Topic: Blogging Voice

from theblogmaven.com

theblogmaven.com wrote:

Find your blogging voice | The Blog Maven

To truly connect with your readers and build a community around your blog, you’ll need to do it with your own voice, your own style, in your own way…and with your readers in mind.

If you’ve been blogging for awhile, chances are, your writing has taken lots of twists and turns.  But now is the best time to refocus your writing and build a solid foundation for the long-term growth of your blog.

In this post, I’ll share how you can start blogging your passion with clarity, purpose, and your own blogging voice.

A Question for You

If you were blogging for just one person, who would it be?

Now, don’t say, “for myself!”  If you were honestly writing “just for you,” you wouldn’t be concerned about growing your blog, and you wouldn’t be reading my blog.

Gotcha.

So let’s say you’re writing for just one non-self person.  Who is she?

Take a minute and write it down.  No, you won’t be graded.  But this is an exercise in developing a mission for your blog.  Because once you have this “ideal reader” in mind, you’ll be able to come to your blog each day with a purpose, and you won’t waste so much time figuring out what you’re trying to say or what you want to sound like.  Here are a few questions to get you started:

Is your ideal reader male or female?  What age?  Give her a name. (yes, really)
What is your ideal reader’s age?  Marital status?  Does she have kids?
Does she have free time?  If so, what does she do with it?
What is this reader’s biggest challenge in life?
What are her goals and desires?
Are you starting to develop a picture here?  This process can take you from something generic like “My audience is women between 25 and 40 years old with kids” to “I know who I’m writing to.  I know what matters to her.  And here she is.”

When you know your one reader, you can write with her in mind.