Topic: Day 2 of Advent: Getting to Know Jesus

Watch the "Getting to Know Jesus" video and add a short but meaningful reflection and join in the discussion here.

There's a big difference between knowing about someone versus actually knowing them. This Advent, we want to get to know Jesus, not just know about him. That's what Advent is about—preparing to meet him and to know him. Let's take a closer look at that . . .

https://dynamiccatholic.com/best-advent … know-jesus

FOCUS
Jesus wants you to get to know him.

ACT
Write down one way you can purposefully meet Jesus this Advent. Here are some ideas, but feel free to come up with your own! You could spend one minute in silence each day to simply be calm and listen for Jesus’s voice. Write the word “joy” on a card and tape it to your bathroom mirror. Or read one chapter from the Gospels every morning.

PRAY
Jesus, open my eyes and my heart so that I may recognize when I am encountering you.

Re: Day 2 of Advent: Getting to Know Jesus

I haven't been able to meet somebody that I've read or heard about yet.
My family doesn't have any pictures of Jesus or crosses but I wouldn't mind having at least one to lift up my spirits.
I don't think I've met Jesus.  In my eyes, I haven't experienced a true connection or any kind of connection with Jesus.
I would like to have a connection with Jesus but I don't know how to allow myself to trust and believe in Jesus.
I have this constant fear of being alone in the world with nowhere to go and no one to see or be with.
I will try to connect with Jesus and get to understand him better some day.

3 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-12-07 10:36:10)

Advent is about getting to know Jesus, instead of just knowing who he is. The story Allan tells, about his daughter, symbolises how when we get to know Jesus, he will always be with us. Just like the picture was with his daughter. We don't have to meet Jesus to know him, we have to get to know Jesus in our heart, and our mind. Knowing Jesus means that we know who we are, and who we want to be, who Jesus want us to be. The best version of ourselves. I personally, want to work on letting Jesus in my life, and getting to know him better. I hope that Jesus can always be with me, ad when I leave to University Jesus will be there with me, helping me along the way.

Have you ever heard of someone and then met them face to face? One year around Christmas I was at my babas house when she started talking about an uncle I didn't know I had. I can't remember where he lives but it's about five hours away. I ended up meeting him a few years later. He was just a normal guy but I'm glad I met him and didn't have to live years of my life wondering why I had never met him.

I have seen someone that I have only read about on the highway in Edmonton. I am planning on leaving home to go off to college, I hope and have to remember no matter how alone I feel I can bring Jesus in my heart and he will protect me an guide me. I have the worry of not being good enough of a Catholic and that I can constantly try to be better. It's hard to know exactly because like Mr.Sader  said that your questions would even stump a college kid.

Have you ever read about someone and then meet them? Well in this advent we want to meet Jesus obviously not met him in real life but in the spiritual life. We want to have him in our soul to keep him close to us especially in difficult times in our lives. We need to explore the greatest question of our faith. Do we know Jesus? As much as we would like to think that we do, we don't truly know Jesus but that's ok because advent is the perfect time to get to know him better as we prepare for the coming of Jesus. Advent should be the point in our lives when we feel like we know Jesus the best truly encounter him in our life.

Day 2 of Advent

Have you ever read a book and met that person in the book, No because I don't see a lot of people making books. This advent we want to get to know Jesus, do I have a picture of Jesus, I do not have any pictures of Jesus. Have I ever met Jesus, No I have only ever read about him, he is nice though and even kind. We can meet Jesus in our own hearts. This advent was good it talked about have you ever understood that you can meet Jesus not in person but in your heart. No matter what you cannot meet Jesus in real life but you can have a connection with him other than church and that is within your heart. You don't have to be baptized although it does help you get closer to advent and Jesus. Advent will help you understand how to meet Jesus within your heart. You do not have to do it alone, to get closer to Jesus and meet him. You can understand and talk about your beliefs with other people who believe and have met Jesus too. This was a great advent.

Have you ever met someone that you would read about, like Jesus, we are supposed to get ready to meet God. In my room, I have a big cross that has love hope and Jesus all over it, I have it since my first communion. Talk and trust in God, like Sarah did, she knew Jesus and she loved him. She knew that God would be with her during her journey away from her family. Sarah took Jesus with her, even without the picture she would still have God in her heart and her mind. We can meet Jesus in our own hearts. We are supposed to ask ourselves how we met Jesus, through your mind, your heart. But also sometimes you question if you even believe in God. Is he even there? But you can't exactly overlook it but you can believe through it, you can believe God even though he has forsaken you. Because he is the reason where you are now, you can either look at it as a cup half full or half empty. Even though we have terrible doubts we can still believe in him through the ruff.

Have you ever read about someone or hear of them and met them face to face?
I have heard a lot about Hayley Wickenheiser. This winter I had the opportunity to travel to Calgary and meet her in person. I had the chance to talk with her, take pictures and even get to her to sign some of my belongings. She seemed very nice and I liked learning more about her. It was a cool experience and I’m glad it happened.
What do you do when you feel alone?
When I feel alone I often have trouble thinking about happy things or if I even have someone who is here with me. I know that when I am scared of feeling alone I can also turn and look at Jesus, I know he will be with be through everything, even the worst of times. I often feel like I can talk to him and that he will be here to answer my questions and help me.  I know I can trust him and that I will always have someone with me even if I feel like I don't.

Have You ever net Jesus?  I haven’t met him. When it’s time for me to go it is his choice.  Once I leave for College, University, I’ll always have the important people who will watch over me when I leave home. Yeah, I’ll miss them when I leave but I will always have them in my heart and knowing them that they are proud of me for my success.

have your only ever read about someone and then meet them? I have met someone that I have only read about I meet them at nationals and I got to bowl with him his name was Bradley tiget he is a 5-time national winner. what troubles you now in faith will always trouble you. unlike a math question in grade 9 when your in grade 12 you will look back and say that was easy but not when your talk in faith your question will always be unanswered.

I need to get to know Jesus. I know where to meet Jesus. In my heart. In order to do this, I need to do some deep reflection. I need to ask these hard questions. Questions that I don't understand. Is God real? Do I really know Jesus? Do they love me? Why am I so doubtful? Will I have ever find an answer to these questions? I don't know. I feel like a person could get depressed asking these questions. For some reason, I don't want to ask these questions. But, I know I will have to eventually ask them. Why do I fear them? I don't know.

The main question that I found in this video was do you know Jesus and have you meet him? For me, I would say that I don't know Jesus. But I'm increasing my knowledge about him every day I go to church and pray and other things like that. I have never might Jesus and will eventually but I just have to learn more about him.

Getting to know Jesus: Have you ever met someone that you have read about?  Advent is the time to meet and get to know Jesus. Jesus is always with us no matter what. Jesus is always in our hearts. Have you ever felt that you’re alone? Well, you shouldn't think that way, because whenever you feel that way, just know that Jesus with you every day, and probably for the rest of your life, because he is in our hearts and souls. Jesus is a part of us and nothing can change that. Jesus is that friend who is always with you, even in the toughest of times.

This video asks if you’ve ever heard things or read things about someone and then you eventually meet them. Relating to this question I have many friends that I met through other people that I have talked to for many months over social media before I actually meet them. The first story in this video is about a man’s last night with his family all together before his oldest daughter goes to college. I feel that when I move out on my own it won’t be that different because since my sister is 19 she is moved out and my parents are divorced so every time I stay at one of their houses its only the 2 of us, either me and my mom or me and my dad. So I feel that when I move out it will not be a big change because I not moving out of a house where there was a whole bunch of people. The only thing that worries me is being alone at night, because ever since I was little I hate being outside at night or alone at night.

When I younger my dad told me a hockey player that used to live in Vermilion, his name was Brandon Baddock.  He played for the Edmonton Oil Kings and even though I never played hockey he helped me to believe that even from a small town you could accomplish your dreams.  At that time he was a really big role model of mine and I wanted to be number thirteen jus like him.  One day my family and I got the chance to go watch an Oil Kings game and afterwards they surprised me with the chance to meet him.  I was so grateful and will never forget that day.  I even got to get his signature!

-Advent is about learning to know Jesus. Knowing Jesus means you can turn to him in times of doubt or sadness. We don’t need to meet Jesus to know him, we know him when we realize He has always been in our hearts, and that he has always been with us even though we didn’t realize. Knowing Jesus means you’ll never be alone in your times of need. It may take some time to begin to know Jesus but when you finally realize that you know him and trust him completely it will probably be one of the best days of your life. I don’t know Jesus at this time in my life and yes I have my doubts about him but one day that day will vanish and I will know Jesus.

The day when I was in the Philippines I met a lot of famous celebrity has it makes me really happy because I get to meet them and it’s the blessing in my life and also seeing my grandma again for a long time and the rest of my family. I met Jesus in my dreams when I was asleep and telling him that I don’t wanna die yet and hoping that my family will always be safe and every time when I’m in the church I pray that my family would be safe and especially to myself. Getting to know Jesus is the best thing that would happen to my life because he is always there to us and to pray and protect us for the things that we are afraid of and the life we struggle on.

Getting to know Jesus. We want to know Jesus, not just know about him. Meet Jesus, encounter him. This topic stood out for me. This past few weeks I’ve been so lost. Asking the same question to myself if I really know Jesus? And have I encounter him? But the thing, as much as I want to know him, how? I am a person that grew up in church. Sounds a bit strange to not know Him right? But it's true, and I don't know how to know him. I guess it's a process. I’m trying at least.

20 (edited by cruz bodurka 2018-12-14 14:36:41)

Where can we meet Jesus?

We can meet Jesus in our hearts. If you open your heart the Jesus then he will meet you and you will meet Him. Once you meet Him he will always be with you no matter where you are, what your doing he will always be with you. He will be with you even if you hurt Him, He will forgive and be with you.

Advent is about getting to know Jesus. When we know Jesus we know what he will always be there for us in times of sadness and doubt he is able to be trusted and will always be there for us. The story Allan told us was about his daughter Sarah and how she was going to college the next day, she decided to go to bed and then he went to bed but before he went to be he went to see if she was okay and she was holding a picture of Jesus that had hung on her wall through her childhood and that's when he knew that she had encountered Jesus, how she loves him and that she would be safe when she went to college and would never be alone. Christmas is a time to get to know Jesus better.

I have heard people on the radio, idolized their music and even met them in person. It was a pretty amazing experience getting to meet someone that you've only heard and seen pictures of. However, none of those encounters would come even close to meeting Jesus. I have encountered Jesus on many occasions. When We were in a bad rollover car accident and we all survived. When my cousin Brittney was in the hospital in Edmonton after she got into an accident and she died. At the birth of a newborn lamb. In the smile of an elderly person. IN the eyes of a child. I have encountered so many amazing times with Jesus and yet I still don’t have a personal connection with him. That’s sad, however, it gives me a clear goal.

When watching the second day of advent video, I think they want us to know about advent and about Jesus and know him more. Some questions that they ask us were, have we ever met someone and even met them face to face? Have we ever met Jesus? Where are we able to meet him? Here’s my answer to both of them, yes, I have met many faces, a lot, many at the Philippines, and many at Canada, and I am very glad I have met them and befriended each and every one of them, without any of them being one of my friends, I would not have either happiness nor comfort. For the second question. No, I have not myself, but we can feel them in our soul anywhere and anytime, what I mean is, he is always around to be with us.

Have I ever met someone I have heard about then meant.
    Yes I have mat someone who I have heard of the band Iron Maiden
Do I have pictures of Jesus in are house
`    Yes a cross in my room
Am I going to move on
    Yes I’m going to move somewhere else when I’m 18 19.
Where can we meet Jesus
    In my heart

Have you ever read about someone and then met them? We have all read about Jesus and during Advent, we are presented with the opportunity to meet him, of course, I don't mean literally meet him but you can meet him in your heart, your mind, and your prayer. Advent is time to take off and be with Jesus and meet him every way.