Topic: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer, Rick Riordan

I just started a new series called Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard. The first book is The Sword of Summer. It was written by Rick Riordan. Riordan also wrote the Percy Jackson books, which I love. I hope these books will be as good as the Percy Jackson series. Before I even started the book, I wondered if there was going to be a connection to the Percy Jackson books because the main character's last name is Chase and one of the main character's names in Percy Jackson is Annabeth Chase. When I started the book, I realized that there was going to be some sort of connection. Magnus is 16 and homeless. The story starts on his 16th birthday, and he finds out that his cousin, who turns out to be Annabeth, and his Uncle Fredrick are looking for him. Magus sneaks into his Uncle Randolph's house but gets cornered by Randolph. He takes Magnus to one of the bridges in the city. There is this rumbling sound and a column of smoke that is moving around the city. On the way to the bridge, Randolph tells Magus about the Vikings and Norse mythology. When they get to the bridge, Randolph tells Magnus to summon the sword from the river. Magus has no idea what he's talking about but has a weird feeling that he might be telling the truth, that the mythology is actually real. Magus tries to get the sword and an old rotten piece of metal comes flying out of the river, into Magnus's hand. The column of smoke is at the bridge now, and Magus could see there was a giant in the smoke. The giant's name was Surt and he wanted the Sword of Summer that Magnus had just pulled out of the river. The Sword had transformed and looked like an actual sword now. Surt was making the weather really hot, and the pavement started to melt, but Magnus wasn't bothered by it. He tried to fight but got hit in the stomach with a ball of melted pavement. He was knocked over the side of the bridge but managed to bring Surt down with him. Magnus fell into the river and died.

Re: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer, Rick Riordan

I am about 50 pages from the end of this book, and it wasn't a short book. It has about 400 pages. Magnus did actually die, but the story's not over. He wakes up clean and healed in the courtyard of some fancy mansion. A man who looked terrible came out and tells Magnus he's supposed to check into the hotel. The man's name is Hunding. He showed Magus inside the building. The building was called Hotel Valhalla. It was for hero's when they died. They stayed there forever, or at least until Ragnarok. I'm not sure what Ragnarok is and I hope they explain it more. Magnus was brought to his room on the 19th floor out of 540 floors. He met his Valkyrie, the person who decided he was worthy to be in Valhalla and saw his room. Her name is Samirah al-Abbas, but people call her Sam. At supper that night, Magnus saw a tree in the center of the humongous dining hall and surprisingly, there were animals in the tree. The most noticeable one was a goat, walking around in the tree. At supper, the deaths of the newly dead people were shown by video to everyone eating supper. The rule in Valhalla was that you had to die with a weapon in your hand. Magnus did, but the video was changed so it looked like he dropped the sword before he died. Sam, the Valkyrie, was held responsible for this because she chose Magnus for Valhalla. She was stripped of her Valkyrie powers and disappeared from Valhalla. When Magnus's fate was to be determined, the Norns came. The Norns are like the three fates. If they come to determine someone's fate, something special is happening. That doesn't happen every day. They gave a prophecy that said Magnus was "Wrongly chosen, wrongly slain." That and other parts of the prophecy unnerved Magnus. The next day, he met his hallmates and the activity for the day was like a mock battle. If the people in Valhalla died while they were in Valhalla, they came back to life in a few hours. They were preparing for Ragnarok. Before he woke up, Magnus had a dream where he was talking to Loki. It wasn't a real dream. Loki was actually talking to him. When he woke up, Hearth and Blitz, the two homeless people were falling out of the tree in Magnus's room.

Re: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer, Rick Riordan

Hearth and Blitz told Magnus that they were in the world tree (a tree that connects the Nine Worlds) trying to find Magnus. While they were there, they got noticed by the Giant Squirrel that lives in the Tree. It was about the size of a human, and it was very dangerous. It chased Hearth and Blitz and followed them out of the Tree. Magnus, Hearth, and Blitz went out into the hallway and saw Magnus’s hallmates (Mallory Keen, Thomas Jefferson Jr who is also called TJ, Halfborn Gunderson who is a Viking warrior, and X who is a half-troll) standing outside the door. They heard the noise and wondered what was happening. When they come running out of the room, TJ asked why Magnus had an elf and a dwarf with him. Of course, Magnus had no idea what he was talking about, but they had bigger problems. Some of Magnus’s friends stayed to fight the Squirrel, and the rest of them went to show Magnus, Hearth, and Blitz a way out of Valhalla. Once they were out of Valhalla, they decided they needed to go find the Sword of Summer again. Magnus also learned that his homeless friends, Hearth and Blitz, aren’t actually human. Hearth’s real name is Hearthstone, and Blitz’s real name is Blitzen. Hearthstone is actually an elf and Blitzen is a dwarf. Since dwarves live underground, Blitzen had to be covered or he would slowly turn to stone. The opposite was for Hearth. He needed to have sunlight. Not all the time, but most of the time.