1 (edited by kdkrys 2009-04-23 21:42:33)

Topic: Amazon Showcase Widget

I was Surfing the web on my couch with the T.V. on and I was writting my poem, when I went to my blog page I noticed that the sidbar was empty. I went to investigate and at the top of the plugin page in red boardering read: "The plugin amazon-showcase-wordpress-widget/AmazonShowcase.php has been deactivated due to an error: Plugin file does not exist." What is wrong?

Re: Amazon Showcase Widget

The Showcase Plugin is being changed. I've disabled the current widget so as to preserve the id's already entered while I figure out how to roll out final changes to the new plugin. I was fiddling last week and forgot to turn it back on again, my bad.

Anyway, behind the scenes the old plugin was causing significant page delays at times as every id linked directly to the amazon page and was rebuilt with every page load - an inefficient workflow at best and the cause of many page load errors or "timeouts"(blank headers and no sidebars at all).

The new incarnation will cache ids, pics, and author details in your blog's database and will not "phone home" to amazon with every page load - very slick in my tests - and no page load errors.

A "reading list" widget is very much one of my favorites, but it is just not ready for "prime time". Anything that depends on "third party" sites, such as amazon, takes a bit to figure out. And sometimes when I think I've got it just right, amazon changes and I'm back to square one.

I've tried to code other tie-ins to amazon's database in the last few years(aka microcontent?) and have never got it "just right." But I keep on trying. Amazon is pretty amazing.

I've enabled both versions of the Amazon Showcase, 1.3 and 2.0. I'll leave them both in the plugins folder to give users a chance to "migrate" their amazon book id numbers to the new widgety goodness.

dsader wrote:

I've enabled both versions of the Amazon Showcase, 1.3 and 2.0. I'll leave them both in the plugins folder to give users a chance to "migrate" their amazon book id numbers to the new widgety goodness.

Dillon figured out that both widgets collide if active at the same time.

Oh well. Leading edge is the bleeding edge at times.

5 (edited by dlavoie 2009-05-04 10:38:21)

I have figured out how to get your books I've, reading, etc., thanks to the help of Mr. Sader.
1. You have to go to the plugin page and activate Amazon showcase # 2
2. You go to your settings tab and click on the link: Amazon Showcase 2
3. You click on "add new showcase" then click on where it says "click to toggle options".
4. You have to go back to Amazon.ca and find your codes again. >_>
5. You could open a new tab and have amazon open to make things easier.
6. On your showcase, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and clock add new item. You then paste your ISBN 10 codes.
7. After you are finished, you save your new showcase.
8. Now you go to your widget page and find your new showcase, usually located at the bottom of the page.
9. With that, enjoy. ^_^

I was trying to make my page look good again by putting the book I have read back up and prove to people that I can read. But in my plugin page there is only an amazon 2 not an amazon 1 and I can't even copy my old numbers from the "old" plugin because it is not there. After activating the plugin I go to the widget page and it is not there at all. What is wrong?

Ok thanks dlavoie it works way better now. Although the Heading of my widget is Book/'s I have read and I can't get the / to go away no matter how many times I retype it and save the changes. Any advice?

Yeah, I had this similar problem. The only advice that I can give you for this is to change the title so it doesn't have the apostrophe ( ' ).

Ok Thanks

kdkrys wrote:

Ok thanks dlavoie it works way better now. Although the Heading of my widget is Book/'s I have read and I can't get the / to go away no matter how many times I retype it and save the changes. Any advice?

Short story, problem solved.

But you had to know I'd share the longer story, too...

Apostrophes are very important characters in PHP code(as every other piece of punctuation on the keyboard). Apostrophes (and Quotes) in PHP are like parentheses in math when ordering operations. Think about the problem in algebra if an extra parenthesis "(" appeared every now and again.

When saving an apostrophe a backslash, "\", is saved before it to "escape" it. PHP ignores everything attached to a backslash. However, when showing(echo) a saved value in the browser, the code must also "stripslash" to output just the apostrophe.

Anyway, the "\" slashes are now added and removed automagically.

Example

<?php
$title = "O\'reilly\'s List";

// Outputs: O'reilly's List
echo stripslashes($title);
?>

I am having trouble with the DVD Showcase Widget. I have the DVD picked out but I cannot locate the ISBN-10 Code. Any suggestions?

tstafford wrote:

I am having trouble with the DVD Showcase Widget. I have the DVD picked out but I cannot locate the ISBN-10 Code. Any suggestions?

Try the ASIN if no ISBN-10.

Thanks! That worked great! smile

On the previous Amazon Showcase, I was given a different code to make the appearance better. I was wondering if there is another code for Amazon Showcase 2, or do I jsut leave the default code?

Topic closed

New thread for Amazon Showcase 2.1