1 (edited by douglas.davies 2018-09-28 13:28:57)

Topic: Plague Ship by Clive Clussler and Jack Du Brul

The prologue of the Plague Ship starts off in World War 2 at the English Channel. Were a Focke Wulf Fw 200 Kondor is being used as a spotting plane. The Kondor’s job is to fly along along the English Channel and look for an American fleet. When they found the fleet they would radio in the position of the fleet. Then the Kriegsmarine and the Schnellboots would ambush the fleet completely obliterating them. All while the Kondors crew were completely safe and out of range of anti air guns. That's what would have happened if the Americans had not preemptively launched a Swordfish (It's a plane not an actual fish) before they had gotten spotted. The Swordfish’s ambush killed all the crew except the pilot, Franz Lichermann and the rear gunner Ernst Kessler. With expert flying abilities and damaged fuel lines Franz was able to crash on a glacier in Norway. However the crash costed his life, but Ernst survived the crash. Now Ernst is all alone but he has a plan. Ernst believes he saw a lodge on his way down. So he decides to find it and take shelter in it. When he arrives at the lodge he discovers that its not a lodge but instead an ark. This is the end of the prologue. This prologue left me curious as to why there's an ark in the middle of a glacier. Since the title is plague ship, my guess is that the ark contains some kind of ancient plague. The prologue was enough to get me firmly hooked. I think I am going to like this book.

Re: Plague Ship by Clive Clussler and Jack Du Brul

Now on to chapter one. Chapter one starts off with two Iranians investigating an old beaten up freighter called the Norego. The Iranian military is investigating them because they believe that they could be smuggling goods. When they arrive they are met with the captain of the ship Ernesto Esteban. The two Iranians are convinced when they realize how disgusting the fat Spanish man and how equally disgusting his ship is so they leave. Because they think that no smuggler would hire him. Since smuggling in the Persian Gulf was considered a time honored and a noble tradition. I think they should have searched the ship no matter how disgusting. My bet is that it's going to come back and bite them.

3 (edited by douglas.davies 2018-09-29 16:06:03)

Continuing chapter one. As soon as the Iranians leave Esteban takes off his disguise revealing that he is Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo. Next we are introduced to Max Hanely who is the vice president of the Corporation and Juan being the chairman. The Corporation is a private secret service. Like captain like ship the Norego was also a disguise its real name being the Oregon. The Oregon is a repurposed lumber carrier that for two decades carried lumber from Canada and USA to Asian markets. The reader is also introduced to all the gadgets that that have been introduced the Oregon. I have a criticism about all these gadgets. My fear is that with them they will omit any challenges or obstacles.

Moving on to chapter two. In chapter two Juan's team breaks into a dry dock to investigate rumors about the Russians working with the Iranians. Once in the dock they have to take out the armed guards. Juan disguised as a captain, attempts to subdue two guards by giving them narcotic-laced cigarettes. The reader learns that the Corporation prefers non-lethal methods. This is good because it means that the characters won’t become soulless killing machines. All of a sudden two guards walk in on Juan. One runs to alert the navy. It's only a matter of moments he and his team is swarmed.

Chapter three starts off with a demonstration of the team's cold efficiency by eliminating the two guards. With a little investigation they discover two Russian TEST-71 torpedoes. This is obvious proof of Russians and Iranians working together.They also take the data from the computer. So they steal the two torpedoes and rig the computer place to blow when some motion sensors are set off. So they ride off into the sunset on the Nomad to the Oregon. With expert piloting skills Linda is able to safely board the Oregon.

Continuing chapter two. Shortly after arriving the Iranians discover what had happened. They reacted with radio silence. This makes Juan and his team nervous their obviously plotting something. Suddenly a the radar pings four torpedoes appear. Three targets the Saga, Aggie Jackson, and the Oregon. The fourth is to finish the one that defends itself.