Topic: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

A Game of Thrones is a medieval kingdoms book about war and adventure. There are 9 different houses in the book which are pretty much different clans separated by regions of land. The are Stark, Targaryen, Lannister, Arryn, Tully, Greyjoy, Baratheon, Tyrell, and Martell. Although I haven't been introduced to many characters and don't really know what's going on yet I can tell that this is a very well written book that was created using a great imagination but isn't afraid to go vivid on executions.

Re: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

This book begins with a family headed to an execution. The family is attending this kill because the father is the executioner. I really like this entry because it sets the tone really well for what kind of book it will be. After it is finished the family is heading home when one of the boys finds a dead dire wolf which is a mythical wolf of great size. This shows the first glimpse of fantasy involved with this book. Although supposed to be extinct the boys find dire wolf pups hidden under the creatures fur. After some slight convincing and arguing the children are able to convince their parents to let them keep the 6 pups. They are very excited even though they already have wolves they act like little kids getting their first puppy.

Re: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

The story then immediately switches to the perspective of Catelyn who is traveling to an abandoned castle to greet her husband Ned who has just come back from a mission involving the death of another man. Although this story may seem dark and gruesome it still shows that there are real human emotions present and not just heartless beings. This scene can easily be compared to a loving family overjoyed to see their mother or father return from war. Though their happy moment is soon to come to an end when Catelyn has to reveal why she really came here and present the bad news that Jon Arryn was executed. Jon was like a father and a brother to Ned so this news had almost the same affect for if it had been his father or brother.