Topic: Night by Elie Wiesel
1. Identify and discuss the different ways in which the theme of “night” is developed literally and metaphorically.
2. Explain how the memoir addresses themes related to witnessing, silence, and death.
3. Identify father-son relationships in the memoir and explain how and why they shift.
4. Identify the various “prophets” that appear in the memoir and explain how the prophets relate to truth.
5. Explain how the author delivers the memoir’s message through metaphor.
6. Describe and trace the evolution of Eliezer’s faith and his relationship with God.
7. Discuss how various characters experience a crisis of faith.
8. Identify and describe the transformation of men into beasts and explain the root causes behind these crises of humanity.
9. Identify the motifs of fire and smoke in the text and describe how they contribute to the memoir.
10. Identify the motifs of mirrors in the text and describe how they contribute to the memoir.