1 (edited by kassidyfehr 2018-09-19 09:35:01)

Topic: I Was Here by Gayle Forman

At the beginning of the fiction book “I Was Here” the main character Cody, who is the narrator, is struggling with the death of her best friend, Meg. Meg had drank a rare bottle of industrial-strength cleaner and had only sent an email to her parents and Cody saying that she had taken her life to end her own pain but she knew it would cause them pain and she was sorry for that and telling them it was not their fault. When reading this book I could really tell that Cody was getting fed up with all the memorial services, vigils, and prayer circles to the point where she didn't even want to go anymore because they were pointless because nothing was going to bring Meg back or even change anything for that matter. She especially thought the pray circles and other religious ceremonies were pointless because Meg couldn't even have a proper ceremony in the church nor be buried in the catholic graveyard because she had commit a sin by taking her own life.  After reading the first two and a half chapters I am really starting to take an interest in this book. I have previously read Gayle Forman’s books before and I have really taken a liking to her writing.

Re: I Was Here by Gayle Forman

Today I picked up on reading the end of chapter 3 and the beginning of chapter 4 of the book the “I Was Here” by Gayle Forman. In this part of the book the Megs parents asked Cody if she wanted to stay and talk for a little bit after a supper that they had. Cody was scared that they were going to ask if she knew if Meg was thinking that way or planning to make her own life and had mentioned it. Meg did not mention it to Cody but Cody felt embarrassed and shameful because in the book she said she doesn't know what would be worse if she did know and didn't tell anyone or the fact that they grew up together and knew everything about each other and she had no clue about this. That is not what Megs parents wanted to ask Cody though, they wanted to ask her if she would go to Megs dorm room and bring back all of the important things she had there. Cody knew this was going to be hard for her but she knew it would be even harder for Meg’s parents, so she got a bus ticket and started heading to the University of Washington.

Today I read chapter 4 of the book “I Was Here” by Gayle Forman, in this chapter Cody went to Megs dorm room to get all of the stuff that he thought was of importance. While she was there people kept telling her that it was so surprising what happened to Meg and she kept getting mad about it because surprising is the word that she thinks is best suited for what happened to Meg. When Cody had got to the dorm room she walked up to Megs door and there was a picture of someone holding a revolver to their head which was not quite what he was expecting her roommates to put up on her door. The first night she was there she stayed up till five in the morning reading is a coffee shop, she waited until the library was open at seven and found a corner to sleep in for a couple hours because she didn't know where to stay. The second day is the day where she actually cleaned Meg's room when she opened the door and looked around it looked pretty messy but most of her stuff was already packed up. The last thing that happened in the chapter was Cody found out that Meg had been keeping a secret that she had found 2 kittens on the street and had taken them in. Megs roommates wanted nothing to do with they kittens because they brought back too many memories. Cody had no idea what to do with the kittens because she knew that there was no way that she could bring them home. Meg’s roommates said to take them to the adoption center but Cody needed to get rid of these kittens in the time span of a day and taking them to the adoption center would be a long process because you have to make an appointment first.

Yesterday I started reading chapter five of the book "I Was Here". In the beginning of this chapter Cody is trying to rid of the kittens and it is becoming quite a challenge for her because she has taken them to 3 different animal shelters and none of them took the kittens. The first and second ones were full and the third one required an application of the cats vet records. After that Megs roommate, Richard, suggested that they just go to a club to relax. At first Cody did not want to go but the club there was one of the places Meg and Cody wanted to go to after Meg moved to Washington for collage, and Cody really was excited to go there will Meg so she figured she’d go check it out. They left the kittens in the car to go to the club and when they got there Richard said to Cody “That's Ben McCallister” and Richard pointed to the guitar player. Cody brings up how Meg was obsessed with Ben, and Cody was almost positive that they made physical contact. Cody did not like Ben because he was a huge player and Meg wasn't really into that many boys so she wondered why Ben? Then after he was done performing Cody walked up to him and was about to say something when he turned around and said “I saw you out there” then he used a cheesy line and all Cody could think about was if this was how he got Meg, if he used the same line. That is as far as I read in chapter five and I find that this book has a lot of new plots and beginnings coming into it but so far I am really enjoying it.

After that part of chapter 5 things kind of escalated because Cody ended up bringing up Megs name to Ben because she couldn't help herself and Ben got very confused and started asking who Cody was but a couple seconds later Megs roommate Richard came and tapped Cody's shoulder and told her that he had to get up early so they better get going. That night Cody slept on the couch in Megs old dorm and woke up to Megs two kittens sleeping on her chest and face, the kittens had really grown a liking to Cody. Cody decided to call her mom Tricia and ask if she could bring home the kittens, and Tricia said “Forget it, Cody. I raised you for eighteen years. I’m not talking on any more helpless creatures.” Then the book goes in to how Cody disagreed with that because she was basically raised herself with the help of Meg’s family of course. In the book “I Was Here” Cody is not very close with her mom they don’t do much of anything together. Meg’s parents had always treated Cody like a second daughter they taught her how to drive, they took her to the doctors for her strep throat and her tonsils. Cody's mom works as a bartender and she is an alcoholic. Cody doesn’t even call her mother mom she just calls her by her first name, Tricia. Anyways after Cody was done on the phone Meg’s roommates Richard and Alice suggested that they put up flyers for the kittens. They decided that it would be easiest to use Megs laptop to take pictures of the kittens because it has a built in camera.

Today I continued reading chapter 6 of the book “I Was Here” by Gayle Forman. Cody had taken Meg’s laptop out of one of the boxes and when she went on it had gotten a picture of the kittens together for the flyer, but then she got very curious to see if Meg had sent an email right before she died to anyone other than herself and Meg’s parents. When she first opened Meg’s email there was a couple of “Meg, we miss you” emails, there was also one telling her that rot in hell because suicide is a sin but Cody deleted that one. Meg’s brother, Scottie, did not get Megs suicide note email but the week that Meg died she did send an email to him saying “Hey, Runtmeyer, I love you. Always.” Cody realized that there was a big six week gap of the emails missing all the ones from med January to February were not there. She was about to shut the computer down but then she said something that Meg had sent to bigbadben@podmail.com a few days before she died. Cody decided to open it and there Meg had typed “You don’t have to worry about me anymore.” Cody then went to her inbox and searched up emails from Ben’s account. They started all the way back n the fall mostly just normal conversation and Ben trying to flirt with Meg, but Cody can only see Bens side of the conversation not Meg’s. Then all of a sudden there was a change of tone like discomfort because there were things like “It’s cool. We're still friends.” and stuff like that.

Today I finished reading chapter 6 and read both chapters 7 and 8 of the book “I Was Here” by Gayle Forman. At the end of chapter 6 Cody decides to message Ben off Meg’s account about him coming to get his shirt back but she adds a rude tone to her message. When Ben shows up they end up having a long talk and then the next day he comes back and Cody gets very confused on why he would come back because when he was there the day before they were fighting and yelling at each other because he thought that it was very messed up to be going through a dead girls emails and he also thought it was very immature of her to message him off Meg’s account saying what she did.

When Ben came back he alpologised to Meg and Meg apologised to him. After she explained to Ben why she was going through Megs emails she told him about the big six week gap in here emails where it was like everything had been completely deleted from there. Ben let Meg log into his account she she could read all of the stuff they sent to each other over that period. Mainly all there was were Meg writing long paragraphs about her like meanwhile Ben would just send back like less than 5 word replies because he was trying to distance himself from her. The  they start talking about what life is like for Ben and his personal life and stuff like that but eventually they come to an agreement that Ben will take the kittens and they will go to his mother's house. The next morning Cody was getting all of her stuff together to go home and Ben came over to pick up the kittens. Ben asked her where she was going and and said the bus station so he gave her a ride there. Cody’s bus broke down with a flat tire so it wasn’t until after midnight when see got home. The next day after she was done work (she cleans houses) she decided to take a couple bags over to the Garcias (Meg’s family). So Cody pulled out Meg’s very expensive laptop, that her parents are still paying for, to give to her parents and they shake their heads and say “We’ve discussed it, we want you to have it.” Cody feels bad taking it but then after she had already got home she realized maybe they weren't doing a favor for her but she was doing a favour for them by taking it.

I now just finished reading chapter 11 of the book I Was Here by Gayle Forman, this chapter was only like 4 pages so it went by pretty quickly. At the beginning of this chapter the doorbell at Cody's house rung and when she opened the door Scottie, Meg’s little brother, was there standing on the porch. When Cody was at Meg's house the other day she told Scottie that he should come over sometime so she could kick his butt in some online video games on Megs old computer. So of course she let Scottie in and they fired up the computer, but when Scottie goes to search up games it doesn't work so then Cody told him that they don’t actually have internet. Then they decide to just find a game that was already downloaded on the computer but they remember that Meg hated video games so the only game downloaded was solitaire because that came with the computer, but they couldn’t play that cause its a 1 person game.  Then Scottie asks “Is this what she sent the note from?” Cody doesn't answer because Scottie is only ten and she thinks it unhealthy for him to talk about stuff like that. So she shuts the computer and Scottie says “please Cody no one ever tells me anything.” so she answer with a yes and Scottie says “can I see it”. Then he says “I know everyone wants to protect my innocence and stuff, but my sister swallowed poison. It's kinda too late.” So Cody decided to show him the email Meg sent out. Once he was done reading it he mentioned how it was weird that she said “the decision was my own to make” because Scottie brought up how when they would get in trouble and Meg would try and get Scottie out of trouble she would says something like “Scottie had nothing to do with it, it was my own decision.” it was like how she protected Scottie, so by putting that in her letter its almost like shes protecting someone… but who?

10 (edited by kassidyfehr 2018-10-23 13:44:29)

Today I started reading chapter 12 of the book “I Was Here” by Gayle Forman. At the beginning of this chapter it starts off with Cody going through Megs emails again still trying to figure out why she deleted all of her sent emails from that 6 week time period. She starts to wonder if she had maybe deleted other things that Cody had no clue about or if there was a way to get those deleted emails back or if they were gone for good. Then she remembers about Harry Kang, one of Meg's roommates that Cody barely saw while she was down, studied in computers. So maybe he could help find those missing emails. Alice, megs roommate, had wrote her number down on a scrap piece of paper and gave it to Cody incase she ever needed anything so Cody called Alice but there was no answer, so she left a message asking for Harry to call her. Early the next morning Cody's phone rang and it was Harry so she asked if he could help her find some deleted emails on a computer. Harry was hesitant about helping Cody, but since it could maybe reveal something big about Meg's suicide he decided to help her.

Today I continued on reading chapter 12 of my book “I Was Here” by Gayle Forman. Where I left off Cody was on the phone with Megs roommate, Harry Kang, and he decided he was going to try and help her with Megs deleted emails. Cody told Harry about how there was a folder in the computer's trash that won’t open and when she tries she gets the encryption message. Harry tried to tell Cody different things that might work but none do the folder still remains encrypted. Then Harry says that Cody can send the computer down and he might be able to open the folder so Cody takes the computer down to the drugstore that has a shipping outlet at the back of it and she find out that it is going to cost her over 80 dollars to get the computer to Harry. Then she thinks to herself that's the same amount as a bus ticket and she has so extra cash from working some extra shifts so she decides to just take it down to Tacoma herself, also that way she'll get the answers faster. She asks Alice if she can crash at their place and of course Alice is okay with it, she is also kind of excited because Alice really likes Cody and she likes hanging out with her. Cody also tells Harry that shes coming and he says he’ll look at the computer right away.