his life. Harper had no idea how she would explain all of this to her parents and best friend Bee. For the next week her and David ignored each other and when they saw each other they did a quick little glance then walked away as fast as they could. When David was walking through the court yard at the school one day Harper saw him with his shoulders to his ears looking terrified.

5 (edited by mia.westergaard 2018-09-19 19:17:11)

Harper went to visit her aunts, they usually got together once a week and played cards. Harper went to visit them and was asking them questions about unusual things that have happened in the town and also stuff about Saylor Stark. She first talked with them about the Cotillion which was something they were disgusted by. They told Harper that the Cotillion used to be beautiful, it was in the springtime and it was called the "Chrysalis Ball" which was run by Cathy foster until suddenly she just gave that job to Saylor Stark. No one was expecting her to give it to Saylor because they all thought she was going to give it to her daughter. They also said that the same thing happened with the "Pine Grove Betterment Society" and they Suzanne Perry would run that thing until the end of her time. Harper asked if their had been anymore odd and unusual events take place in the town, her aunts exchanged looks and her aunt jewel said" that whole family is strange if you ask me, Saylor appearing in this town like she did, with a brand-new baby and buying the yellow hammer". Then her aunt May thought it was weird how she didn't have a husband and then she suggested the thought of the boy being her nephew. Her aunt may then told her a story about a man disappearing last year, the man had been renting a room at Janice Duff's boardinghouse and one night she heard a ruckus so she when to see if everything was okay and when she enters the room she says she saw him dead on his bed with a huge sword in him. She rushes to call 911 but by the time they get there everything is clean and in order and it had looked like no one had ever been there.

It was a usual Saturday afternoon for Bee and Harper they were at the mall like they were almost ever other Saturday but this time they were there for a special reason, to get there shoes for the Cotillion. They had been to 2 other stores and they were at the third one which meant Harper needed to tell Bee that she was no longer doing the Cotillion anymore. Bee had picked up a pair of flats with sparkles and said to Harper "these ones would look great with you dress", that's when Harper decided to tell Bee she grabbed the shoes putting them back on the shelf and said "they would look good but i'm not doing Cotillion anymore", Bee asked her why and she lied to her and said "because of Leigh-Anne, its to hard. Thinking about the year she did it". Bee didn't respond for quit a while and when she did being a good friend she said "then i wont either". It had always been there dream to do Cotillion together, Bee told Harper that they could do a anti-Cotillion Cotillion they would wear black dresses, watch bad movies and drink bad punch or that what the plan was until when they were going to eat they saw Mary-Beth smiling at Ryan and Ryan smiling back. Harper walked up putting her arm around his waist asking " are you following me?" his reply was "no i can to pick up my suit, look at me renting it 6 weeks early". After that conversation was done Harper said to Bee "shall we go back to that store and get those shoes after we eat?" Bee replied with a "Yes".

7 (edited by mia.westergaard 2018-09-20 20:35:42)

Harper entered the Magnolia House, when Saylor saw Harper all she could say was " Good afternoon Harper, I can trust that you'll be ready to preform the service prayer?" Harper replied with a "yes indeed" then the Cotillion practice begun. When they were practicing walking down the stair case, it was Harper's turn to walk down with David because Saylor brought him in to help the girls   practice and David said to Harper  " We need to talk" Harper saying with denials "no we don't", when they got to the bottom of the stair case Harper hurried to the little powder room off the main foyer. A couple minutes later David came to the doorway to the powder room, Harper sneaks passed and tries to go back to the stair case when David grabbed her arm so he could show her a letter he got saying he got chosen for a scholarship, the bad thing about that was that he didn't apply for the scholarship and he was pretty sure that he was being luired out of town to be murdered. Harper was kind enough to say okay and was going to go with him to the "interview", when they got to the campus all they saw were 3 long haired girls walking together, and no one else to be seen.

Davids interview was on the second floor of the library, when they got to the office they knocked on the door a women opened it asking them to come in and close the door behind them. The womens name was Blythe she walked over to her desk and searched for something then she held up a letter opener with a long blade and it appeared to be longer then usual, she planted one foot and went up and over the desk lunging at Harper. She saw a flash of red then the women rapped her foot around Harper's knocking her to the ground hitting her head on the base of a chair on the way down. She saw stars and then another flash of silver darting at her throat, and without thinking she grabbed the letter opener feeling it cutting through her skin then closing her palm around it gripping it tighter and tighter. Not long after Harper smacked her head and heard as she could to Blythe's nose, she heard the letter opener drop and then a big thunk and glass breaking which was Blythe falling the the floor. Harper had won the fight, but know that all of the adrenaline wasn't rushing through her body she could feel the pain of that cut and by just looking at it she new she would have to get stitches and she also had no idea how she was supposed to tell her parents about her injury.

Harper and David tied Blythe to the chair using the cord form the office lamp that she ripped out of the frame and was her interrogating her. During the interrogation Harper was asking question about the her and who sent her and why they wanted to kill Harper and not david. Blythe said that she was sent to kill harper to protect david and return him the the Ephors. She also told Harper and David all about a man named Alaric and how he was a the other male Oracle or was until he killed himself using a dangerous spell that was very powerful and only Mages could use. Then Saylor came up and she told them that Saylor had very limited powers and wasn’t very advanced with her spells compared to her. Harper asked how she was chosen to be a Mage and Blythe asked” do you know those tests that you do in high school that help you find what career you would do best in?” harper replied saying “I live to those tests”, Blythe added “ the Ephors add in certain questions that help them find people that would be good at being a Mage and once they find you they give you tests and tasks then send you on missions”. As Harper pulls the cardigan a little tighter around her hand Blythe says in a sad tone “I liked that cardigan” and with a fast sassy response harper says “ And I like my hand ”, continuing the interrogation David asks questions and is in amazement with the answers and by the end of the interrogation Blythe says “if we teamed up we would be unstoppable” Harper and David think and decide that there in!

10 (edited by mia.westergaard 2018-09-24 20:34:08)

As Harper and David get ready to leave the parking lot they put Blythe in the back of the car. David ass her if she is able to vanish out of a car since she can make herself invisible and with Harper saying don't give her any ideas David lets Blythe be and gets in the driver seat ready to go, since Harper has the big gash on her hand it would be hard for her to drive. They were bringing Blythe to Saylor because they thought that she might know what to do. As they got past the Pine Grove sign Harper looked back to say welcome to are town but found Blythe to be gone, David immediately pulled over and look back with amazement. David then asked Harper if she wants to go for a drive and with out even thinking Harper says "yes". David drives to the Pine Grove park and parked at the top of a small hill by a colourful playground with lots of kids playing on it, which reminded them of when they were little and used to play on that playground. David asked Harper if she remembered him telling her about the scary dreams that he had been having, Harper replied with a "ya, why?" and he said " because I had a dream, a dream about you" and Harper automatically thinking dirty she says "stop right there!" and being interrupted by David say " no not like that, i had a dream when I was six or seven about you killing me and neither one of us was angry we were more sad I even woke up crying and everything." Harper didn't know what to say so then David said another thing but this time it was about people wanting to kill Harper and saying that out loud made Harper automatically think about the hole her older sister Leigh-Anne left in the house when she died. Harper didn't want to make her parents suffer anymore so she decided she would stay alive no matter the cost.

David called Saylor and told her to meet them at the Miss. Annemarie's which was a cafe, he never told her why he just said be their in a couple of minutes. When Harper and David got to the cafe Saylor was there and they went to sit at the table with her and got ready to order food and something to drink. David tried to explain as quick as possible what had happened starting with “something happened today” and Saylor looking at Harper's hand said “I can see that”. When David started to talk about Blythe he said “ they don’t wanna kill me anymore on the night of Cotillion and they never were. They were going to put a spell on David that would either make him strong or make him go crazy. As David was about to say Alaric, Saylors hand started shaking a lot and she held up her hand to stop him from talking saying “ he went crazy killing hundreds of innocent people. David replied saying “Blythe said it was because he wasn’t a Mage”. Carrying on with the conversation they stopped talking with the noise of the door opening and the smell of rain coming in, Harper's eyes widened as she heard a familiar voice say " no soup is good enough to go out for on a day like this" says her aunt May and with her aunt Jewels saying "Its not even raining" with May replying "yet". Behind her three aunts that stood in the doorway was her mom, her mom was surprised when she saw Harper and walked up to her saying " I thought you were going out with Bee today",Harper said " plans changed, I was walking and ran into Miss. Saylor and David and Saylor asked me if I wanted to have lunch with them and i said yes". Her mother being sneaky added " and then weren't you going to get help from Ms. Franklin after lunch?", Harper saying yes quickly finished eating and got up and gave her aunts a hug and when she got to her mom she saw Harper's hurts hand.

12 (edited by mia.westergaard 2018-10-02 09:36:55)

Harper was going on a date night with Ryan, they were going to the movie theater. When Harper and Ryan were waiting to go into their movie they go in an argument about why that hadn't been seeing each other very often, Ryan even told Harper that it was like she was throwing a bone to him every once and in a while to keep him happy. When they were still having there disagreement Harper spotted Abigail, Amanda and Mary Beth and they walked over, Harper said to them “hey girls” and with Abi saying hi she also added “is everything okay?”. Ryan replied fast saying “It’s fine”, and then they said okay. Carrying on with the conversation they were talking about the movie they were going to see, Abi, Amanda, and Mary Beth were going to see a romance show, and Ryan and Harper were going to see the action show called the “Iron Fist”. Mary Beth saying that she wanted to see the iron because it looked good, made the other girls say “Why? Romance movies are much better”? Ryan was backing Mary Beth up by saying “ MB can watch what she wants and maybe she would rather watch the action show”. Harper froze as she watched Mary Beth's cheeks turn a tomato red thinking “why does he have a nickname for her, does he love her and not me, is he cheating on me?”. Then Abi said “it's hot in here, look at Mary Beth she's practically a tomato and we should also probably be going to are theater because the movie is about to start”. As they turned around Harper was positive that she saw Blythe, then she disappeared with Harper saying to Ryan “did you see a girl?” and Ryan said “I see many girls”, Harper then said I think I saw someone I know i’m going to go see then and talk to them, Ryan said “okay i’ll be in the theater don’t take to long”. Harper ran out the door going to the town square and grabbing wooden spike from the fence, Harper was looking in all directions and then decided to go Miss. Annemarie’s to see if Blythe was there. As she was running she ran into someone nearly stabbing them, then she realized that it was David and when she realized it and he asked what was wrong she burst into tears. Harper saying “ Ryan is at the theater probably with Mary Beth and he probably likes her more than me and…” carrying on David gave her a big hug and said “ I don't think that is what is going on and he doesn't love her, he will always love you”.

When it was the day before the cotillion harper went to Saylor Starks, and was studying a textbook when she saw a picture, saylor walk up and ran her finger over the page. The picture was of the side of a mountain with a symbol on the side, that symbol was the one for the ephors, on that mountain in the building above it was where they ruled from. The Ephors used to be elected by the greek people but then the Ephors passed their powers on the same way as the paladins through disgusting kissing. As Saylor and Harper kept looking at the picture with bright blue water and crushed rocks along the shore could make you tear up because that how beautiful it is, or at least that’s what Harper said. Saylor said “No not beautiful it’s awe-inspiring and terrifying and lovely to look at, but not beautiful”. Harper then asked Saylor if she missed it and Saylor replying “ It’s all i knew for a very long time and don’t get me wrong Pine Grove is beautiful but it’s not...”, not finishing her sentence she stopped and and started a new conversation with a new topic about cotillion and the disagreement Harper had with Mary Beth about Harper’s boyfriend (Ryan) and David, and about how it looked like her and David were dating since they had been around each other so much. All Harper had to say was that there was nothing going  on between her and David and there never will be because they are immortal enemies and will be for life. This chapter reminds me most of my life and looking at books with my family and experiencing the rage or people when they are being accused of cheating on a boyfriend or girlfriend!

Today was the day of Cotillion and all Harper could think of was the vision David had of her bleeding out on the floor. As it was time for her to get ready Harper heard a knock on her door and she turned to see her mom in a light pink dress looking amazing, and with her mom saying “oh Harper”, with Harper replying “do I look okay” her mother saying quickly you look more then okay, you look beautiful” as Harper began to tear up she turned around quickly to her mother giving her a hug. “I’m so proud of you”, Harper gave a watery giggle what for it’s not like i’m getting  married” “no i’m proud of the woman you’ve become, you are amazing”. As they heard a knock on her bedroom door, the released form the hug and looked at the entrance it was saylor she came and took out her container of mind control lip balm and did mind control on Harper's mom telling her to stay home because she wasn’t feeling good. The next thing they new Ryan was at the door waiting for Harper so they could go to The Cotillion. When they arrived at the mansion Ryan broke up with Harper because he knew something wasn’t right and thought her and David had a thing going on. Harper walked into the mansion sad, she ran into Saylor as she was entering and told her she needed and escort because her and Ryan had just broken up. Saylor was disappointed that it had happened at such an inconvenient time. As Bee and Brandon entered the room she heard Harper telling Saylor what had happened and was confused and questioning what had happened. With and unsure sound in Bee’s voice she said “you-you broke up with Ryan?” Harper respond softly with a sad tone “No actually he broke up with me”. Continuing on with the conversation Harper asked Saylor where david was and with bee being there was curious why, with Harper speechless Saylor said “since Harper and Ryan are in a unfortunate situation at the moment she needs someone to escort her, He is in the room right at the top of the stairs darling” Saylor says softly.Harper then made she way to the room up stairs where David was after she stopped to say hello to her aunts. When Harper got to the top of the stairs she entered the room where David was standing looking out the window.

Harper said hello to David as he was looking out the window, when he was about to say something he turned around and said “WOW! You look fantastic” With Harper giving a slight giggle she says “You’ve seen this dress on me before at practice” David still in aw replies saying “ I know but for some reason it looks better tonight”. Carrying on with the conversation Harper says “Ryan’s not coming, you need to be my escort you need to be lined up at the stairs in ten minutes”. As Harper in getting ready to exit the room David said “ wait Harper” Harper turning half way around saying “what” or almost said it but was unable to finish because David grabbed her by the waste pulling her in to kiss her, all she did was go on her tiptoes to be at the same height as him. Ending that kiss and starting another was what happened before Harper exited the room. Once Harper was on her way to the stairs she ran into Miss Annemarie asking where the little girls room was, Harper showed her where it was and opening the door for her she got an unexpected push with more force then there should of been but it cause Harper to stumble backwards tripping on the seam of her dress hitting her head on the small sink and she fell backward to the ground. As she opened her eyes she could hear footsteps and then she could see Miss Annemarie over top of her then the next thing she heard was what sounded like falling metal, Miss Annemarie searched until Harper heard her say “Ah” grabbing the knife which was behind the toilet seat walking over ready to stab Harper. Harper had known how to get away from something like that from practice she rolled to dodge it knocking Miss Annemarie over. She sat up quick trying to head bunt Harper but she dodged that too. Harper then did a move to knock Miss Annemarie out then she hid the body and went off the find Saylor. When she exited the Bathroom she didn’t hear music and she didn’t Hear voices and all she could think was that they had started while she was fighting with Miss Annemarie.

Harper went to the room where all of the girls were supposed to be meeting before the Cotillion would start to huddle and discuss. As she entered the room everyone was happy she was there and with no thought she said “Has anyone had any punch”, Mary Beth saying “do you think were stupid? You and Saylor basically said you would kill us if we did”. Harper saying good left the room to go get David bringing him the the room with the girls, She made sure it was safe then she said to Bee “lock this door, nobody gets in nobody gets out, i’ll be back”. As Harper left the room she was bombarded with people who had drank the punch which Blythe had put the mind-control potion in and cause everyone to want to kill Harper, David and Saylor. Harper was flipping, kicking and punching innocent people so she would be about to avoid being killed, as she got to the stairs her Aunt Jewel was there with the punch ladle Harper feeling horrible for doing it pushed her with her elbow knocking her down the stairs to the floor. As Harper continued down the stair she was knocking down innocent people that had no clue what was going on, as she entered the kitchen she saw Saylor leaning against the cupboard staring to the floor with her hand pressed to her stomach. Harper got closer and closer and she saw what Saylor was looking at, in was Brandon lying on the floor, all Saylor said was this man attacked me removing her hand from her stomach blood ran down her skirt. Harper was worried because Saylor was bleeding but she could fix it with a spell, Harper then asked Saylor where Blythe was because she hadn’t seen her but all Saylor wanted to know was if David was okay. Harper replied saying “yes he is in the room upstairs with all seven of the girls” Saylor saying “seven?” Harper replied “yes all seven”, Saylor grabbing Harper shoulder saying softly “hunny there's only six other girls” Harper worried said “Blythe is in that room” and she ran out the door knocking over people to get through she ran up the stairs and smashed through the door to see David standing in the middle of the room mouth open and Blythe staying unknown random word and all the other girls huddled at the wall. Blythe said to Harper you're too late and then David zapped a light from his finger and it shone on the girl huddled nothing happened. Then Harper ran to Blythe knocking her down onto the bed then before she new it someone was lifting her away from Blythe and putting her on the ground, next Harper went over to David to see if he was okay and by that time Blythe was up telling them that Savid had turned the girls into Paladins. Harper pulled out her knife that she had under her dress and walked towards Blythe ready to kill her, but Bee grabbed her wrist saying she was sorry but couldn’t let Harper hurt Blythe and Mary Beth grabbed her arm and the twins were behind her.

Harper was getting pulled back, hit and kicked by her best friend Bee. Harper was explaining that they had the same powers and they could train together, all Bee had said was that she was sorry and she didn’t know what was happening to her. At the end of the fight Blythe said to David “ you coming with me, lets go”, David responded with a sharp no and Blythe grabbed Bee and not long after they had disappeared. Harper and David made there way to the stairs, as they looks down they saw a sea of bodies lying on the floor with no movement. As they began descending down the stairs David asking where Saylor was, Harper said “ in the kitchen”, and they headed that way, as they entered the door of the kitchen they thought they would see Saylor leaned up against the counter looking peaceful but as they got closer as she was one the floor with Ryan holding her hand. “I wanted to see you do Cotillion, so I can back. I came in through the backdoor and I saw Saylor and Brandon, when I got here she was alive, barely but alive, and then she... ” Ryan said, Harper answering quickly said “ Kissed you”, “ Yes, and then she was gone” Ryan said softly. “I didn’t want her to die alone” David said as tears rolled down his cheek, “She didn’t, I was here with her the whole time” Ryan replied. Next Harper grabbed Saylors jar of lip balm and handed it to David saying “you need to go to the girls upstairs and erase their memories because you are our new Mage”, “right” Ryan said. Next they were stepping over the bodies and making their way up to the room with all the girls, when they entered the girls were still talking and giggling like nothing had ever happened. David zapped them with his magical finger taking away there Paladin powers and Ryan did a memory spell on all of them. After they were finished that they all went down the stair trying to find Bee’s Parent’s, once they did Ryan did a spell telling them that Bee went to a cheer leading camp instead of participating in Cotillion this year. They were pleased she had made that decision but they were unsure when she would be back, they new it was soon but that all they new. Harper and David then explained to Ryan what all of this mean’t and asked him if he was ready to be apart of it, all he said was “I can’t , I can’t handle any of this my ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend being in a secret group and having magical powers and me having powers now too”. David told Harper that he would change his mind and the next thing you new they were all in the computer room at school getting ready to see more visions of the future.