Topic: The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The book I am reading is the Maze Runner. This is a science fiction book written by James Dashner. I like this book and books like it because they are futuristic and usually have a great story. This book is all about person versus society where a group named W.I.C.K.E.D is trying to find a cure for a virus that attacks the brain and turns people into zombie-like crazy people. Although they are trying to save the world it comes at the lives of a bunch of teenagers for they have to put them under a series of dangerous tests to try to figure out how the brain reacts to certain situations.

Re: The Maze Runner by James Dashner

In the first few chapters of this book Thomas (protagonist) unknowingly has his memory wiped by W.I.C.K.E.D and is sent up into the glade (a mysterious village where everyone is put under the dangerous tests). Since his memory has been wiped it almost feels like a new life except for the fact that he remembers a few odd things like animals and their names and some images of large cities in the world. Thomas finds himself extremely confused and terrified but most of all just wants answers.

3 (edited by owen.campbell 2018-09-20 09:24:28)

After the initial shock and terror flees from Thomas he realizes just how little he actually knows about his new life and the world. His mind is instantly flooded with questions like where am I, How old I am why is there no girls here. Although odd one of the very few things he remembers is his name and that is Thomas, he has no memory of his last name. He then realizes that he had not been moving for a while and realizes that someone who introduces himself as Alby had been trying to talk to him. After meeting some people his mind comes to the attention of the massive stone walls with for entrances surrounding the place and someone tells him that it is a giant maze and that the walls close every night and the maze shifts. He has a very hard time comprehending this until It comes time and the defining grinding and shrieking sound of stone on stone alerts the closing of the walls.

The Next day its was time for him to go on his tour just like someone would if they received a new job. I really enjoyed this section of the book because it really filled me in on what life was like inside the Maze and it turned out to be kind of like a farm where if someone doesn't do their job the whole system can collapse.

The next day after Thomas' tour he was excited just like a child on Christmas to try out some of the jobs to see which one best fit him. He was first assigned to the butcher house. He had to feed some of the animals and then had to watch the butcher leader chop up a pig to be prepared for meat. After he decided that he didn't want to be a butcher he decided to take a walk in the forest but little did he know that he was headed to the little graveyard. When he arrived in the graveyard he was looking a round for a bit he was soon confronted by someone who had been stung by a griever (giant robotic animal massacres that wander the Maze at night) He was crazed from the sting and had a furious psycho look on his face and he then charged and yelled at Thomas.

6 (edited by owen.campbell 2018-09-27 09:27:50)

Once Thomas processed what was happening it was too late and the Ben was already on top of him. After rolling around for a few seconds Thomas got a firm grip and pushed him of just like a wrestling match. The boy immediately charged back and bit Thomas on the neck, he yelled in pain but got a firm grip and threw him off again. Suddenly Ben stopped and Thomas noticed that he was staring to the distance so Thomas turned around to see Alby the leader holding a bow and arrow drawn at Ben. Alby threatened to shoot if Ben didn't return back to their hospital in 3 seconds. He began the countdown 1, 2, 3, as soon as the words came out of his mouth the arrow whizzed past Thomas and penetrated Ben's neck with a thump. He immediately fell to the ground and blood starting gushing out of his neck, a sight that would be burned in Thomas' mind forever.

For the rest of the day the only thing Thomas could think about was the image of Ben sprawled across the ground with and arrow lodged in his neck. He was certainly surprised though when someone ran up to him and said Ben wasn't dead and that the baggers (people that deal with dead people) found him breathing. Although he may be alive now he won't be for long as that night he will be banished to the Maze similar to a death penalty. That night everyone was gathered waiting for the banishment.