Topic: It by Stephen King

The book starts off in 1957 with little Georgie Denbrough following his paper boat through the flooded streets of Derry. Then the story jumps back to when the boat is being made. Georgie's older brother, stuttering Bill (as his classmates call him) is helping him create his boat. Georgie needs to get the wax from the cellar but he is paralyzed with fear because he thinks that when he goes for the power switch a hairy monster will grab him and drag him down. He goes to flick the switch and to his demise no power. The storm had knocked out the power. This means that he has to brave it out or leave his brother disappointed. He goes descends into the cellar and retrieves the wax without getting eaten. Back to Georgie chasing his boat when all of a sudden his boat goes down a gutter. Unexpectedly Georgie sees a pair of eyes look up at him. At first Georgie assumes that a house cat got blown into the gutter but he realizes that is false when it starts to talk to him. Shortly after it speaks to him he sees that it is fact a clown. It introduces itself as Mr. Bob Gray, also known as, Pennywise the Dancing Clown and he offers his boat back. Unwisely Georgie reaches down to grab his boat. Within forty five seconds Georgie is dead. Dave Gartner arrived to see what happened and he is horrified by the sight of George's lack of a limb. The chapter ends here. I think that most people when seeing a clown in a sewer would be a little more weirder out than Georgie. When I was little I use too have the exact same fear as Georgie so I find it easy to relate.

Re: It by Stephen King

Chapter two starts off in 1984 with Don Hagarty crying to Harold Gardner (a police officer) explaining how his homosexual boyfriend Ardian Mellon got killed. The murder suspects are three angsty teenagers Steve Dubay (seventeen), John “Webby” Garton (eighteen), Christopher Unwin (fifteen). The officers seeing Unwin as a weak link pressures him into telling him the story about how Ardian Mellon died. According to Unwin, Webby and Steve beat the living daylight out of Ardian with insane bloodlust and tossed him into the canal. However Unwin passes the blame onto a clown that was on the canal. This does not match up with Webby and Steve's account of the murder however does match up with Don’s. The officer do not include this clown in their murder case because it is ludicrous. When they go to court there is no mention of a clown because if it is mentioned the defense lawyers will pick up on it it an use it to pass the blame so the teens go free. John Webber Garton was convicted for first-degree manslaughter and sentenced to twenty years in Thomaston State Prison. Steven Bishop Dubay was convicted of first-degree manslaughter and sentenced to fifteen years in Shawshank State Prison. Christopher Unwin was charged as a juvenile and he was convicted of second-degree manslaughter. He was sentenced to six months at the South Windham boys’ Training Facility, sentence suspended. I think chapter does a good job of how portraying how gay people were mistreated in the 1900’s. Also I feel like the clown was somehow fueling the teen’s bloodlust.

Chapter three stars off in 1985 with Patricia Uris in her house with her husband Mr Stanley Uris sewing while watching Family Feud. When all of sudden the phone rings it's his old childhood friend stuttering Bill. This stirs something inside something of Stanley. He decides to take a bath. His final bath. After a while Patricia finds this bath at seven unusual and out of his character and  his routine. When she goes to check on him the door is locked and he isn't replying. This sends her into a panic. She goes into a frenzy and searches for her key to the bathroom when she opens the door she is welcomed to the sight of her dead husband. Stanley had slit his wrist with a razor blade. He wrote something on the side of the tub with his blood IT. What I can take away from this part of the chapter is that some serious stuff had happened when he was a friend with Bill.

Continuing the chapter we learn about another one of Bill’s friend Richard Tozier. Richard Tozier is a Radio host with his fantastic voices. According to Rich these voices help him to be brave. Suddenly he gets a call from Mike Hanlon. Mike tells him something. He tells himself that everything is going to be alright, but his confidence slowly fades in that statement.So he phones up his travel agent for a trip to Derry. After this he starts to have a mental break down which ends up with him vomiting in the toilet. Something serious happened in Derry all those years ago.

Continuing chapter three Mr. Lee is thrown off when Ben gives him a frightened look and Ricky instantly he assumes that he lost a  family member. Ben asks for some whiskey. He shows a trick that he learned from the natives in Peru for drinking whiskey. He started by squeezing lemon juice into his nose. Then he drinks a third of the bottle. Then he tells Ricky about his childhood as a an overweight kid and how the his bully Henry Bowers cut an H into him. He drinks again. Then Ben gives Ricky three pure silver coins and tells him to give them to his kids. Hanscom recognizing this pattern from a fellow who shortly after he drank committed suicide. But when he leaves Ben doesn't think that he is going to kill himself for some reason.

Continuing chapter three were introduced to Eddie Kaspbrak to his overflowing medicine cabinet. Because Eddie thinks that he has a weak immune system, he overstocks on medicine. Eddie had gotten the same phone call that everyone else did, so he was stalking up on all sorts of medicine. That's when his wife catches him. His wife is Myra who happens to be like his mother in the size department, huge. He starts having flashbacks to when he was a kid. When he was little at school he attended Physical Education and his mother didn't want him attending it because she said that he was too delicate. Even though his teacher there is nothing physical unhealthy about him, his mother keeps insists. The teacher says that maybe it's psychological. At this statement his Mother absolutely loses her top. Eddie is brought back to present when his wife begs for him to say.

Continuing chapter three we start off with Myra begging Eddie to tell her what is going on. Eddie obviously doesn't tell because of the absurdity of something, Eddie now explains to readers how he got married because he was chained with sweetness. Next we learn about Eddies job as a private taxi service and how Myra has to fill in with him which Myra is not happy about. He finally leaves the house by using kind words and will power.

Once again still continuing chapter three this time we’re introduced to Beverly Rogan and her husband Tom Rogan. Within the first page we learn that Tom is a terrible husband. Tom is woken up by Beverly on the phone and tells Beverly to the tell the person on the phone to go away in an unpleasant way to say the least. She gives him a look of dismissal. Tom loses a bolt and gets mad at Beverly. Then we get an explanation of how they met and how Tom took advantage of her and got married. I feel bad for the people who are stuck in theses relationships in real life.

Continuing chapter three Tom falls into a blind rage and prepares to dish out a, “whuppin.” (His word not mine). This word broke my immersion because I imaged a preschooler with a New York accent saying, eh, little Timmy I’m gonna give ya a whuppin.(Sorry for the poor English I was just trying to replicate a New York accent.) Then proceeding to walk over to little Timmy smacking him with the strength of a toddler. This kept amused through the whole section of the domestic abuse between Tom and Beverly. Anyways Beverly fights back and pushes a cabinet on top of Tom this immobilises him and allows Beverly to make a quick escape.