Topic: The Lost Girls by: Jennifer Baggett, Holly Corbett and Amanda Pressner

The lost girls is a story about three ladies who took time away from reality to travel the world together. Throughout the book, Jennifer, also known as Jen, Holly, and Amanda will give their views and perspectives on each place they go. The book starts out by giving an overview of each person's life. They all live in new york city, with their boyfriends and husbands, some of them also have kids. They all have jobs as television talk show hosts and writers. I think this book is going to be full of adventures and I am looking forward to hearing more about the different places around the world. I hope one day I can be like these three ladies and travel around the world too.

Re: The Lost Girls by: Jennifer Baggett, Holly Corbett and Amanda Pressner

The first stop the girl’s went was Argentina. They spent ten days hiking and walking through the jungle parts of Argentina. The first area they explored was Iguazu. Iguazu was full of caves and rock walls. They climbed up the rocks to a waterfall, it was beautiful they claimed. After exploring that area they caught the bus and went back to their hotel. It was still light out and they had a few hours left till sunset, so they decided to go on another hike and to Devil’s throat waterfall. They hiked up a cliff and followed the signs to Garganta Del Diablo. I think hiking to these waterfall would be a lot of fun. The girl’s hiking adventures reminded me of when I went hiking in BC with my family and our friends, we saw lots of animals and also a few waterfalls.

After the trip to Argentina the girl’s returned to their home city of New York. There they continued with their lives of working and boyfriends. Jen and Holly are writers for a magazine company, while Amanda is an editor. All the girls work really hard to accomplish lots of things that they barely have time to see each other and even their boyfriends. Brian, Elan and Baker. They wanted to take a break from reality so they have started planning a 365 day trip around the world. This trip is going to be complicated because the girls don’t want to lose their jobs or boyfriends by being away for that long. They also need to save up lots of money and work a little harder to catch up before and after the trip. I think traveling around the world with some of my friends would be a lot of fun and I would want to do it sometime when I’m older. My aunt and uncle have traveled to lots of places and almost around the whole entire world, I want to experience that too.

The first place the ladies traveled to was Peru. They had a long flight there which took almost a whole day. When they arrived the airline had lost Holly’s baggage. Even though it had been a long and stressful day the girl’s still decided to go on a hike before their day came to an end. The girl’s hiked up a long flight of stairs that felt like would never end, but it eventually came to a stop. They arrived at Cusco, “the city of the sun” where they found the place they were staying at for the next few days. Jen compared themselves to Dorothy and ToTo from The Wizard of Oz because they felt as if they were discovering new forms of colours and light in Peru. As said on advertisements they decided to try out the Loki hostel also said to be known as the backpackers’ paradise. I think the start of the trip sounded pretty fun and I would have enjoyed it a lot. The start of this trip reminds me of the time when I went to Mexico, it was a long flight, hot and the airline had also lost my baggage.

Peru sounds like an amazing place to travel and that is one of the places I like to travel someday. Described as in my book, Peru has lots of large, cobblestone church’s, lots of whitewashed brick buildings, steep crumbling staircases. Although Peru has lots of cool buildings, the views of mountains, oceans, and jungle looking areas make it a great place to be. The girl’s not only got to see what Peru looked like they also got to see what type of culture they have what they like to celebrate. Each year a famous party is held called the “ Fallen Angel”, this party is full of cultural music and dancing, not only do you get to dance but in order to attend you must be dressed in “ las alas” which means wings, you have to have angel wings on in order to be let in. I have enjoyed learning more about Peru and I can’t wait till I can one day see it for myself. I am looking forward to learning more about other places also.

The adventure continued in Peru as Jen, Amanda and Holly took a hike on the Inca Trail. This was no ordinary hike, this one was special, a group of about 30 people spends a week hiking on the trail, looking at different sceneries, sleeping outdoors under the stars and seeing what it would be like to live like some poor foreigners. The group of 30 and a few leaders traveled for a week on the trail, stopping to for sleep and food every few hours. On this kind of trip, you didn’t have to carry lots of things, your group leaders also are known as “ porters” carried all the food, tents and supplies that would get everyone through the week, this stiff wight about 60-70 pounds. Every once in awhile the porters would offer you a Snickers bar to hold you over till dinner. After hiking for a few days they finally made it to their destination, Machu Picchu. Machu Picchu was a city, It had many different framed gates and stone walls that matched the angle of the summer and winter solstices. The city also contained beautiful staircases, and building sitting on a flat plateau framed by a cloud-covered mountain peak. It sounds like the ladies had a great time and what they did sound pretty cool, I wish I could someday go and do this hike for myself.

Peru is a foreign country, in most countries that it is your first time traveling too you never know what’s going to happen. While the girls were hiking around they caught a virus. Lucky Holly and Amanda only caught it and Jen was perfectly fine. After spending a few days in bed they weren’t feeling any better. Jen decided to call a doctor, when the doctor arrived he did some test but couldn’t figure out what they had. After a while, he just decided to give them a bit of medicine that would hopefully make them better. Within the next day, they were back to normal and continued on their adventures. Personally, I  think it would not be fun to catch something over a trip. I would feel like I would just want to go home and not continue the trip. I remember one time when I got car sick in Mexico, that was not fun.

Next, Holly Jen and Amanda found themselves in a new location. The girl’s arrived at the Amazon Jungle.  When they arrived they checked into a lodge, where they met a guy named Cliver. Cliver was a nice young man who had offered to take them around and show them all the things that people do and all the different cultures around the Amazon Jungle. The girl’s experienced floating down the Amazon River. The water flowed fast and was very cold which made it harder to keep balanced. After that all three ladies and Cliver hiked the Canopy Walkway, This walkway lead them to cross 14 suspension bridges, into a cave where a doctor lived and to an indigenous tribe called the Yagua Indians. The suspension bridges were made up of wood planks and thick large cables, they floated about more than 100 feet in the air. After crossing those bridges they found a cave which contained a doctor, he was no ordinary doctor instead he used plants from and made them into medicines that can fix anything, all you had to do was drink it. Later on, they met a tribe called Yaguas. The Yaguas were indigenous people who lived in huts made from sticks and dried grass, they believed in making their clothes out of leaves and anything they can find in the wilderness. The Yaguas taught them how to use blow darts, and the elders taught a traditional dance, they spun in circles and used instruments such as drums and flutes while they sang and danced. I think it would be a cool experience to learn and see what our cultures are like. I remember going to Calgary Heritage park with my family and all my aunts, uncles and cousins, it was fun see how things were in the past and I hope I can show my kids when I am older too.

It was Amanda’s twenty-eighth birthday. Jen and Holly both surprised her that morning with a pink, blue and silver tiara with matching earring and black high heels. All three girls went out for dinner to celebrate. Early ago in Lima, Amanda met a guy named Carlos who showed her around and told her about the history of Lima Peru, and it just so happened that they saw each other again while out for dinner. Carlos invited the girls over to his house in Lima and threw a party in honor of Amanda’s birthday. I think it would be pretty cool to meet new people on a trip and get to see them every once in a while. I remember when I met my friend Jayde in Edmonton and we still keep in contact over text and snapchat.

After the fun Birthday party night, the girls headed out to their next destination, Rio Brazil. Amanda had gotten two free night at a legendary beachfront property. They had a butler, private beach huts and room service. They felt like they were living in a dream compared to the dorms and motels they stayed in at their previous destinations. This is a simile because they are comparing their lives to a dream. After their time at the resort had expired they moved down the street to a hostel called the Mellow Yellow. The front desk man, Morris gave the girls invited to a “ Favela Funk party” this is a party with lots of dancing, loud music and is hosted on top of one of the tallest mountains or hills in Rio. The girls met lots of new people and danced the night away until they had to move on to their next stop on this year-long trip around the world. I would like to visit Rio one day. I have heard a lot about it and all the different kind of traditions and parties they have like Carnivale. I also have watched the movie Rio which takes place in Rio and would someday like to see it for myself and not just pictures and movies, it looks really pretty and cool.

The girls had a small break between Brazil and the next place they were traveling to, so they decided to go back to New York and visit their boyfriends and friends. Jen and Holly both still had boyfriends but Amanda didn’t so she just stayed at her friend Sara’s. They had two weeks to do whatever they wanted but Amanda didn’t tell anyone she was back in New York so she just stuck around at Sara’s house and help with whatever she needed. After a few days, Amanda finally told one of her old friends she was back for a few days and asked if he wanted to meet up, sadly the guy rejected because he already had a new girlfriend. Amanda just continued with what she was doing and later met Holly and Jen at the coffee shop to discuss their next leg of the trip. I can relate to this by the times where I have come back from trips. When I came back it was a little different because unlike Amanda I was excited to see my friends and catch up, not ignore them and not tell them I was back.

Recently Holly lost had lost her Job and was not sure how she was going to be able to pay for the rest of the trip. Holly had told the other girls that she might not be going but didn’t want to disappoint them. After hearing this news Jen and Amanda tried to figure out how they could help so that Holly could come. The girls didn’t want to travel with only two of them cuz it wouldn’t be the same and they did want Holly to feel left out or miss the new opportunities. Jen and Amanda decided they could help pay for Holly’s trip and she could get jobs at each place they go for a little extra money. I think by what Jen and Amanda are doing for Holly is a good and kind thing to do. When it comes to my own life I would try and do the same for my friends. This has happened before in my life when one of my friends doesn’t have enough money to pay for lunch or something and I have a little extra so I help pay for them.

After the girls left the coffee shop they went to the travel agent to hand in their papers and book flight to their new destination, Africa. One thing that Holly wanted to do was help out at an orphanage or school in another country. They got in contact with an agency that does this kind of services and booked a spot to help out in Africa. A week later they arrived in Africa where they took a bus to a small little house just outside of one of the cities. The house was small and the walls were made of cow dung which a fresh new layer was added every few weeks. At the small house lived a young man named Joshua with his wife Sandra and their five children. The family owned a small school called Pathfinder Academy. The land contained a small school building made of tin and cinder blocks as well as animals such as cows, chickens, and dogs.
The girls were greeted by a tall woman named Irene. Irene was another one of the volunteers who was helping out that week. Irene showed them around a little more then they got straight to work preparing bread for that night’s dinner. Later that night everyone sat down around a small table and ate lots of food while some of the students showed off their talents. I think volunteering at a shelter or school like this would be really fun. I think this kind of work really puts smiles on other peoples faces and also gives you a chance to see what others lives are like. This work can also make you realize how lucky you are for your owns lives. I hope to do this type of work in the future.

The girls got to know the other girls who lived at the academy more and more as the week progressed. The had a big slumber party with all of them, watched movies and played games. One night they turned on music and found out that the border girls loved dancing. After the news of dancing Amanda, Holly, Jen and Irene started a dance class which was in one of the classrooms every night at six. They taught the girls different dances moves and also let the girls show off so of their own moves. To help out even more at the academy Jen had the idea of writing a play, holding auditions, picking parts for all the girls and performing it.  The play was called "A Tree Grows In Kenya" Jen and her friends spent hours each night writing this place than when it was finally ready they went into town and made copies for each girl. The girls auditioned and then later choose for parts. They practiced every night. this reminds me of when I was little and used to be in dance. I worked hard and practices just like these girls.

The adventure continued in Africa. Jen and the other volunteers took a break from the academy and went to visit a local hospital. This wasn't just an ordinary hospital. this hospital was hand built and owned by a lady named sister Ferda. Ferda was a woman in her early fifties. When Ferda was young her parents sent her away and made her marry a guy who she didn't know at all. later she had four kids and divorced her husband and applied to medical school. Ferda got a job at a hospital and worked until she finished school. When she finished school she left the hospital and built her own outside of the city.  Ferda became very successful and now owns her own center where she heals sick children and adults who can't afford to pay for hospital bills, food, and clothes. Recently she expanded and also created an orphanage. When the volunteers visited the one little girl who was three and been in the orphanage since she was a few months old connected and made friends with Holly. Holly carried her around and learned more about her which made her become very attached to this girl whose name was Ester. Holly and Jen went back the next day and took money and medications that can help play for the patients. Since Holly became so attached to Ester she decided to sponsor her and pay for anything that she needs. I liked hearing sister Ferdas story and it made me think of how I can help others more. My family for the past few years has helped sponsor kids who need help and every moth's money goes to them and helps their family.

After the adventure in Kenya, they headed over to India. When they arrived they were greeted by a guy named Sunil. Sunil was their tour guide for a week and showed them around and showed them all the tourist sites. While visiting the sites they often were asked by the locals to get a picture with them. Getting pictures with tourists were the biggest souvenirs to the locals and having a picture with what they called a western gave them more status and was really important to them. They got to see many sites and learn new things such as how they handled situations. In India, if you were to be in a crash you were to move away fast and not help the other person or talk to anyone. I think this way of handling accidents is not a good way and people should help others and not ignore that stuff happened. If I were to ever see someone hurt or hurt them I would stay and help them until everything is better.

When the week came to an end the girls headed to there next place. They went further and into a different part of India. Instead of flying they found a cheaper way of taking a train. They train had three classes first, second and third. Since they got tickets last minute the only spot left was in the third class at the back. When they got on they were joined by lots of other large families and lead to a small bench in the back. What they didn’t know was that the train was participating and trying to break a record for the slowest train. The trip would take 17 hours. The train was dirty and filled with bugs.  The girls had a hard time keeping the bugs off them. Sleeping and staying still. When they finally fell asleep they slept for hours until they were waking by a man pushing a large cart and handing out drinks. I remember when my family when on a train with all of my cousins and grandparents. We traveled for a few hours and then stopped in a small town. This train ride was fun and we got to see horses and riders, riding and shooting guns. They also had many gift and candy shops on the train along with funny conductors and live music. This train ride was a lot of fun, I will remember it for a long time and I hope to do it again some other day.

When the train ride came to an end they headed to a camp where they would stay a week and take a bunch of different classes such as hiking, yoga, meditation and tea time where they met new people and improved on their social skills. This camp was all about learning how to become a better person, focus on your mind and body. After a week had past Jen and Amanda left to Goa while Holly decided to stay another month and learn more. Holly was the type of person who wanted to learn new things and explore on this trip while Jen and Amanda wanted to relax. I remember in grade 6 at Vibe day when I was in mindfulness class where we focused on the mind and body, I didn’t enjoy that class very much but it was ok.

Holly continued to stay at the camp. She made a friend named Chloe who did everything with her and was about the same age as her. Jen and Amanda also made friends and also met up with old friends from New York. Walking along the beaches they were always stopped by little kids who were trying to sell stuff like bracelets and little nick nacks. They mainly said no or tried to bypass the sellers but the one little girl named Rebecca followed them and never left them. They took her out and bought her lunch then later bought a bracelet from her and became friends. This reminds me of the time when I went to Mexico and there were lots of people on the streets and beaches trying to sell stuff, it got annoying after a while but we learned how to avoid them as the week progressed.

Jen and Amanda traveled to Laos while Holly was still at the camp in India. Jen and Amanda explored Laos, they met new people and enjoyed seeing all the different building and trying all the different foods. They were greeted by three waiters who never stopped smiling and really liked them. After the encounter with the waiters, the girls headed out of the town and to a spa they heard was one of the best massage places around. When they arrived after a 30 min cab ride they were greeted by the owners and given robes to change into. They sat around pots filled with burning coals in a small shack that was used as a Shauna. After sitting there for a few hours they were taken and laid on cots where they were given massages. I like getting massages but sometimes they make me ticklish and make me laugh. I wish someday I can go to a spa with my friends and have an experience like Jen and Amanda did.

Jen and Amanda made a new friend in loa whos name was Carter. Carter was from the states too and was also traveling to other countries and destinations.  They went for meals together and went tubing down a river. The whole thing took about 5 hours but every few feet were new cool zip lines and mini bars where you could buy drinks and snacks. I want to someday travel and meet new people. On family or school trips or even just with friends around the world.

Holly woke up one morning in lots of pain, bright red eyes and the feeling of dizziness.  One of the girls at the camp drove her to the hospital where she was given many types of medications, pills, and creams. Arriving back at the camp she decided to go for a walk down by the lake. She walked for a while until she found a small bench. Sitting on the bench she had many thoughts, she thought about why she came to the camp in the first place, what Amanda and Jen were doing without her and what she was going to do when she leaves. Holly stayed in bed for the next few days until she had the energy to participate in the yoga and meditation activities again. I think that I would o crazy in one of these camps for a month and I wouldn’t be able to last like Holly is. I remember the times when I got sick and had to stay in the hospital for a few hours on IV and medications, that was not fun but I was happy when I felt better and could go back to playing hockey and school.

Jen and Amanda found more friends from their home town and also made new friends. They met a guy who was around the same age as them. Amanda thought he was attractive and started to get a crush on him. She knew on the road relationships were going to be hard but wanted to give it a try. The guys' name was Carter. Amanda and Carter went on a date and later found out they were staying at the same hotel. The next morning Amanda, Jen and their friend Beth got on a plane and flew to another spot in the Thai Island and to a resort called Luang Prabang. They heard lots of people recommend this place and decided to try it out for a change. When they arrived they were greeted by many locals and taken to their room. Years ago the resort had been damaged by floods and earthquakes but recently rebuilt and now up and running again. It had many bars and pools. This resort reminds me of the time my family and I went to Mexico. We stayed at the Riviera Maya. It had lots of water slides, pools and swim up bars. I loved this vacation and hope to go back again someday.

After Holly finished her month at the camp she returned home to spend Christmas with her family. When she arrived in New York she was standing outside looking at all the beautiful city lights and admiring the fresh cold air, when she heard footsteps come up behind her. She turned around to find her boyfriend Elan standing behind her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and they hugged in the street for a few minutes before talking. They were both really happy to see each other. Holly spent time with Elan then later caught a plane to Bangkok to meet up with Jen and Amanda. Holly told them about her encounter with Elan. I remember going to my friend's houses or trips with friends when I was little and being so happy to see my family again and I still am happy to see them when I come home from trips.

The girls were trying to travel from Bangkok to Cambodia but got stuck at the border. Jen had one empty page in her passport for a Cambodian stamp but the officer refused to stamp it and let her through. The officer told her she must get more pages added to her passport in Thailand. They were going to have to go back to Bangkok but they gave it one last try and tried to bribe the officer to let them through. They offered him money and he accepted and they got through. They were told they have to get more pages when they arrive in Cambodia and had to write letters and sign them to get permission. I like traveling but sometimes the security guards scare me but I know I have never and never will do anything wrong and that they will help protect me.