Re: Read Theory

I read about kites. Kites can be made out of many different things. Kites you buy at the store are usually made of nylon or cotton. But you can make a kite at home from a piece of sturdy paper or even a plastic garbage bag.

I read about underground railways. The world’s oldest metro system is the London Underground. The London Underground was built in 1890. It serves 270 stations and has 402 kilometers of track.

I read about thorns. Some plants have thorns. Thorns are very sharp. Plants can have thorns on their stems or their leaves. Thorns help protect plants from animals. Animals do not want to eat plants that will scratch them.

I read about practice. They say that practice makes perfect. If you want to be a great piano player, you must practice playing piano. If you want to be a great chef, you must practice cooking. If you want to be a baseball star, you must practice playing baseball.

I read about why songs get stuck in your head.  A song stuck in your head is called an "earworm." This is a song that replays on a loop in your head. A study shows that earworms are quite common, but the reason for them is still a mystery.

I read about troopers. We will be collecting candidate signs from front yards on Wednesday, November 5—the day after the election. The troop will congregate after school at 3:30 p.m. in the parking lot of Woodland Elementary School. From there, parent drivers will transport four groups of seven members each throughout various neighborhoods to retrieve the signs.

I read about Drizzle. Drizzle is light rain. Drizzle raindrops are extremely small. They are smaller than half a millimeter in diameter—the size of the tip of a needle. Drops this small don't really even fall to the ground. Instead, they float. They get blown around by the wind. Sometimes they group together and this makes them heavy. In this case, they do fall to the ground. But they don't stay there for long.

I read about building a nest. Most people think bird nests are made of sticks. That's mostly true. But lots of other things can show up in a bird’s nest, too. Birds use twigs, grass, string, twine, trash, fur, and even human hair to build their nests.

I read about picky eating. My parents say I am a picky eater. There are many foods I do not like.I do not like peppers. I do not like peas. I do not like ketchup. I do not like carrots.I do not like berries. I do not like bacon. My parents say I will start to like these foods if I keep trying them. I hope they are right.

35 (edited by almccullough 2018-03-29 13:40:34)

I read about dust devils. Have you ever seen a dust devil? A dust devil looks like a tornado. It is tall and thin. It is made of air. It swirls around. But there is one important difference between a dust devil and a tornado. A tornado forms during stormy or cloudy weather.

36 (edited by almccullough 2018-03-29 13:42:16)

I read about meeting someone new.As you pass through life, you'll meet new people. Most times, it's best just to be yourself. But other times, when you're interviewing for a job, for example, it's best to be your best self. When meeting someone new at a job interview, there are a few simple things you can do to ensure you present your best self: give a firm handshake, make good eye contact, and use a clear, strong voice. And don't forget to smile!

I read about the leaning town of Pisa.The Leaning Tower of Pisa is a famous building in Italy. The Tower is famous because it tilts to one side. The tower began to tilt during its construction in the 1200s. In the following decades, the tilt only got worse. The builders of the tower came up with different ideas to explain this. In the end, they concluded that the ground the tower sat on was too soft and caused the building to sink on one side.

I read about the reasons wolves howl. Do wolves really howl at the moon? Probably not. Wolves tip their heads back when they howl. This makes it look like they are howling at the moon, but they are actually howling at each other. Wolves howl to communicate with each other. Sometimes they howl to tell each other where they are. Sometimes they howl to warn other wolves to stay away.

I read about sheeps .New Zealand, one of the most beautiful countries in the world, is home to almost five million people. That may sound like a lot. But it's actually not compared to other countries with the same amount of land.=

I read about the last shuttle. The last space shuttle launched from the United States on July 8, 2011. The U.S. will fly no more space shuttles. The American Space Shuttle program has ended indefinitely.his may come as a surprise. After all, how can humans explore space without a space shuttle.

I read about citrus fruits.Citrus fruits have a sour taste. Lemons are citrus fruits. Limes are citrus fruits. Oranges are citrus fruits. But there are even more kinds. Have you ever heard of the pomelo.

I read about en pointe. I'm a ballet dancer. Sometimes I dance en pointe. This means that I dance on the very tips of my toes. You need years of training to become strong enough to do this. It also requires special pointe shoes.

I read about Jesse Owens. Jesse Owens was a track and field star. He won four gold medals in the 1936 Olympics. Today, there is an award named after him. The Jesse Owens Award is given to the best track and field athlete every year.

I read about safe passwords. You must use safe passwords on the internet. Do not use easy things like "12345" or "password." Do not use your name. Safe passwords are long and hard to guess. Safe passwords use both numbers and letters.

I read about Japanese writings. The Japanese language has three writing systems. The first one is called Hiragana. The second one is called Katakana. The third one is called Kanji. The first two are like alphabets. In them, each symbol stands for a certain sound. But the third one, Kanji, is very different. Kanji symbols stand for whole words. There are many thousands of them.

I read out for a walk. It was a hot summer day. Lion was out for a walk. He was happy. He started to sing. Just then, he saw Snake. He stopped."Why, hello there Snake," said Lion. "How are you on this fine day?"Snake hissed. "I am scared," he said."Well, just hide under a rock," said Lion.Snake hid under a rock. "That's better," he said. "Thank you."Lion continued his walk. He started to sing again.

I read about Formula 1. Formula One (F1) race cars are the fastest in the world. Their powerful engines push them to speeds of over 220 miles per hour (360 km/h). Powerful engines help F1 cars go fast. But that's not what makes them so fast around the track. It's the aerodynamics, not the engine, that keeps lap times low. Aerodynamics is the study of air flow. The way air flows over an F1 car is very important. Making the air flow better over the car is the best way to make the car go faster.

I read about Mekong Cruise. they boarded the boat in Chiang Rai. A woman named Anh sat on the bow and paddled. We moved slowly down a narrow canal that led out to the Mekong River. We woke the next day in Huay Xay. From there we boarded a larger boat and moved east. We passed by hundreds of Buddhist monks dressed in bright orange robes.