Topic: Wonder

Today when I read the story was talking about August's parents arguing on whether or not to send him to middle school they were saying stuff like "Don't make him do anything he doesn't want to do."  I understand that it can be hard to go to new places with new people and doing things you're not used to doing. It's like last summer when I went to a hockey camp in Edmonton on my own, I  was used to taking one friend with me but this year I didn't. It was hard to put myself out there and have new people be faster or better than me, I even think feeling so uncomfortable made it hard to play my best. Back to the book, I think even though it maybe be hard for August to fit in or feel comfortable he would eventually get used to it and it will be better, I think school would be good for August. I eventually got used to going to hockey school alone.

Re: Wonder

I just started reading wonder today, so far I am really enjoying it. I have already watched the movie however, it is very entertaining to point out the differences between the two. The book has started off with the main character " August" is a ten year old boy who is not exactly normal, he has had multiple surgeries that help him survive, the surgeries have left his face highly disfigured. August  starts by introducing us to his family an d the very few friends he has. We are told that August has never gone to real school, and is planning to go for his first year of middle school, witch means the book will explain what school is like for August.

Today when reading August got a tour of the school, three kids were there to give it to him. The kids were sort of rude to August asking him about his face. August handled it well. I know it was rude but I understand why they are confused about his face. This remnds me of lets say your at all mall and you see someone in a wheel cahir you can't help but wonder what happend or help but look at them.

When I read Wonder today there was one part right at the start when Via (August's older sister) asks her parents if she can walk August to his first day of school. I have no idea why but this reminded me of my brother and I, I think why I was reminded is because my brother doesn't exactly fit in with other kids and I have that duty to protect him, it's like I would feel better if I knew he got somwhere safe. I know it isn't a big thing in the book but it really spoke to me in a way I wasn't expecting it to. Later in the book August goes to homeroom where the desks are placed in two rows of a u-like shape when august comes in he sits at the back directly in the middle, to try and avoid anyone seeing him. I remeber when I had a bad hair day I would do this kind of silly stuff to avoid attention, so I understand where he is coming from but in the end it seems silly.

Today the book continued with August's day at school At lunch he started off by sitting alone at a table when he noticed girls whispering and looking at him, august ignored this but when a girl from the table named Summer came over to sit with him he was suprised but she introduced herself and they ended up becoming friends. After awhile of sitting with August the girls from the table got mad at Summer for not sitting with them, however Summer didn't care because August was nicer anyways. I like this part because I like being friend with all sorts of people in every type of group, my best friend might not like it but once you go outside of your friend group you can meet alot of cool people. Another part of the story I like is when the english teacher came up with a precept  ' when given the choice of being right or being kind, choose kind', I just like the message that portrays. Near the end of wwhat I read august woulndn't let his mom carry his backpack andeven said that he was mad at his mom and dhe didn't know why but this reminded me of going to my first day of school at Jr. Robson when I went from letting my parents pick and drop me off to riding the bus, and letting them walk me in to, not letting them wave goodbye. Yes I feel bad but I was embarresed and wanted to look grown up but I need toremember that I would come crying to them if I needed something.

today was holloween and August was talking about why he likes halloween so much he said its beacuse he can pretend to be someone else and i thought about this quite a bit and it really does make sense  there are days I want to stay and bed and wish i could be living someone elses life but when I think about it more everyone has problems to deal with and they may look like they are handling their problems well but they may not be you don't know. Everyone has there own idea of a problem so it's hard to say someone may think being five minutes late to school is a huge deal but to someone else one of their parents being passed out on the couch unable to drive them to school is normal.

When I left off reading there was a page that divided the book and it said "Via" witch is August's older sister this divider switched the prespective of witch the story is being told to Via's witch I thought was kinda cool. In Via's part she mentions how she is used to not getting all the attention because of Aggies special need, she speaks out on the fact that lot's of time at school is she is having trouble with something she has to teach it to herself and about her parents missing her soccer games for Auggie's doctors appointments. I can realate to this very well becuse my younger brother has epilepsey, so lots of times he is the main focus like my parents being foucused on his apointments and everything he is doing to just make sure he is all right. The next topic via talked about was she feeling like her grandma was her safe spot. My gradma is my favorite person she has taught me so much and understands the things im interested in she has taught me how to drive, do makeup, how to help treatmy moms diabetes, she tought me how to pait furniture, sew, design a room, pair clothes and outfits together, along with many life lessons about school and friends, and money so I understand how her grandma can be considered  a safe spot. Lastly Via said how when her grandma deid she watched her mom break down even though she had never seen her mom like that, I witnessed something like this when my great auntie died, my grandma is normally very put together alothough I have never seen her like that. I'm wondering if Via will have a breaking point in chapters to come.

Today I didn't really see anything that was that interesting it wa sjust a introduction to Via's perspective of life. One thing I've noticed is that one of Via's friends has completly changed their apearance and attiude going into highschool witch I understand some of my old friend were nice but all of a sudden they go to highschool and then the next time you see them they are completly different. Another thing that happens is that they will act like a new person just around older kids. The reason they do this is that we want to fit in we want to be popular and some people think that that is the best way to do that but really if you truly fit in they will like you for you. By becoming someone new you leave behind your real friends for some fakes that will use you to benifit themselves.

Today via explianed how her parents both had mutant genes and that is why August looks the way he does and that she herself carries that gene aswell, to do this she uses a punnett square and coincidence that we just learned what a punnett square is in science, I definitly wouldn't of understood how to understand what was wrote unless I was in thet science class. Via was talking about a book she was reading called "War and Peace" I have actually considered reading it after I finish "Wonder". Via is talking to August and he tells her that he is going to quit school because Jack was calling him a freak behind his back what I find interesting because the book is wrote in a way that makes us belive that Jack is the good guy and is very nice to Agust because he is a nice person so it is actually very disapointing to see him on the bad side of things. Where I left off there was "part three, Summer" witch I think will cover Summer's perspective when August goes back to school recently finding out one of his friend was being to mean to him, I honestly wonder if Jack and August will become friend again.

Today when I was reading it consisted of a conversation with Jack and his mom, they were talking about why Jack should give August a tour aroung the school, Jack doesn't want to do it because he said August is to ugly witch is sad because they actually do become friends later in the story. His mom is trying to force him to do it and I belive he will give in we just don't know yet because I have not read that far.

Jack was talking about how him and August are "ex-friends" and that he doesn't know what he did, he goes on to say how akward it is to talk to Agust and to see him in the hallways. He metions how he tries to convince himself he doesn't need august and that he will be okay. Later he says how he doesn't like to hang out with the popular kids and that he misses hanging out with August. I can realte to this because  I have recently had some of my best friends decide to start egnoring me and I have tried to ask them what i did but the won't tell me, I do defintly try to deal with the situation by trying to get over it and it works however, it's still akward to see them and there is a part of me that misses all the fun times we had as friends.  Another thought I was thinking when I read was that in the timeline of the story it is around Chrismas break time, The part are read for some reason mad eit feel like it was Christmas, I really wish it was christmas break and I am looking forward to it. I really like how RJ Palcio broke up the bookinto differnet peoples perspective in the story we gbet a better understanding of the storyline of the book, I like how there are some charcters  that I can realate to more and some perspectives are more emotional.

Wonder today consisted of Jack punching Julien in the face, we find out that Jack punched  him because he called August a freak. Jack did something nice for August even though they are not friends witch says alot about what kind of character R.J Palacio wrote him to be. In the office Jack is questioned by the principal Jack just says he is sorry, he didn't say why he did it and who he did it for. He is suspended two days before Christmas break so he can come back with a fresh start. We are shown a series of emails between(A), the principal and Jack's mom(B) Jack and Julien(C) the principal and Julian's mom, in these emails it is exposed that Jack did it for August, witch made Julien look like the bad guy. The next email is Julian's mom saying that August is disabled, the principal being the nice guy he is told his mom that he is not disabled, he also really made Julian  the bad guy, we also here of a story where his mom cropped August's face out of the school picture, once again makes them look like the bad guys. Where I left off ended with August and Jack having a text conversation, both of the said sorry and they became friends. This was supposed to be really heart warming and it honestly was. It was really satisfying to see everyone get what they deserve.

In the book Jack finds out Julian threw a party with lot's of people and went around telling everyone not to talk to Jack, Jack is upset by this and decides to go hangout with August and Summer instead. They end up being happy and Jack goes to August's house for the first time in awhile. When they are there Via comes in to say hi, and then introduces us to her boyfriend, Justin. The perspective switches to Justin and he starts to talk about how at first when he met August he was a little shocked because Via told him what to expect before he came. I actually am starting to like the book  a lot more then I did at the start. I feel like more things are happening in a shorter amount of time and that we are starting to learn some sort of lesson from the book, I can't wait to finish it so I can find a new one.

Justin started talking more into detail about his life and him and Via's relationship. He mentions how Via has a passion to do theater. I thought their relationship is cute and I like how it was placed right after Jack and August are friends again to make sure that something is always happening in the book. In the book they do a bunch of relationship stuff but a lot of it seems weird to me, I can't help but laugh or cringe when I read it.

In what I read today I didn't see a lot I wanted to talk about, This was kinda disappointing but in just going to make it work. I'm very excited to finish this book, I should be done by the end of the month. In the book so far I have not really learned the lesson and have not yet found out why the story was written. Something that has made reading this book so fun is that I have seen the movie witch makes having visuals in my head easier, this overall makes the book more interesting. Imaging things like August's face are way easier because I seen how he looks in the movie.

16 (edited by madison.shimko 2018-10-18 09:20:17)

When I  was reading August has become good friend with Jack again. We finally find out why Miranda stopped taking to Via. At camp August is finally understood by the other kids and is friends with some Julian's buddies. We are starting to get to a conclusion in the book and I am very excited to finish it, hopefully by the end of this month. Everything is going good in the story and I  really like how it is ending off. I don't have a lot to write about so I am very excited to be starting a new book soon, that way I will have a lot to write about.

When reading August tells us about how he has lot's of friends and is ready for the school year to over but excited for a new one to start. right at the end of the book August won a major award throughout  the school. This was a really sweet moment because everyone was cheering for August, even the ones who are mean to him. This is really cool how everyone learned to accept him for who he is. Julien has learned his lesson and now has less friends than August. earlier I had mentioned precepts, each student in the class had to write one at the end of the year, some of these are for laughs and others highlight lessons we learn in the book " We all deserve a standing ovation sometimes", August. "It's not good enough to be friendly, be a friend.", Charlotte. This book is a great way of showing how youth making fun of people for there differences.