126 (edited by Sherwood10 2014-03-18 11:24:40)

Re: Characters

NEVER SHALL I FORGET that night , The first night in camp that turned my life into one long seven times sealed.
Never shall I forget that smoke.
Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under the silent sky.
Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live
Never shall I forget those moments that murdered my god and my soul and turned my dream to ashes .
Never shall I forget those things, even where I condemned to live long as God himself.
Never. Pg. 52

"Books no longeer have the power they once had" Pg. 11
Written words on paper dont have the power that use to intrigue people. Computers have taken over. times have changed

Eliezer's father: "He had become childlike: weak, frightened, vulnerable." (pg.123)

128 (edited by nathan.dyjur 2014-03-19 10:29:56)

page 117 Eliezer and his father. "Come, Father. It's better there. You'll be able to lie down. We'll take turns. I'll watch over you and you'll watch over me. We won't let each other fall asleep. We'll look after each other." Eliezer and his father have become equals, they are no longer father and son here, but now partners in survival. Although they watch each other to keep the other from falling asleep there is one question that neither them nor us can answer yes to. Are you sleeping?

Mrs. Shächter  " Jews, LOOK at the fire! Look at the flames!
As the train stopped this time we saw the flames rising from a tall chimeny into a black sky. pg 46

Eliezer: "One day when I was able to get up, I decided to look at myself in the mirror on the opposite wall. I had not seen myself since the ghetto. From the depths of the mirror, a corpse was contemplating me. The look in his eyes as he gazed at me has never left me." (pg.133)

Eliezer: "Work makes you free." (pg.58)

" The man interrogating me was an inmate. I could not see his face, but his voice was weary and warm"
How old are you?
Fifteen..
No. you're eighteen!
But I'm not, Im 15
Fool listen to what I say
pg 48

"Bite your lips, little brother... don't cry. Keep your anger, your hate, for another day, for later. The day will come but not now... wait. Cleanch your teeth and wait..." pg 72
French girl's advice to Eliezer. A spark of hope in a tragic tale