1 (edited by flyon 2008-04-14 09:52:07)

Topic: Audio Podcasting

What do I use to make the podcast, can i work with someone, is it possible to download one from the internet?

Re: Audio Podcasting

flyon wrote:

What do I use to make the podcast, can i work with someone, is it possible to download one from the internet?

Start with a good script - written by you, of course. After that, employ anyone you like to participate in your podcast. I presume you'll return the favor and participate in their podcast.

Recording is simplest in Quicktime but Garageband would be better once you get your mind around what you are doing. iTunes is useful for encoding the final product before uploading to your blog.

A few(3-5) minutes is all I'd really like from each. Larger episodes are much more trouble to upload/download.

By garageband is that on the internet or at the bar at the bottom?

White eMac.

Ok. Are we allowed to use our acceptance stories or make a fresh new script?

flyon wrote:

Ok. Are we allowed to use our acceptance stories or make a fresh new script?

Yup.

So, I am planning on using a recorder on a mp3 to create the podcast but to get it onto the computer I would have to use a white Mac computer right? When it comes to the script, are we allowed to perform a assignment from the last symester? If we have quicktime and itunes on a computer at home, is that all we will need if we try to finish it after school?

sberg wrote:

When it comes to the script, are we allowed to perform a assignment from the last symester?

If you think your audience will enjoy it, do it.

sberg wrote:

to get it onto the computer

Any(well, not every) computer has the ability to record your voice to a digital file. Garageband adds bells and whistles, literally. Garageband is only available on a white eMac.  Every Mac has Quicktime, but Quicktime adds no bells and whistles. iTunes is simplest for converting the audio file for transit to the net.

Record in Quicktime for Mac or Win. Transfer/import your m4a file into iTunes. Convert it to mp3(Quicktime doesn't do mp3). Be certain to name it properly("8-dot-3"), enter your id3 tags(tile, author, etc).

The final filesize may be an obstacle when time to upload. iTunes can compress the mp3 file in a zillion ways, final file(s) should be as small as possible with a quality level as low as needed for your podcast. (If you don't need stereo, convert it to mono, etc). There is a filesize limit for uploads at [urel=http://iblog.stjschool.org]iblogs[/url], 500kb per file(might be 1.5MB but never more than 2MB per uploaded file). If you've created a lengthy masterpiece, chop it into "chunks 'o podcast".

Is it possible to make the audio podcast at home then e-mail you our stj- e-mail account? Or do we have to put it on here at school?

dkonieczny wrote:

Is it possible to make the audio podcast at home then e-mail you our stj- e-mail account? Or do we have to put it on here at school?

The Podcast is attached to your blog, it's files will be managed from your blog. Create the mp3 anywhere on the net, but the final file will be hosted by your blog.

So we can only do the audio podcast on the white Macs?

That makes more sense now that you have explained it to a farther detail.

jkochan wrote:

So we can only do the audio podcast on the white Macs?

"Do"?

15 (edited by crwilkinson 2008-06-09 18:42:06)

When we write our script, the idea can be anything right? I was wondering if I could make my Podcast on the Stanly Cup Finals? I thought I would ask about it before I start writing my script and see if that is right.

crwilkinson wrote:

When we write our script, the idea can be anything right? I was wondering if I could make my Podcast on the Stanly Cup Finals? I thought I would ask about before start writing my script and see if that is right.

Give'er.

Ok

18 (edited by crwilkinson 2008-06-09 19:07:13)

Exactly how do we write a script? I know what the topic is but I am unsure on how to write the script. I am wondering if I should right the script about the players or the teams or what? I know from before hand of what has been said in this topic in the forum that the podcast should only be 3-5 minutes so that means my script shout only take 3-5 minutes to read. Right?

19 (edited by jkochan 2008-06-10 09:03:20)

Can we only work on the audio podcasts on the white mac computers?
Or are we able to work on them with the computers we're using right now?

jkochan wrote:

Can we only work on the audio podcasts on the white mac computers?
Or are we able to work on them with the computers we're using right now?

Hmm, let me read from the top of this page

dsader wrote:
sberg wrote:

to get it onto the computer

Any(well, not every) computer has the ability to record your voice to a digital file. Garageband adds bells and whistles, literally. Garageband is only available on a white eMac.  Every Mac has Quicktime, but Quicktime adds no bells and whistles. iTunes is simplest for converting the audio file for transit to the net.

Record in Quicktime for Mac or Win. Transfer/import your m4a file into iTunes. Convert it to mp3(Quicktime doesn't do mp3). Be certain to name it properly("8-dot-3"), enter your id3 tags(tile, author, etc).

The final filesize may be an obstacle when time to upload. iTunes can compress the mp3 file in a zillion ways, final file(s) should be as small as possible with a quality level as low as needed for your podcast. (If you don't need stereo, convert it to mono, etc). There is a filesize limit for uploads at [urel=http://iblog.stjschool.org]iblogs[/url], 500kb per file(might be 1.5MB but never more than 2MB per uploaded file). If you've created a lengthy masterpiece, chop it into "chunks 'o podcast".

Garageband is only on the eMacs. But all 7 eMacs fell victim to the Capacitor Plague.

Check if the computer you want to record on has Quicktime/iTunes and you are good to go.

Once you have your audio piece in itunes go Itunes-prefrences-importing-import using-change to MP3 encoder. Then change setting to 128kbps. Right click your podcast and convert to MP3. Then find your saved Mp3 file in Finder- Home - music- Itunes, then keep dragging down until you find your Mp3. Drag on desktop then upload to blog.

It only uploaded on my blog when I used firefox.

I have finished my Podcast and the one thing that you need to do is use the firefox internet. If you follow all the steps or ask Dellany, Ben, Shelby or I you will get you podcast done before the end of this class.

You have to put your recording on to ITunes to change it from a movie to a recording or else it don't work. If you need help ask dillon, craig, brandon, ben, Shelby or dellany.

UPDATE: all new silver iMacs have Garageband/Quicktime/iTunes, built in microphones - and video/still camera. Everything an mp3 creator needs ... except a script.