Topic: Act IV Questions

Act IV
Scene I
How does the witches’ rhyming couplet refrain add to the atmosphere? Why is the use of “double” appropriate to Macbeth?

List the three apparitions and quote the statement accompanying each.

When Macbeth asks if Banquo’s issue will ever reign, what is he shown?

Tell how Macbeth’s words contradict or belie his actions with regard to the witches. These words repeat his statement in a previous scene. Locate it.

Macbeth says, “To crown my thoughts with acts, be it thought and done!” What is he planning?

Scene II
Briefly summarize what happens in this scene.

Scene III
Another reference to foulness being hidden is given by Malcolm. Quote that line. To whom is Malcolm referring?

In talking to Macduff, Malcolm describes many of his own vices. Further, Malcolm lists kingly virtues that he himself does not have. List several of those “king-becoming graces.”

Why does Malcolm portray himself as a potential, sinful tyrant? Quote Malcolm’s negation of his own description.

How does Macduff’s reaction to the deaths of his wife, children, and servants contrast to information about him in Scene II? What does Malcolm encourage Macduff to do?

Explicate this line: “The night is long that never finds the day.”

Re: Act IV Questions

2.List the three apparitions and quote the statement accompanying each.

-First Apparition: 
Macbeth! Macbeth! Macbeth! Beware Macduff; Beware the thane of Fife. Dismiss me. Enough.

-Second Apparition:
Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn The power of man, for none of woman born shall harm Macbeth.

-Third Apparition:
Be lion-mettled, proud; and take no care Who chafes, who frets, or where conspires are: Macbeth shall never vanquish’d be until Great Birnam wood to high dunsinane hill Shall come against him.

6, Lady Macduff is angry that Macduff has left her saying “Her young ones in her nest, against the owl.” She meant that he left her in the castle without protection. Later when she is bathing her son discusses about traitors and honest men. Her son reply’s with a witty comment stating “Then the liars and swearers are fools, for there are liars and swearers enow to beat the honest men and hang up them.” His statement is pretty clear but he means that the traitors and liars could defeat the honest men because there are many more traitors and liars then honest men.  Her son also states that Macduff is not dead because “If he were dead, you’ld weep for him.” She loves MAcduff and would miss him dearly. During this scene, Macduff’s castle is being invaded.  When they intrude on Lady Macduff she states that “I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find him.” Meaning that Macduff is not a traitor but a good man who deserves to go to heaven. These intruders will not find him because he is not here. Lady Macduff and her son are killed.

Why does Malcolm portray himself as a potential, sinful tyrant? Quote Malcolm’s negation of his own description - Malcome is trying to get a feeling for exactly how lloyal macduff is to the cause of dethrining macbeth.  He portraies himself as a vicious tyrant because he wants to know if he can trust macduff.  The way that Malcom questions Macduff hints that he wants to know if macduff hates macbeth as a man or just as a king,  this will determine how lloyal macduff will be.

- "imyselfimean: in whom i know all the paeticulars of vice so grafted that when they shall be open'd, black macbeth will seam pure as snow, and the poor state esteem him as a lamb, being compared with my con fineless harms."

How does Macduff’s reaction to the deaths of his wife, children, and servants contrast to information about him in Scene II? What does Malcolm encourage Macduff to do?

Macduffs reaction tells us that there is also a soft part of him that is very compasionate and feels pain. It show us a side of a man that loves his family dearly.  Malcolm urges Macduff to turn the pain he feels into anger toward macbeth he  this comming after he has tested the lloyality of macduff in the previous scene.

meghan wrote:

2.List the three apparitions and quote the statement accompanying each.

-First Apparition: 
Macbeth! Macbeth! Macbeth! Beware Macduff; Beware the thane of Fife. Dismiss me. Enough.

-Second Apparition:
Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn The power of man, for none of woman born shall harm Macbeth.

-Third Apparition:
Be lion-mettled, proud; and take no care Who chafes, who frets, or where conspires are: Macbeth shall never vanquish’d be until Great Birnam wood to high dunsinane hill Shall come against him.

Also with the three apparitions there are symbols.
The first apparition: an armed head
The second apparition: a bloody child
The third apparition: a child crowned, with a tree in his hand

5. "To crown my thoughts with acts, be it thought and done"

Macbeth is really saying that from now on, as soon as he decides to do something he is going to act immediately. In fact, he will start following up his thoughts with actions right away. He is saying to raid Macduff’s castle, then seize the town, and kill his wife, and anyone else unfortunate enough to stand in line for his inheritance. He does not want to lose his sense of purpose.

To add on, he is really only trying to prove that when he says he will do something he will indeed follow through with it.

9 (edited by paul.conlon 2012-04-02 15:17:55)

10. After Macduff discovers that his wife and children are dead he does not become immediately stricken. At first he continues to talk and ask questions then Malcom states “Take comfort. Let’s cure this awful grief by taking revenge on Macbeth." Macduff then becomes emotional and goes into shock saying “ All my pretty little children? Did you say all? Oh, that bird from hell! All of them? What, all my children and their mother dead in one fell swoop?”  Malcom continues to tell his to turn his grief into anger at Macbeth and fight stronger.

11. What the line “ The night is long that never finds the day” in a more comprehensible terminology means “ A new day will come at last. "  He is saying that the night has been long and it feels like tomorrow will never come.

MALCOLM

This tune goes manly.
Come, go we to the king. Our power is ready;
Our lack is nothing but our leave. Macbeth
Is ripe for shaking, and the powers above
Put on their instruments. Receive what cheer you may.
The night is long that never finds the day.

Another reference to foulness being hidden is given by Malcolm. Quote that line. To whom is Malcolm referring?

"This tyrant, whose sole name blisters our tongues, was once thought honest: you have loved him"
Malcolm is referring to Macbeth. Macbeth was once brave, kind, and honest now he is the serpent underneath. Foulness was hidden beneath Macbeth but now it is not.

3. When Macbeth asks if Banquo’s issue will ever reign, what is he shown?

After that Macbeth sees a baby being born and then a child saying "Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn. The power of man, for none of woman born shall harm Macbeth." Meaning that only someone born by c section can harm him; meaning Macduff.

4. "Tell how Macbeth’s words contradict or belie his actions with regard to the witches. These words repeat his statement in a previous scene. Locate it."

Macbeth says, "Infected be the air whereon they ride; and damn'd all those that trust them!"
Macbeth is talking about the three weird sisters here and he is saying that you shouldn't trust them, when in truth, he trusts the prophecies they tell him.

kpulyk wrote:

4. "Tell how Macbeth’s words contradict or belie his actions with regard to the witches. These words repeat his statement in a previous scene. Locate it."

Macbeth says, "Infected be the air whereon they ride; and damn'd all those that trust them!"
Macbeth is talking about the three weird sisters here and he is saying that you shouldn't trust them, when in truth, he trusts the prophecies they tell him.

In Act 2 Scene 1 Macbeth is talking to Banquo.
BANQUO:
All's well.
I dreamt last night of the three weird sisters:
To you they have show'd some truth.(25)
BANQUO:
All's well.
Last night, I dreamed about the three weird sisters.
They have shown some truth to you.
MACBETH:
I think not of them:
Yet, when we can entreat an hour to serve,
We would spend it in some words upon that business,
If you would grant the time.

Macbeth says he does not think of the three sisters, when he really does. To have trust in them he must have thought about them.

How does the witches’ rhyming couplet refrain add to the atmosphere? Why is the use of “double” appropriate to Macbeth?

The witches rhyme in this scene just to add to the darkness of Macbeth. Double referring to Macbeth means that he was already prophesied that he would become king without doing anything but he killed Duncan to become king which means he put in double the work then necessary.