Topic: Allegiant by:Veronica Roth

In the beginning of the book 'Allegiant' a group of dauntless, and factionless members is formed to leave the city. The city they are leaving is where they grew up and it’s all they know. Nobody has ever been outside the fence. If I was in their place and got chosen to leave the city I would be ecstatic. There would be so many new things to see and learn that you wouldn’t had even known existed. When I read this part of the book it reminded me of the time I went to Mexico. It was not at all what I expected, partially because I was very young and didn’t know what to expect. Seeing the people living on the streets as we drove to the resort made me realize how different my life was compared to others and how fortunate I was to live where I do, and to have what I have. I’m curious to keep reading and find out if this is somewhat the same situation that will happen in the book.

Re: Allegiant by:Veronica Roth

In the part of the book I just read Tobias was shot in the arm. I often wonder what it would feel like to get shot. Would it feel like the same kind of pain you get when someone punches or pinches you, but worse? I think to get shot would make you feel numb and I think I would be in too much shock to realize that I was shot. This topic got me thinking about what it would be like to get shot in different parts of the body, for example what if you were shot in the bone compared to getting shot in the stomach. This reminds me of a time many years ago when it was about midnight and my mom came and woke up me and my brothers. She said she heard gunshots outside so we all went and locked ourselves in the basement bathroom, because that’s the only room with no windows. During that time I had the same thoughts about what it would be like to get shot. This is something I would like to know but I would not like to find out through personal experience.

Currently in my book a group of people from different factions when outside the city limits. On their way out Tori was shot in the stomach. She lived her life thinking her brother was murdered and in reality, he was saved and his death was faked. If I was in this situation and someone I thought someone I loved was murdered, but they were actually safe and living a great life I would be happy and mad at the same time. Obviously everyone would be happy to know that they were alive and safe, but a part of me would be furious because if I didn’t know it means they did not care enough to find you and tell you. The fact that I would have already died from being shot and not known they were alive would make me enraged.

In the book ‘Allegiant’ the group of people that left the city had finally reached past city limits. They find someone in a truck who drove them to a government facility. There they were told all they knew wasn’t real and they have been monitoring everyone the whole time. By this I mean that they were put into a fake city where they were living for generations and they didn’t know this because they had a serum injected into them that erased their memory. If this ever happened to me I would be in so much shock that I wouldn’t be able to think straight. This is the same thing that happened for one of the characters, Tobias. Being told that you were put into a fake enclosed world would cause so many questions to arise. I personally don’t think I would be able to function knowing that everything I learned and was told was all a lie and that nothing I knew was true.

Tris, and many others ride in an airplane for the first time. This is something totally new for them and they had never heard of it before this moment. This reminds me of the time I flew to Cancun. I was terrified and I could not get the thought of crashing out of my mind. We landed safely as you probably guessed and it was actually a lot of fun.

6 (edited by hkisinger 2018-10-14 22:12:55)

in the last part of the book I read they group of people that left the city were learning about their new world. This got me thinking about school. I would not say I hate school but I also don't love it. At school I feel like there is so much pressure on me to do good in things that I do not like and have no interest in. Personally I think you should be able to choose what courses you take because not everyone needs the same education for what they want to become, and not all schools can offer the courses they need. I think some parts of school should not be included. For example, if you will never need to know many mathematical things for what you intend to become you should not have to take valuable time taking those classes. I think school should focus on individuals and helping them get education they need to succeed. I agree that they're are many positive factors about schools, but I also think that there are many negative ones that will never be addressed. I read a quote once that said "everybody is a genius, if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid". This quote resembles how I feel about school. Everyone is marked to the same standards but everyone is better in one subject compared to another, and with everyone being held to the same standards people will compare their ability to do something with others. I feel this would cause many students to be sad, hard on themselves, and ashamed. These are just a few things I think schools and teachers should consider.

Tobias found out his father, who beat him, is being released from the city and he will eventually find him. If my father beat me I would run away and make him not part of my life. Tris learned that her mother was actually kind of like a spy for the government on one of their experiments. All her life she had no idea about this. If I found out this was what one of my parents did I would think that’s really cool. Even though that means they lied to you your whole life, I wouldn’t be mad at all because I would understand why they didn’t tell you.

In the part of the book I am reading, nothing interesting is happening. It is currently very boring and dull. I do not like when parts of books are like this because it gets so suspenseful then suddenly nothing happens. During these sections of books I often catch myself just scanning over the words waiting for it to get exciting again. This causes me to sometimes get confused because I will miss vital parts of the book. With the Divergent series it is usually very exciting and it will keep you on your toes but occasionally it will explain certain things for too long and cause it to become boring.

In the part of the book I read one of the characters refers to the term ‘stabbing someone in the back’. This got me thinking, what does this metaphor really mean? Personally I think this means that you are doing something to hurt someone without them really knowing. If it was stabbing someone in the stomach, I would think that means to do something to hurt someone but they know you did it. Also in the section I just read a new character named Rafi was just introduced. I do not like this name at all and I don’t think it suits this character. Rafi is a very smart person who knows things about the government that others do not. I think they should have made this specific character a girl because it just seems like it would suit the character better. I also think she should have been named something like Alexandra.