Topic: Eragon by Christopher Paolini

I just stared this book yesterday, and I already really like it. The main character's name is Eragon. When Eragon is out hunting in the Spine, a mountain range that hardly anyone goes into, he finds and unusual stone. It was about a foot ling and oval. It was polished dark blue, and had thin white lines all over it in resemblance of a spider web. Eragon decided to take the stone back home, hoping that it might have some value. One night, after Eragon got back home, the stone started squeaking and rocking back and forth. The stone broke open and out came a baby dragon. The stone wasn't a stone, it was a dragon egg. Eragon kept the dragon, hoping that he could learn to ride it. Eragon soon found out that he and the dragon had some kind of mental connection. He could communicate with the dragon through his mind with emotions and images.

Re: Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Eragon lived with his uncle, Garrow, and his cousin, Roran. Eragon named his dragon Saphira. When he went into the village one day, Eragon saw two men dressed in black robes. They were part of the Ra'zac. Eragon went to tell Saphira about the men, and she got really scared and flew with Eragon into the Spine. When they got back the next day, they found Eragon's house destroyed and Garrow under a pile of ruin with burns all over his body. They got him to someone who could heal him as quick as they could, but Eragon collapsed on the way. Sadly Garrow died. Eragon was going to find the Ra'zoc and kill them in revenge when he was stopped by the village storyteller, Brom. Brom insisted on coming with Eragon and though Eragon was reluctant to let him come, he gave in. Eragon and Brom started their journey on foot, with Saphira flying above them. When they reached the next town, Brom bought two horses for them to ride. after about a two days journey they came out of the mountains and into a very large flat desert-like plain that would take them about three or four days to cross. when they got to the nearest village, they found it deserted, but then got attacked by two Urgals, huge ogre-like evil creatures. Brom got hurt by one of them and Eragon tried to lead them away from him. Eragon accidentally went down a dead-end road and both the Urgals were blocking the only exit. Eragon drew his bow, and with a burst of overwhelming energy, hit the first Urgal in the forehead. When the arrow hit the Urgal, a blast of blue energy washed over everything and killed the other Urgal, but didn't touch Eragon. Eragon bandaged Brom and they, along with the two horses and Saphira, found a sheltered spot in the forest to spent the night.

I read a lot since I last wrote here so this might be kind of long. The last book that I read wasn't that good so I am really enjoying this story.  Eragon found out that he had used magic to kill the Urgals. He used a word from the ancient language used by elves. Brom started teaching Eragon how to use the magic carefully and wisely, with the ancient language. He and Brom continued on to find the Ra'zac. They stopped at a small town to get supplies before continuing on. Eragon rode on Saphira's back for the first time since she took him to the Spine. They landed partway through the day and Brom noticed that the Ra'zac's tracks had stopped. They were trying to figure out what to do next when Eragon found a metal flack with the Ra'zac's symbol on the ground. He opened it up and poured some of the liquid onto his hand. His hand was imideatly felt like it was on fire. He told Brom and he told Eragon that it was rare Seithr oil with the property to eat flesh.  They decided to go to a coastal city called Terim. There they would try to find an old friend of Brom's, Jeod, who could help them find the shipping records and see where the oil came from and where it went after that. The day after they got to Terim and found Jeod, Brom started teaching Eragon how to read, since he never learned when he was a child.

When Eragon was in Terim, he went to the herbalist's shop beside Jeod's house. The light inside was dim because of all the plant's vines growing over and around it. The floor and counter were covered in unusual objects, some Eragon knew and some he didn't recognize. He went over to the counter to look at it more closely when a cat jumped up onto it. Eragon ignored the cat and went to look at something he was curious about when he heard the voice in his head. It was just like when Saphira spoke to him, but this was different. Finally, Eragon realized that it was the cat who was talking to him. The cat told him that it wasn't a normal cat, it was a werecat. The book didn't elaborate on what a werecat was, but I'm guessing it was sort of like a werewolf, but a cat. Werecats were supposed to have magical powers and knew more than they told. Eragon was surprised to meet a werecat, they were very rare. Eragon asked the werecat what its name was, and its reply didn't say exactly what its name was, but that Eragon could call it Solembum. The woman who worked at the shop came out and was also surprised to find out that Solembum spoke to Eragon, something he rarely did. The woman asked if Eragon wanted his fortune told, and after some thinking, he decided to see what she had to say. Instead of going to her crystal ball, she took out a bag of small bones and, as she shook the bag, said a few words in the ancient language. Eragon knew she would be truthful with his fortune, as you cannot lie while using the ancient language. The herbalist spread out the bones on the table and started telling Eragon what would happen in his future. Among other things, Eragon would have a very long life, but someone in his family would betray him. I found this part of the story quite interesting, but I'm not sure why. I really am enjoying this whole book though.

I read a lot since the last time I wrote, so I'm going to be brief. If I wasn't, it would take about 4 posts or 1 really long one to cover everything. Eragon left Terim with Brom and Saphira and went to Dras-Leona to find the Ra'zac. They got there and when Eragon was looking around, by himself, he went into a cathedral and got cornered by the Ra'zac and a whole lot of soldiers. Eragon escaped by going through a side door and climbing over the courtyard wall. He and Brom left that day and, with Saphira, went into the desert. Not far out of Dras-Leona they were captured by the Ra'zac and were saved by someone who shot one of the Ra'zac with an arrow.  In the process of the Ra'zac leaving and the man saving Eragon and Brom, Brom got stabbed with a dagger. When Eragon regained consciousness, he learned that the man who saved them was called Murtagh. Eragon tried to heal Brom, but the next day, he sadly died. Eragon decided that he had to get to a place called the Varden to fight the Emperor. The problem was that Eragon didn't know how to get to the Varden, but someone in Gil'ead did. Eragon, Saphira, and Murtagh went to Gil'ead and, while they were outside the city, Eragon got captured bu Urgals.

When Eragon woke up, he was in a cell and his head was fuzzy and he couldn't think straight or remember any of the words from the ancient language. Eragon looked out the window in the door of his cell, he saw many soldiers carrying an unconscious elf. On his journey, Eragin had a few dreams about a beautiful elven woman who was captured and in a prison cell. That was the same elf that he saw going past his cell. A day later, he realized it was because the food and water they gave him were drugged. He stopped eating and drinking and while he was in the process of escaping, he found that Murtagh was coming to save him. They took the elf with them to free her, but when they were waiting for Saphira to get them out, they were found by a Shade(the bok doesn't specify what a Shade is but I think it's an evil creature with really pale skin and red eyes. They are super fast and strong and not to be underestimated). Eragon tried to hold off the Shade with his sword, but he was already weak from not eating or drinking. When Saphira came, she destroyed the roof of the building but was slowed down when she was flying away because she was carrying three people which she wasn't used to. Saphira's wings got hit with a few arrows and that slowed her down too. She landed in a clearing away from Gil'ead. Eragon got the arrows out of her wings and healed the wounds with magic. Eragon and Murtagh were trying to figure out where the elf (still unconscious) came from and how she got captured since no one has seen an elf since Galbatorix started looking for them. I think this book is really good and I really like Saphira. The story is good and I can't wait to see what happens next.

While they were in the clearing, Eragon tried to heal the elf's wounds with magic. Eragon, Murtagh, Saphira decided to go south through the Hadarac Desert and into the Beor mountains. They got to the Desert a day later and continued on there way. When they needed it Eragon pulled water up from underground with his magic. The heat and rough conditions made both Eragon and Murtagh ill-tempered. The next day, their second day in the desert, Eragon saw the huge shape of the Beor Mountains looming over them. He told Murtagh and their spirits rose. That night they stayed in the foothills of the mountains. Eragon was worried about the elf because she had been unconscious for a week and hadn't eaten anything. He tried to contact her through their minds and was met with stabs of pain in his mind. Eragon told her, in the ancient language, that he was a rider and a friend. She let down her defenses and Eragon asked what her name was and why she was still in a coma. The elf said that her name was Arya and, while imprisoned, she was given poison. Without the antidote, she would die in a few hours, but the coma was slowing the poison. Arya told Eragon that he could find the antidote with the Varden, and showed him how to get there. Eragon told Murtagh and Saphira what Arya had said and started making a plan on how to get to the Varden quickly. Murtagh got mad at Eragon and told him that he felt like he had to stay with Eragon even if he didn't want to. Murtagh said that he couldn't go to the Varden. Eragon and Murtagh started fighting until Saphira forced them apart and Eragon to ask Murtagh what was really the problem. Murtagh wasn't very clear, but he said the Varden would let him in but they would never trust him. He said it was because of his existence. I don't really like Murtagh. He has a bad temper and gets frustrated at Eragon more than once. Although Eragon has flaws too. Who knows, maybe Murtagh will turn out to be a great character.

I'm getting to a really good part in my book. Eragon, Murtagh, and Saphira were still in the foothills and Murtagh was about to tell them why the Varden would never trust him when Saphira saw a column of figures marching towards them in the distance.  Murtagh pointed out that they were Urgals, not men. Murtagh decided to stay with Eragon until a certain spot where he would leave them and go off on his own. They left their camp and rode through the night. When they stopped, Murtagh saw a band on men standing on a hill beside them. Murtagh and Eragon took out their swords as the men rode down the hill. Eragon and Murtagh were surrounded and soon realized that the band of men where trying gto capture them to be slaves. Saphira came swooping back and the men scattered and ran away, but their leader was struck by a javelin, then beheaded by Murtagh. When the threat was gone, Eragon got mad at Murtagh because he had killed a defenseless man. Murtagh said he was only protecting them and if he lived, he might tell Galbatorix or the Urgals (who were still following them) where they were. They rode on in silence, and at the end of the day, they stopped to rest. The next day, when Eragon was riding Saphira, he noticed that the Urgals were gaining on them even though they were going at a speed Eragon didn't think was possible. A few days later, they were almost to the Varden, but the Urgals were coming closer and closer. To slow them down, Eragon and Saphira decided to drop rocks on them. They went down a small side valley in the mountains and at the end of it was a lake. Murtagh was upset because he hadn't found a way out of the valley and he gave in and told Eragon why he couldn't go to the Varden. Murtagh told them that he was the son of the Rider who joined the Empire. The only evil Rider. Eragon was shocked. When they made it to the lake, they started towards the waterfall on one side, but the Urgals came out of the forest and blocked there way back. The Urgals started going around the other side of the lake too, so they could trap the Rider and his friend. Saphira tool out as many as she could, but they kept coming. This part of the book was really suspenseful. They made it under the waterfall, but Eragon was saying the words in the ancient language and nothing was happening. Then Saphira realized they were on the wrong side of the lake. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

I have about 100 pages left in my book and I can't wait to finish it and start the second book. Once Saphira realized they were on the wrong side of the lake, they ran back under the waterfall, but Eragon was pushed into the water by the force of the waterfall. He got pulled out of the water by a person who Eragon soon realized was a dwarf. They went to the other side of the lake and huge stone doors opened in the side of the mountain and Eragon saw Saphira and Murtagh, the latter with a knife pressed to his throat, standing with a mixture of men and dwarves at the entrance to a tunnel. Eragon was about to use magic to free Murtagh, but a tall, bald man told him to stop or Murtagh would die. They went with the people from inside the mountain and were led to an entrance room. The bald man kept interrupting Eragon and the others when they tried to tell him that Arya was dying until the dwarf who pulled Eragon out of the water got mad at him for not realizing that it was the elf Arya who was hurt and needed a healer. Once they realized that, Arya was taken to a healer. The bald man painfully examined Eragon's mind with magic, but Murtagh blocked him out of his mind. The bald man had caused both Eragon and Murtagh pain and Orik, the dwarf that saved Eragon, once again got mad at the bald man, this time for hurting them. Eragon, Murtagh, and Saphira had to stay in the entrance room that night. Eragon asked Murtagh to tell him about he, a child of one of the evil Rider Morzan, had come to hunting the Ra'zac and helping a Rider. Murtagh told Eragon about his life and then they went t sleep. When they woke up, they were taken down a long tunnel, and close to the end, Eragon was allowed to ride Saphira. At the end of the tunnel, Eragon was instructed to ride Saphira slowly down the path in front of him. The doors opened and they saw they were inside a huge volcanic crater.  The walls were higher than any dragon could fly. In the center of the crater was a mountain made of marble. It was the city of Tronjheim. Saphira went down the path to the city. When they got there, they saw the mountain, inside and outside, was covered in elaborate carvings, jewels, and decorations. They were led down a hallway to a large cedar door. Everyone filed inside. I love this book so much. The story is so good and when I'm done this book, I'm going to read the next one.

Once they were in the room behind the big cedar doors, they met the leader of the Varden Ajihad. Eragon was surprised and alarmed when a man came out who looked exactly like the bald man who showed them there.  They were twins and were given no name, everyone just called them the Twins. Ajihad sent everyone out of the room except Eragon and Saphira. He also sent Murtagh to a jail cell because he didn't know if he was trustworthy enough. With Saphira's help, Eragon told Ajihad their story, starting with when they were at Caravahall, and Eragon first was the Ra'zac. Ajihad was worried about the news of the Urgals, forming alliances with the Empire, and the news of the Shade Eragon fought. After Eragon's story, Ajihad told him of what was happening, and what has happened, with the Varden and what they were fighting for. He also explained about the Varden's relation to the Dwarfs and Elves. When they were done talking, Ajihad called Orik in and said that he must be punished, because he went against orders by opening the gates to let them in. Sadly the punishment for such crimes is death. I don't think Orik should die, He saved a dragon, her Rider, and an elf. The Varden doesn't like Murtagh, so that wouldn't convince them to not kill Orik. If he hadn't opened the gate, they all would have been killed by the Urgals. I hope he doesn't die.

Ajihad isn't going to have Orik killed. I'm really glad about that. Orik didn't deserve to die. Ajihad said that, because of the circumstances, Orik wouldn't be able to fight or train, but he wouldn't die. Orik showed Saphira where she could stay, then got Eragon some food. While they were talking, Orik told Eragon about the dwarves. They had few cities, but they could walk from one end of the Beor Mountains to the other without going above ground, only traveling through the tunnels the built. Orik also said that much of Tronjheim was deserted. Most of the upper levels of the mountain weren't occupied, and they only had about 4 thousand humans. Though there were few humans, there were many dwarves and elves willing to help. The king of Surda, a neighboring country, had supplied them with weapons and other necessary supplies. When he was going up to Saphira, Eragon got stopped by a woman who asked him to bless the child that she was caring for. Eragon had never blessed anyone before and wasn't sure what to do. If it went wrong, a blessing could do more harm than good. Eragon did his best and gave her a blessing with words of the ancient language. Saphira helped and gave the child hope. Where she touched the baby, a star appeared, the same color as the mark on Eragon's hand that proved he was a rider. I can't wait to see if a battle between the Varden and the Empire. If it's not in this book, it would probably be in the next one. I really hope Saphira doesn't die. Nothing has suggested that she will, but sometimes authors kill off great characters. I hope that doesn't happen in this one.

I am so close to finishing this book, and then I'm going to read the next one. a few days after they got to Farthen Dur, the mountain where the Varden was living, Eragon went to the training field to get tested. This test was only to see how much Brom had taught Eragon, and how skilled he was, so they knew what more he had to learn. When he got there, the Twins were waiting for him. They were going to test his magical abilities. The Twins asked Eragon to do a lot, while they were opposing him, trying to make him fail. Finally, they asked Eragon to summon the essence of silver, something Eragon never learned how to do. Just when he was about to try, Arya came, well and healthy again, and stopped him. She reprimanded the Twins for telling Eragon to do something only the very best magician could do. Next Eragon was tested physically, with his sword. He fought with Arya and since elves are very good with swords, he lost, but everyone was congratulating him on how well he fought against Arya. Arya told him that he passed the test and was ready to continue his training.

I am about 20 pages away from the end of this book so I'm definitely going to finish it today. I got the second one from the library and it is bigger than Eragon. The second book is called Eldest. After Eragon fought Arya, he went with her to a hill a short distance away. Arya said something to Saphira in the ancient language, but Eragon didn't understand it. Arya thanked Eragon for saving her life and told him of how she got to the jail in Gil'ead. She also told Eragon that he was ready to proceed in his training as a Rider. That meant he would go to Ellesmera (the main city of the elves) to complete it. Eragon told Arya that he had a ring, given to him by Brom, with a symbol on it and asked what it meant. Arya said the ring was a gift given to the most valued elf-friends. She also said he should wear it when he went to Ellesmera because it would give him protection and might help him gain favor with the Queen. When he got back to the city, Eragon wandered around, talking with Saphira. That night, Eragon was woken up and was told to go to Ajihad. When Eragon got down from the dragon hold, he was told that the Urgals were coming through the tunnels under the city Farthen Dur.

14 (edited by mary.ulrich 2019-10-14 17:16:58)

I finally finished this book. It was so good. Once they knew about the approaching Urgals, Eragon and Saphira went to collapse some of the smaller tunnels under Farthen Dur. The plan was to try to keep the Urgals in three main tunnels. Eragon and Saphira were brought armour to wear. All the people able to fight stayed behind while the others left to go to Surda, a neighbouring country. The fighters split into three groups. One at each of the tunnel entrances. They put up defences and waited for the Urgals to come. Eragon was instructed to relay what was happening to the Twins, through their minds, like how he talks to Saphira. They had been waiting for a bit more than a day when the Urgals showed up. There were many more Urgals than fighters from the Varden. They just kept coming and coming. The Varden fought with all their strength. During the fighting, Saphira got hurt, and the Twins told Eragon to meet them at the city in the middle of Farther Dur, the mountain. They went quickly, and while Arya was healing Saphira, Eragon went to find the Twins. When Eragon was looking for them, he was cornered by the Shade, Durza. A Shade has skills comparable to no other. Eragon was forced to fight him, but Durza hurt him very badly. He was very weak and he was about to be killed when Saphira and Arya came through the ceiling and distracted Durza. Eragon managed to stab Durza through the heart (the only way to truly kill a Shade) before going unconscious. When Eragon woke up Angela, the herbalist from Terim was there. Eragon went to talk to Murtagh (who was let out for the battle) and Saphira. But while he was unconious, someone was telepathically talking to him. He said he was called Togira Ikonoka, The Cripple Who Is Whole. This person said that he could answer Eragon's questions, and told Eragon to find him in Ellesmera. Eragon was told not to tell anyone about their conversation. In the end, Eragon decided that he would try to find this Tigira Ikonoka when he went to Ellesmera for his training. This book was really really good. I loved the characters and the plot, but I kind of wish Brom didn't die. I understand why he did though, it added to the book, and he was a great character. I got the second book from the library and I can't wait to start it.