1 (edited by saige.swanson 2017-11-02 05:35:43)

Topic: This Lullaby- Sarah Dessen

I just started this book today. I started it because I recently have read a few books by the same author I liked the books so i continued to pick books written by Sarah Dessen. Remy  is a teenage girl who just graduated. Instead of enjoying her first few weeks of summer holidays, she is stuck planning her mothers wedding. This is her mother's 5th wedding. Remy claims her mother doesn't love the people she marries, Remy claims her mother more so marries out of boredom. The guy her mother is marrying is a salesmen named Don. Don sells Toyota's and that is how he met Remy's mom, she bought a brand new model. This will be Don's first marriage and according to Remy, Don loves her mom but Remy's mom only marries, to marry.

2 (edited by saige.swanson 2017-11-02 05:42:00)

Re: This Lullaby- Sarah Dessen

Remy is out hanging with her friends after school has ended. They begin to reflect on all their memories and how it feels to be done high school. They sit and discuss the past and their reflection seems as if it whizzed by. They all hoped for and hoped for high school to end. For them to go see the world. To be done with the feeling of "high school". The feeling of being a teenager having to go. Now that their high school years were over they felt like they were missing something. They felt like it just ended and they felt lost. I feel like I am told this over and over again. I feel as people tell me to live my life to the fullest. That high school is short. I don't know if it feels like its short because each day I am remembering the day to day assignments I hand in. I hope I don't feel Like Remy and her friends do when I am done high school.

3 (edited by saige.swanson 2017-11-02 05:46:36)

Remy and two of her friends, Jess and Chloe, sit at their "special spot" . Their spot is located in the middle of no where of a pasture that Chloe's dad owns. There is a trampoline located in the middle and they sit and talk there for a bit. Before the girls had met up at a gas station. Jess and Chloe were waiting there for Remy and their other friend, Lissa. They got some snacks and enjoyed themselves. Lissa left to see her boyfriend the other three went for a drive to their favorite spot. The  girls have a game where they throw their empty drink cup out the window and swish it in the garbage. The one friend, Jess, is really good at it and swishes it every time. The bond between these girls is the kind of bond my friends and I have. I like how the author shows their support for one another.

4 (edited by saige.swanson 2017-11-02 05:48:42)

The night is growing old and the four girls meet up again. They all grab their fake ID's and head for the bar. The girls grab a drink and Lissa disappears with her boyfriend. The three girls walk in, and Jess goes to grab a table. Remy has decided she is going to break up with her boyfriend. She feels as if its a hassle to be in this relationship together. She told her friends what she was planning to do, and they all knew that he hadn't done anything wrong he just wasn't up to Remy's standards. Remy is walking through the crowd back to her table with her drinks in had when a guy she recognizes walks up to her. This guy had recently hit on her and asked for her number. Remy had gotten annoyed and of course turned him down. The guys name was Dexter. Dexter walked up and followed Remy to her table and sat down uninvited. They soon learned he was part of the band and he got up and left his drink. A few minuets late Remy's boyfriend sits down grabs a drink off the table, which he thinks is Remy's. The drink was actually Dexter's but Remy didn't care, because it annoyed her how her boyfriend always grabbed her stuff acting like it was his.

5 (edited by saige.swanson 2017-11-02 05:51:20)

Remy and her boyfriend had left the bar and went to his house. They lay on his bed and talked for a bit. Remy finally says she has to tell him something and his phone rings and he answers it leaving to the bathroom. Remy is frustrated, but just lays on his bed running her fingers along the side rehearsing how she is going to end their relationship. He fingers softly tickled the side of the bed when she feels something. She pulls it up and it's another woman's piece of clothing, certainly not hers.  "I guess this is how I am going to end things" she says to herself as her boyfriend walks in. She then asks him why he cheated and he can't answer. Remy is furious and leaves in a hustle. Of course she wanted to end their relationship, but she didn't want to be cheated on! Remy walks herself back to the bar alone.

Remy shuffles up to the bar and finds Jess sitting in the car. She walks over to them and finds Lissa crying in the back seat. Lissa's boyfriend had apparently broke up with her and she was hysterical. She balled her eyes out trying to explain how she still loved him. He had been he first and only really serious relationship, and they had lasted a long time. Lissa sobbed and sniffled on Remy while she tried to comfort her. Remy hoped in the passenger seat and the three of them took off. They took a drive and wound up driving through a parking lot. Remy spots Lissa's ex boyfriend. Jess tells Lissa to duck her head down and they creep their car slowly through the parking lot. Remy picks up her nearly empty pop from before and swished the container around. Remy glances at Jess with a question look and Jess nods her head reassuringly. Jess drives the car at the perfect speed right behind him and Remy takes her shot. She pushes the drink forward with the flick of her wrist, and SLASH! the drink explodes on the back of his head.

Remy works at a salon. She works the front desk and answers calls and keeps files. Lola the manager is a nice but loud girl. Remy doesn't mind working for her. Remy glaces out the window and sees a big van pull up and she sighs to herself. She starts to the its someone trying to sell her something and she gets prepared. she sees a bunch of boys jump out and talk to each other like they are discussing a plan. one boy with red hair walks over to the shop. "Oh great" Remy thinks to herself. The boy walks in and saunters up to the front desk. He then shockingly says he needs a job. Remy looks him up and down and rolls her eyes. "He can't work here for goodness sake he is wearing a clip on tie" she thinks to herself. she tells him that she's sorry but they aren't hiring. He keeps begging and insists on just filling out a resume. Annoyed, Remy hands him one. Lola walks out looks at the boy and asks "can I help you?" "No" he replies, " I am filling out a resume." Lola frowns and looks at Remy, Remy nods and rolls her eyes. Lola then asks if he has ever cut hair, painted nails or done anything to do with a salon. He answers no, and Lola explains that he can't work here. The boy says him and his band mates are all just trying to get jobs. Lola then promises to help him get a job at a shop nearby.

Remy is still preparing for her mothers wedding and the rehearsal dinner. Remy walks in the find her mother on the phone having a fit. Jennifer-anne is sitting on the couch. Jennifer is Remy's brothers girlfriend. Remy doesn't like Jennifer, she is so prim, proper and annoying. Remy asks what is wrong and Jennifer says that the limo isn't coming on time. Remy looks at her mom and says she will handle it. Her mom is flustered and hands her the phone. Remy takes they phone calmly and asks what is wrong. The Limo owner says that the limo won't arrive on time. One limo is being used and the other is stuck in traffic. They make an arrangement for them to be picked up in a different Vehicle. Remy then goes upstairs to get ready, and drifts off to sleep on the bed.

It's finally the wedding. Remy is seated at a table with her friends, her brother Christopher, and his girlfriend. The night is getting older and people are having fun. Remy isn't particularly enjoying herself though. Jennifer anne gets fed up with Remy and her friends, so Christopher and Jennifer move to a different table. Chloe then finds herself flirting with one of the nephews of the groom. Chloe all flirty with a little buzz doesn't pay much attention to anyone else. Jess hasn't showed up yet, but Lissa is hitting the drinks hard. When Jess walks in Remy waves her down. Jess walks through the crowd to their table to find a wasted Lissa. They both know they are on babysitting their friend duty tonight. They take a crying half asleep Lissa to the bathroom. "I just love weddings" Jess says sarcastically, and Remy replies with a sarcastic " me too." Lissa missing the sarcasim says she does and just wants to find love. The other two roll their eyes and pat Lissa's back.

Its nearing three in the morning and Remy puts Lissa into a cab. The guests have either already left, or leaving. The one part of the wedding that Remy hadn't planned was the music. Don, the groom had said he would. The band shows up and it turns out to be Dexter's band! They don't speak all night at the wedding, which is a good thing for Remy. The band in packing up and Remy listens to two of them talk. They talk back and forth sounding frustrated. They complain how they always do the work packing up and that the other two don't help out. They get ready to go and sit there and wait. The one guy says "I'll give them two minuets if they aren't out here I'm leaving them." He then honks the horn and one guy runs out, but no dexter. They honk again and decide to leave. Remy walks into the building ready to leave when someone says "They already left" she looks to find Dexter. He tells her that Christopher and Jennifer left and that he and his friends would take her home. She tells him his friends left too. Dexter asks if they can share a cab and Remy says no. Jumping in a cab Remy heads home.