Topic: Revenge!!!! (#6)

Justice and revenge... is there a difference? I'd say that the
main difference is that justice is brought by an authority
while getting revenge is personal.

2 (edited by Kesela 2007-10-04 09:14:24)

Re: Revenge!!!! (#6)

I don't think there's really a difference...especially when it comes down to Hamlet. Everyone dies, why does it matter what they died for?

It does matter, revenge rarely stops. It is just a big circle. Claudius kills Old Hamlet, Hamlet kills polonius, laertes comes after hamlet. Revenge doesn;t stop, where justice can have an end.

I agree with wmcauley. I think the only real difference is if you spend the time in going to the authority figure, it is considered justice and if you go about it your own creative way it is revenge. In Hamlet's case, he is going for the revenge root.

Unless Hamlet gets Justice by killing Claudius, then Gertrude gets Justice by killing Hamlet, Polonius was collateral damage, so Laertes gets justice by killing Hamlet too (he only dies once). Either way, they all die. When everyone dies, then the cycle is over, and it's he perfect ending fo a tragedy. ^_^

But if more and more people get sucked into this viscious cycle then more and more humans are going to die and the cycle will never end. Even with justice there is no "OK its over and done with", there is always a gruge to be held.

I agree with Warren as wizzell. Revenge and Justice can be two completely different things. It just depends on the situation. If someone is charged for ATTEMPTED murder and they are tried in court, the person who they unsuccessfully killed would be there to get revenge. If the perp did happen to murder whoever he's going for, there would only be a prosecutor to get justice.

I don't know if that makes sense, it's kind of a crappy example but... oh well.

8 (edited by gfraser 2007-10-04 09:24:33)

Just because you go to the authorities, doesn't mean their actions are justified.  What about capital punishment...how is that any different than going after the guy yourself, the end result is the same.

I couldn't get the link to work, nor find someone to assist me.... http://www.cbc.ca/checkup/archive/intro980208.html

Wouldn't Hamlet be justified to kill Claudius? Of course the consicence in a "mind's eye" report to any human being that murdering an uncle was more wrong than anything. However Hamlet does not see it in that sense. The only thing that concerns him is gaining the will power to do what the ghost has requested of him, and nothing but. I think that once the ghost revealed to Hamlet the truth about Old Hamlet's murder, the conscience Hamlet once with held becomes completely evaporated from every aspect of Hamlet's frame of mind.

Exactly, gfraser! Everyone dies in the end, so what does it matter? Revenge and Justice are exactly the same thing. One just sounds nicer.

Sure, the end result is the same death. But revenge is a weight on conscience, a guilt trip. Justice is more clean, it is the group of peers decision that is approved by society.

The end result may be the same, it is just the consequences you have to deal with afterwards. If you went to the justice cycle then you are some what protected, but if you go about by yourself, then you have the authorities looking for you and the people you harmed.

Why can people go to jail because of revenge, while
if someone seeks justice they are scott free?

In response to ldutchak's post...if Hamlet's conscience has been completely evaporated, then how is it that Hamelt is justified in killing Claudius?

wmacauley raises a good question- one that I don't believe I can answer on account of I have been pondering the same thing.  However, justice is served by a board of unbiased individuals, while revenge is based mostly on the emotions of the person wronged.

croth wrote:

Sure, the end result is the same death. But revenge is a weight on conscience, a guilt trip. Justice is more clean, it is the group of peers decision that is approved by society.

So Justice is just a death that's approved by society? That makes the death okay? Wonderful. If I get court approval, then I can kill and it makes no difference. I'll be sure to tell that to God on judgement day...

If Hamlet kills Claudius, is he relly gonna feel better about it all of a sudden though. I mean if i was to was to hear who killed my father and i went and killed him, i wouldn't feel better about it, especially if it ended up killing my girlfriend, mother, and many more people i was close with.

Gfraser, if Hamlet no longer had a conscience, he would not understand that what he was about to do was in the least bit wrong. A conscience is merely the guidelines that are layed out for humans to follow that report to them what is right and what is wrong. Without this mind direction, Hamlet would have no idea that he was about to do something that was not right. Even if he was completely aware that it was wrong, he would ignore his conscience screams because knowing and doing what is right is not on his list of priorities at this point in the play.