1 (edited by kaiden.chase 2018-01-15 11:05:06)

Topic: NHL Enforcers - Arpon Basu

Hockey is an astonishing game that is loved all over the world. When playing puck there is a lot of contact that leads to angry and this then leads to fighting. Contrary to popular belief, fights are not always done through anger and hate for your opponent. Fights are usually fought because your coach told you to pump up your team or defend a player on your team. Studies show that being an enforcer can to lead to depression and substance abuse. Would you be able to handle the pain and consequences of being an enforcer?

2 (edited by kaiden.chase 2018-01-15 11:06:53)

Re: NHL Enforcers - Arpon Basu

Eddie Shore was one of the influential defencemen to ever step foot on a sheet of ice. Shore roamed the ice ready for everyone and anything. In his rookie season, he got into a violent scrap with his veteran teammate, Billy Coutu. The fight got so crazy that Eddie's ear was nearly severed, and he would wind up looking for a doctor all over Boston that would just sew it back on instead of amputating it.

3 (edited by kaiden.chase 2018-01-15 11:08:07)

Shore scored 12 goals his rookie season which an unprecedented number for an NHL defencemen at the time, he also racked up a total of 130 minutes in penalties (2nd most in the league). Shores toughness was not only found not only in the way he defended himself with his fists and his stick. He would routinely play up to 55 minutes during a 60-minute contest. Shore would then continue his dominance on the ice and lead the Boston Bruins to their first Stanley Cup.

Back then the enforcer had just started becoming a thing. Many people argue that the NHL's first enforcer was used in the early 1960s when Montreal Canadiens general manager Frank Selke decided he needed someone to watch over his franchise player, Jean Beliveau. Selke found that man in John Ferguson, a brawler from the West Coast who prided himself on being the meanest and nastiest player on the ice.

John Ferguson was believed to be the key to winning 5 Stanley Cups. Even though the Habs had a bunch of stars many people believe John was the key to the whole thing. John didn't just have a tough life on ice. "I had to do everything on my own," says Ferguson. "I'd come home and get potatoes ready and our dinner ready, then she'd come home from work, and that's how we grew up together. Despite all the responsibilities he still stayed in sports and maintained good grades. Who you be able to do what he did to get him to the NHL?

Ferguson was in fact standing at the top of the leaderboard in scoring when his gruesome thumb injury happened. "I knocked him down and went to go punch him again, but he put his skate up and I punched right through his skate," Ferguson recalls. "My thumb was hanging off by a piece of skin". Would you be able to come back from such a gruesome injury?