Topic: When a Rabbit Exits a Burrow, Will its Eyes Hurt from the Light?

We've recently discussed Socrates and his method. Here's a classic example of such a dialogue:Plato's Allegory of the Cave

Caves are metaphors.

What are 21st Century Caves?

Re: When a Rabbit Exits a Burrow, Will its Eyes Hurt from the Light?

Ummm....I hope you don't expect us to read ALL of that huge dialogue. A 21st century cave would likely not take on physical characteristics. A child being sheltered from the world by his mother would be cave. But the course is directing our attention to philosophy. So most people live within these caves, perhaps they are schools which don't teach the question we are asking ourselves. Or living a life just to fufill our most basic desires. All could be caves.

Dykstra wrote:

A 21st century cave would likely not take on physical characteristics. A child being sheltered from the world by his mother would be cave.

I agree with this although I would say that there could be some physical caves in our modern age. I found it quite interesting when I went to Malaysia, away from North Americanism, how differently they live. To a certain extent we use as our homes as a cave to get away from everything around us, where as over there you would go out on the streets and everyone would be sitting out on there porches talking to their neighbours. They would just spend hours outside their house. But I find that our society encourages seclution.

21st century caves are created , in a metephoric sense, are created within ourselves. It is a personal choice to not seek for more knowledge. To live a shelterd life instead of searching for more and asking almost impossible questions to answer. Sophie lived a shelterd life before the Philosophy course given to her by Alberto Knox. She never thought about who she was because there was no reason to, no purpose. While as small children they can be created by our parents, there comes atime when we have to chose wether we will stay in the dark or step into the unknown possibilities of the light.