Topic: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

A Game of Thrones is a medieval kingdoms book about war and adventure. There are 9 different houses in the book which are pretty much different clans separated by regions of land. The are Stark, Targaryen, Lannister, Arryn, Tully, Greyjoy, Baratheon, Tyrell, and Martell. Although I haven't been introduced to many characters and don't really know what's going on yet I can tell that this is a very well written book that was created using a great imagination but isn't afraid to go vivid on executions.

Re: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

This book begins with a family headed to an execution. The family is attending this kill because the father is the executioner. I really like this entry because it sets the tone really well for what kind of book it will be. After it is finished the family is heading home when one of the boys finds a dead dire wolf which is a mythical wolf of great size. This shows the first glimpse of fantasy involved with this book. Although supposed to be extinct the boys find dire wolf pups hidden under the creatures fur. After some slight convincing and arguing the children are able to convince their parents to let them keep the 6 pups. They are very excited even though they already have wolves they act like little kids getting their first puppy.

The story then immediately switches to the perspective of Catelyn who is traveling to an abandoned castle to greet her husband Ned who has just come back from a mission involving the death of another man. Although this story may seem dark and gruesome it still shows that there are real human emotions present and not just heartless beings. This scene can easily be compared to a loving family overjoyed to see their mother or father return from war. Though their happy moment is soon to come to an end when Catelyn has to reveal why she really came here and present the bad news that Jon Arryn was executed. Jon was like a father and a brother to Ned so this news had almost the same affect for if it had been his father or brother.

After Catelyn and Ned’s talk the book switches over to the perspective of Daenarys of the Targaryen house sometimes called Dany. She is preparing to go meet Khal Drogo and to marry him. Khal Drogo was said to be so rich that even the slaves wore gold collars. Dany and her brother Viserys want her to marry Khal so they can have an army to take back their homeland for the Targaryen which is the house of dragons. This is a key detail for the book for it shows the intent of Viserys. This sounds kind of similar to the plot of the Hobbit but I can assure you that it’s not.

The book then cuts over to Eddard Stark also called Ned who is awaiting the arrival of his guest Robert Baratheon and his family. As soon as Robert arrives he wants to go pay tribute to the fallen family members of the Stark house. This is another great moment for once again it shows that the characters have emotion and mourning and I really like this chapter of the book because it provides me with some more information and backstory of the story and throughs some possibly important character names at me. Visiting the grave was not the only reason that Robert traveled such a far distance and he soon started talking about more important matters he soon shares the good news to Ned and tells him he wants him to be the hand of the king the king being Robert and says he needs help ruling over the seven kingdoms. This is when I began to clue in that Daenerys brother Viserys wnats the army to take back his throne from the Baratheon house, which began to plant the plot for me.

Jon Snowś perspective is the next to come, he was born from Ned but not Catelyn. When Catelyn left for awhile Ned had fallen in love with another lady and birthed Jon. Jon is at a party with all his family and has been drinking all night so is not at the top of his game. Jon’s albino direwolf is sitting under the table and he slides some food under him right when his uncle is walking by. Benjen his uncle stops to talk to him and Jon says that he wants to join him fighting at the wall which is probably some border separating different kingdoms. Benjen says he’s too young to come and wouldn’t survive which upsets Jon but I agree with Ben because Jon is only 14 because I can’t picture myself leaving my family at my age and going to fight with the military. This upsets Jon and be eventually is filled with rage and leaves the building in tears with his wolf following closely behind. Outside Jon is called out to by a little dwarf of the name Tyrion Lannister who is a bastard like Jon he asks about his wolf and Jon explains to him that it is a direwolf so Tyrion wants to have a closer look so he jumps down from where he is sitting and they end up both explaining how neither of them know who their real mother is. This is a interesting conversation that provides with the reader with some more backstory on future important characters.

The book then switches to Catelyn Stark Ned’s wife and her and Ned are discussing if Ned should travel south and be king Robert’s hand. It is a great honor he says but his land is in the north and he is a Stark which shows that Ned has great respect and loyalty. Although Ned doesn't want to leave Catelyn knows he should and that if he didn’t it would upset Robert and he might turn against Ned. This scene portrays realistic arguments that couples have and show that not everyone in this book is perfect. The decision is soon made easy though when Catelyn receives a letter from one of her old friends in their secret tongue that only she can read. Although we aren’t informed of what it says Catelyn tells Ned and he realizes the urgency of the situation. They soon come to the conclusion that Ned will take Sansa and Arya their two daughters and he would also take Bran. That means they would leave Rob and Rickon to stay in Winterfell with Catelyn, and Jon the Ned’s bastard they would allow to go and fight at the wall. With only two children left Catelyn had to let go of the others in her heart and this was tough and she was filled with sorrow and sadness.

The book then cuts into the life of Arya the youngest daughter of Ned and Catelyn who is in the middle of her stitching class but is terrible at it so she ends up quitting and running away crying. She finds her step brother Jon who is watching the prince sword practise. She asks him why he isn't practising so he explains that he isn't a full bred prince so he can't practise. This little conversation demonstrates and shows the harsh reality of the Game of Thrones realm. They keep talking for a bit about Joffrey Lannister who is a jerk but likes Arya's sister Sansa who is travelling with her dad Ned to the South to be the hand of the king.

This book always changes perspectives chapter from chapter which is frustrating because it usually leaves off on an exciting note and you sometimes have to connect the dots on your own as to what happens. although annoying how it always switches I enjoy it for it presents a challenge I have never come across in a book and it actually makes me think instead of just spoon feeding me the information. It is also nice because it doesn't present all the characters at once and instead brings them in at fitting times and when required.

The book then swaps to Rickon who is the seven year old son of Ned. He is in love with climbing and is heading to his favorite abandoned building in which he loves to adventure in. After climbing to his favorite hiding spot he hears two people talking in discretion. This little segment throws in a little bit of a mysterious undertone and gets you thinking once again. After listening for a while he realizes they are talking about how they should be the hand of the king and not Ned. After listening for a while Rickon decides to go try to look who they are. When he gets up he recognizes the person but then he turns and startles Rickon so he trip adn falls backwards. Luckily thought he man grabs him before he falls and when I read this I was flooded with relief. Although you think the boy is safe the man unexpectedly says "oh what I do for love." he then pushes Rickon backwards of the tower and once again am filled with frustration as the book cuts to another character before I get to find out what happens.

11 (edited by owen.campbell 2018-11-13 14:26:08)

After the fall of Bran the book takes up the life of Tyrion Lannister who is a brother of Jaime Lannister and Joffrey Lannister. Tyrion who is talking to his brother Joffrey when suddenly Joffrey makes a nasty comment about the queen Catelyn Stark. Showing his responsibility Tyrion punishes Joffrey by smacking his of the cheek and makes him go apologise to Cateyn and do any deeds she wants of Joffrey. After this little fight Tyrion decides to join some of his siblings for breakfast who are talking about all that is happening between Robert and Ed and Bran almost falling to his death. They mention that Bran broke his back but is in some sort of comma like state and that if he awakes he will probably never walk again. The book began to make me fell sympathetic at this part but soon killed the mood when Jaime suggests that Bran just be killed and put out of his misery which puts a dark twist on earlier sad moment.

After this, the book takes up the life of Jon Snow who is getting ready to leave to the for the wall. He is saying his final goodbyes when he forgets about his younger brothers Bran who has just fallen from a height that no human would survive. Jon steps into the hospital room but as soon as he does Catelyn Bran’s mother stops him. Catelyn does not like nor respect Jon which is frustrating for the readers because after all, it’s not Jon’s fault that Eddard had fallen in love with another lady while his wife was away. After some arguing, Jon finally breaks loose of her torment and is allowed in. Seeing Bran makes him incredibly sad to the point that tears start to run down his face. Bran was put into a coma from the fall and is only surviving through the soup being fed to him. After visiting Bran Jon also wants to go say goodbye to his sister Arya. When he enters her room he sees her packing for her journey south with Eddard, Jon had brought her a present and after seeing her unbox the sword and try it out a bit he says the infamous words from the series “Stick them with the pointy end.” After his goodbye to Arya is said it is finally time for him to partake on his new journey to be a guard of the Wall.

13 (edited by owen.campbell 2018-11-27 10:10:50)

Daenerys is the next member of the book and she is in the middle of her wedding with Khal Drogo. It is an interesting wedding full of endless delightful food and partying. But the whole time the wedding is happening all she and Khal do is sit atop their thrones and watch while being served delicacy after delicacy. Khal doesn't say a word through the whole wedding not that it mattered to Dany though, for they do not speak the same tongue so his words wouldn't mean anything to her anyway. It brought a weird thought to my mind when reading this of people getting married and they can’t even effectively communicate or even have a conversation. It reminded me of the time when I was unloading groceries with my grandmother and a dumb man came up to me and signaled to me if he could use our shopping cart. At first, I didn’t understand but soon figured out that he couldn’t speak and it occurred to me how hard life would be without being able to talk to people. After this, the book continues through the wedding with endless weird rituals and soon comes to an end with the gift giving section. She is given a pair of dragon eggs from someone which is a hint to the Targaryen people but the gift the stands out to her is the beautiful silver horse gifted to her by Khal.

The book then takes up the life of Tyrion Lannister the dwarf. As with Jon and Jon’s uncle, he is heading to the wall as well, unlike the others who prefer to sit around a fire at night and chat Tyrion likes to escape into the forest to read books. One day on their journey Jon finds Tyrion reading and asks him what he is doing. Tyrion explains that all his life he has had to figure out ways to do things differently because of his height. He says that if he wasn’t born to the Lannister family that he probably would have been left to die. It kind of makes you feel bad for the guy and have sympathy until he starts an unpleasant argument with Jon. The argument quickly comes to an end as suddenly Jon’s large wolf Ghost pins Tyrion to the ground, Jon makes Tyrion apologize and soon is helping him back on his feet. They then both head back to their tents for the night.

15 (edited by owen.campbell 2018-11-29 09:54:12)

Catelyn is the next member of the book as she is in her son Bran's hospital room just as she has been for the last few days. Robb her oldest son walks in and tells her how badly she needs rest, for she has not slept since his fall. After some persuasion, Bran finally gets Catelyn to agree and she goes to lie down but just as she is going to all the wolfs and dogs outside start barking and howling. They soon find out that the cause of all this ruckus is a fire burning in the library. Although normally she would have immediately gone to help due to the state of her son she want to stay and keep watch of him. This proves to be a good thing because soon a crazed man climbs through the window holding a knife he looks at Bran but than at Catelyn. Noticing her presence the man springs onto her holding the knife above her throat screaming “no one was supposed to be he.” Clearly, in a dire situation, Catelyn uses all her strength to grab the blade of the knife and force it away from her. This short burst of strength soon comes to an end when the man re-establishes his position and goes back in for the kill. As things are beginning to look bad Catelyn notices a certain shape slide into the room and soon the man is pinned against the ground by Bran’s wolf and all it takes is one bite to finish him off. This chapter of the book provides some good action in the book which I believe was needed provides some thinking about who the man was, where did he come from, and why was he doing this.

After Catelyn’s grave encounter with the stranger, the book swaps to the life of Sansa who is on the journey with her dad Eddard to go south to the king. During her breakfast, Sansa was told by her Septa Mordane that she and her sister Arya were invited to ride with the Queen in her royal wheelhouse.  Although Sansa is thrilled with the invitation when she goes to tell Arya she does not receive the same kind of feedback, as Arya says that she is going riding with her friend Mycah who is the son of the butcher. Sansa frustrated by Arya’s attitude starts to head back to their camp but when she arrives there are three strange nights two of which are armored in the most beautiful armor and the third one was a strange looking man who frightened Sansa and soon she stepped backward right into the hands of Sandor Clegane a man who had been burned on a fire years ago leaving his face a terrifying mess. Sansa was soon on her nears wrapping her arms around her wolf. Seeing her distress the Queen sends her son Joffrey who is to eventually marry Sansa. The prince brings Sansa to her feet and soon takes her away to go riding together. This is when they run into Arya and her friend Mycah, they are having sword fights with wooden sticks and they soon see Mycah hit Arya over the fingers with his stick. When they recognize who they are Joffrey laughs at the fact that a butcher’s son wanted a knight. He swings off his horse and challenges the boy to a fight in which he responds with a very reasonable thing saying that all he has is a stick. Joff then puts the swords to the boy's face and threatens him to never touch his lady’s sister. Enraged with this Arya takes her stick and hit Joffrey as hard as she can in the head. The blow knocks him to the ground and she sends her wolf on him and the beast rips and bites at his arm.

The next chapter of the book has Eddard along with the King and Queen and a few others. They are having a meeting about the fight between Joffrey and Arya. The queen believes the wolfs need to be killed. Ed agrees to punish Arya if Joffrey is punished and in and in spite Eddard goes to skin Sansa’s direwolf Lady. He finds her chained and brings the knife to the creature killing it. I got kind of sad at this part because I really thought the wolfs were quite fun and cool. When he is heading back to the council room he is interrupted by Sandor Clegane and his men. He said to them “no sign of your daughter but they day was not wholly wasted, we found her little pet.” With that, the men tossed the sack on the ground and Ed started thinking of what he’d say to his daughter but when he opened the bag he did not see the wolf he was expecting instead, he found Arya’s friend Mycah. He was covered in frozen blood with a clean cut that practically sliced him in half, from shoulder to waist.

The book now turns into Bran's dream. In his dreams, he has been falling for an eternity but in actuality, he's been in the hospital for an eternity. In his dream, there is a crow speaking to him telling him that he can choose to fly or fall to the ground and die. The next time he looks down he sees the ground rushing towards him and he begins to frighten. He then sees that he's falling into a pit of spikes and right before he hits them he spreads out and soars through the sky. Although this is just a dream, soon the crow begins pecking at his head and he wakes up from his comma.

The next person to come is Jon. He is in the middle of training against other members of the guard but the fight comes to a quick end when he dodges a blow and hits the boys wrist breaking it. Although that is not the end of the fight for later that day when Grenn the boy who’s wrist got broken and his friends approach Jon but he threatened to break his other wrist and that’s when they attacked him they grabbed his arm and twisted it behind his back. Then one of them made a nasty comment about Jon’s mom and that's when he went to action thrusting the heel of his sword into the boy's leg and breaking free of his grasp. He proceeded to tackle one of the others and began smashing his head on the ground when all of a sudden someone yelled: “stop this now.” It was the armorer Donal Noye and he was furious about the situation. He told everyone to leave except Jon and as he sat beside him. He explained to him that all the other boys had come from nowhere, and half of them had come here to survive. He said that they didn’t have sword fighting lessons where they came from and instead of beating them down countless times Jon needed to help them learn as opposed to making them look weak and pathetic. Although feeling bad and guilty Jon still remembered that his younger brother Bran had awoken from the dead.

The book then switches perspectives to Eddard Stark who is still on his journey south to live with the King. They have stopped in a city along the way but are soon taken into a council meeting with some of the important people living there. One man by the nickname of Littlefinger started addressing Ned but little did Ned know was that his wife Catelyn had left their kingdom in Winterfell and was awaiting him in the city. Little finger had told Ned to follow him and assuming that he was being taken to his temporary living quarters he followed. Although he soon realized that that's not where they were going at all and soon found himself outside of the castle. There they found two horses awaiting them which had obviously been set there by Littlefinger but nonetheless they mounted them and rode down a small trail into the city. It was then that they stopped at a small wooden building and Littlefinger gestured to the building saying “your wife is inside.” Thinking it was a big joke Ned threw him against the wall and held a knife to his throat but was quickly interrupted but someone opening the door to the building and he was shocked to see Rodrik Cassel one of his men from Winterfell and he realizes that Catelyn must really be here. He goes upstairs and sees her in a room amazed he asked her why she is here and starts bombarding her with questions. Instead of answering she simply says “why don’t I just tell you the whole story, it will be easier that way.” Ned begins to listen horrified that someone tried to kill his crippled some Bran and he orders her back to Winterfell with the reasoning that if there was one attacker there may be more. Instead of arguing she thinks things over and realizes that he is right that there will be more invaders. Finally, Ned orders hundreds of archers to be stationed for defense and they must be ready for war if war comes. This is a great chapter in the because it really sets us up for some possible future events to come and gets us thinking about things like, who would attack them, or do they have alliances in war.