1 (edited by anna.willis 2018-10-02 13:41:15)

Topic: Son - Lois Lowry

The book Son is the fourth book in The Giver series.  Where their village are there are many rules and restrictions such as you cannot wander into "elsewhere" and you may not lie otherwise there would be consequences.  In their society at the ceremony of twelve everyone is assigned a job.  It is called the ceremony of twelve because every year every person in their age group turns the same age at the same time in December.  When Claire, the main character, turns twelve she is quite embarrassed to be assigned the job of birthmother, which provided the children for the society.  After her first birth there is a complication and she has to get a sea section.  Failing her task she is called to the office.  They tell to pack up her belongings and her new job would be at the fish hatchery.  I felt really bad for Claire because she had liked her job as a birthmother and wouldn't find the hatchery to be entertaining.  Before leaving Claire asked them what number her "product" was, they said it was number 36.  They number the babies because they don't get their names and parents until the first ceremony in September where all 50 of the newborns turn one.  To keep population balanced fifty products are born, no more and no less.  At the fish hatchery Claire is taught how to do several things such as, regulate temperature and lighting in different areas of the hatchery.  After work Claire remembers that her old friend, Sophia, works at the Nurturing Centre where her product number 36 would be sent until he was named and ready for his family.

2 (edited by anna.willis 2018-09-20 21:11:07)

Re: Son - Lois Lowry

Claire thought of ways in which she could sneak away and visit Sophia with the hope of figuring out if 36 made it to the nurturing centre due to her birthing complication.  When the head of the fish hatchery had asked her to go and pick up fish life cycle posters from the school Claire eagerly accepted with the thought of making a brief stop at the nurturing centre.  When it came time she headed toward the nurturing centre and surprised Sophia, after they talked awhile Claire asked for a tour, eagerly accepting Sophia showed her around.  Sophia described to Claire many things such as that every nine products are assigned to rooms, so the one through nine are put together and the tens through nineteens are put together and so on.  Eventually they reached the room with the thirties, and there on one crib was the number 36, Claire's product.

3 (edited by anna.willis 2018-09-23 22:21:52)

There was a man along with a women in the room who tended to the babies.  Sophia had other work to do so she left Claire with them.  All the sudden there was a loud wailing.  It was coming from number 36.  Assuming it was number 36 the man worker walked over to crib and soothed it.  "It doesn't stay quiet for long," he pointed out to Claire.  Hesitantly Claire offered to hold him and the man agreed.  Claire had never experienced anything like it before.  Its warm head tucked into her shoulder, and the smell of it was so calming.  Claire never wanted to leave it.  After awhile she realized that people at her work might start to get suspicious so she handed number 36 to the man and said she should get on her way.  At the hatchery everything was the same.  There was never anything new and exciting in their society.  Everything was white, the weather was always the same, there wasn't even emotion.  Holding the baby Claire felt emotion and wondered what was happening to her.  As the day progressed all she could think about was her product and the love she felt for it.

4 (edited by anna.willis 2018-10-02 13:43:33)

At the hatchery Claire always felt out of place.  She seemed to have a different character than everybody else and she finally had an idea of why.  During lunch she realised that everybody took pills and she didn't.  She knew that at the ceremony of 12 everyone is given pills, but in her job instructions she was required not to take the pills and everything was so rushed that after she failed as birthmother she was never told to begin taking the pills.  She suspected the pills didn't allow for emotion and this is why she was different.  I could not imagine what life with no emotion would be like, I'm glad it's not this way in our society!

5 (edited by anna.willis 2018-09-27 09:50:15)

In a month the ceremony would begin and the newborns would turn into ones and be assigned to their families and given their name.  After work she eagerly biked towards the nurturing centre excited to see her product.  Once she arrived she talked to man again and he said that since number 36 has not fallen into habit and has been crying a lot he would be a newborn for another year and would not attend the ceremony.  Confused Claire picked up the crying baby from its crib and the man talked more.  He said that he has been taking number 36 home in the night and his daughter and son Lily and Jonas had been really fond of him.  He also mentioned that he peeked on the list of names, which was against the rules in their society, and thought that if he used number 36 name he would start responding faster.  Curious Claire asked what his name was said he could't tell and took the child from Claire.  Soothing him Claire thought she heard the man murmur, "Shh it's okay Abe."  Claire said she had to go and made a funny face at Abe sticking her tongue into the side of her cheek and wrinkled her face, Abe did the same and they giggled.

6 (edited by anna.willis 2018-10-02 13:44:20)

It was the first day of the ceremony and Claire decided not to attend, but when people came back from it they were erupting with news.  They said that at the ceremony of twelves a young boy named Jonas received the task of receiver.  No one had ever heard of receiver and started chanting, "Jonas, Jonas, JONAS".  Claire remembered that was the man that worked at the nurturing centres son.  All of the sudden a big ship pulled up loading and unloading stuff, this wasn't unusual but she had a conversation with a man and he mentioned the word, "sea" what could that mean.

7 (edited by anna.willis 2018-10-02 13:45:37)

Almost a year passed and everything stayed the same.  Abe grew and could now wave bye bye and walk and Claire continued to visit him.  Its almost the ceremony and Claire goes to visit Abe one last time before he is assigned to his family.  This is when the man tells Claire that he will be taking him home for last time because Abe is unfit for a family and will not be attending the ceremony.  Claire says her goodbyes and before the man bikes home with him he turns around and says, "By the way, his name isn't Abe," and leaves.  The next morning sirens are going off and voices are talking through speakers but Claire can't make out what they're saying.  Eventually she finds the man and he told her that Jonas and the baby are gone.  Rushing Claire worriedly heads to the boat and tells them her son is missing and they offer to take her looking for her son.  At this moment Claire must've been so sad and worried, she had never loved anyone like she loved Abe.

8 (edited by anna.willis 2018-10-08 13:06:29)

Part two in the book starts and all of the sudden a storm comes and workers are pushing Claire around frantically tying down boxes.  All the sudden the water grabs Claire and drags her in turning everything dark.  All that Claire can remember is how cold the cold the water felt and the sound of waves crashing against each other.  A crew member known as Old Benedikt dragged Claire out of the water to his village.  She was taken up to a small hut where a women named Alys worked.  Alys was a healer and the villagers were hoping she could save the girl.  Alys, toothless and wrinkled, was preparing a broth for her and once she woke up she handed the steaming bowl.  Alys tried to talk to her but she couldn't seem to talk.  When the girl was better villagers would bring her gifts such as clothes, shoes, and flowers.  One morning when Alys was talking to her she answered and said, "My name is Claire".  The people of the village called her Water Claire.  This village was very different than her last one and Claire must've felt out of place.  I know how how she must've felt, when I played soccer with a Lloyd team I felt very out of place but by the end of the year I felt very included.

It was now morning and Alys was walking up to a hill with Old Benedikt to get raspberry leaves so she could make tea.  When she arrived back she began steeping it and Water Claire all of the sudden had a burst of energy and sat up.  "I cannot, I thought," Water Claire began but couldn't finish her sentence.  Something had happened to her for a second, a scent filled her nose and took her back in her past but now she could not remember what she had seen.  Now she looked out the window and saw three girls having a pretend tea party.  They pretended they were adults and having grown up conversations, they also pretended they were pregnant.  Water Claire could not find out why, but she felt almost sad to watch them do this.  After a minute or two she went outside and the girls were playing with a little chipmunk.  Cautiously approaching the chipmunk the girls saw she was frightened and told her it was tame.  Water Claire had never seen these animals and they frightened her very much, the only creature she felt familiar with was a fish.  Heading inside Alys said she was watching and asked if she would like a bird as a pet.  Cringing Claire agreed.  Lame Einar was very good with birds and would make a cage and catch a bird for Water Claire.

Claire stood barefoot on the beach watching the trio of girls play house.  They had shells as cups, a branch as a broom, and seaweed as beds.  Claire spotted a stick and began writing her name in the sand until the sea washed it away.  Claire wrote it again, this time quicker.  A shadow fell across her, "What be that," Bethan one of the three girls said.   "My name, would you like to write yours beside it?"  Claire replied.  Looking puzzled Bethan whispered, "How".  Did they not go to school Claire wondered.  "You will learn at school soon," Claire stated, "What be school," Bethan looked even more confused and skipped off to go play with her friends again.  Claire walked home to find Lame Einar approaching her with the bird he had promised.  Nervous Claire thought she should name it but didn't know how.  It had a colourful patch of colour on it's wing but Claire wasn't sure what it was called so she asked Alys.  Alys told her it was yellow and looked concerned.  "t's name shall be yellow wing!" Claire stated proudly.

11 (edited by anna.willis 2018-10-02 13:50:48)

The village was preparing for a wedding when all the sudden musical instruments started going off.  Claire was struck with awe for she had never heard anything like it.  After the couple got wed Claire saw Tall Andras in his field.  He was making what he called a mommet to keep the birds out of his field.  Walking over Claire decided she would help although he was almost finished.  Claire suggested that they use a gourd as a head, agreeing Andras began carving a face into the yellow gourd.  When he was finished he turned around to show Claire while thrusting his tongue into his cheek and wrinkled his nose and creased his forehead.  All of the sudden Claire's memory began to overflow and she ran away bawling.  Someone had made that face to her in the past, but who and why.  Claire made it to Alys' hut and throws herself on the bed sobbing.  "Something come back, then," Alys said.  Claire nodded, "It was so close!  It was there, so close!  And I can feel it, still, but I can't grasp what it is,"  Claire said sobbing.  Alys handed her a cup of tea she had made hoping to soothe her.

As Claire and Alys were walking out of their hut Bethan came running, panting she said her mother, Bryn, was ready to give birth.  Rushing Alys grabbed her tools and headed towards Bryn's house as Claire shadowed her.  Alys helped Bryn deliver her baby and after cutting the umbilical cord, she cleaned her off.  Out of nowhere Claire screamed at Alys, "Don't take it from her!  Give Bryn her baby!".  Puzzled Alys handed the baby to Bryn and they headed home.  Claire, remembering why she was so troubled, explained to Alys that she had been a birthmother and there was a complication with her birth.  She continued to explain how when they cut her open to grab the baby she felt nothing, she had real medication, called pills.  She described how they had electricity oppose to where she was now.  Looking at her scar Claire paused and said, "I must find him".  Afterwards she had to apologize to Bryn and tell her what had troubled her.  How she didn't have a husband and had her baby taken from her.  Bethan had overheard the whole conversation and began informing the village.  "Water Claire had a baby! Yes, young as was!  No, no husband at all.  And they took the baby from her - just stole it away, and she never saw it since," she would tell everyone.  Now everyone frowned upon her, except for Einar.

13 (edited by anna.willis 2018-10-08 10:59:59)

It was beginning to snow so Einar took Claire into a little shack.  He started a fire and began to tell Claire a story.  He began with how when his mother was giving birth she passed away and his father was furious with him.  He gave him away and when he was old enough to do work he took him back.  He would beat Einar and wish he would die, as he deserved it for killing his mother.  I felt so bad for Einar, it wasn't his fault his mother died and no one should be treated that way.  Every day Einar would strengthen himself so that one day he would be able to "climb out".  There was an enormous cliff and they say there was a wise man on top of it, no one had ever made it up from the village, and Einar wanted to be the first.  One day he thought he was ready so he began to climb out.  When he was making his way down he slipped and fell, he thought he was going to die but instead he hurt his leg and walks with a limp now.  Claire stared at him for a moment then said, "I want to climb out, I want to find my boy".  Einar looked her and said,"We will start training tomorrow".

14 (edited by anna.willis 2018-10-08 10:57:31)

Everyday for years Claire did exercises which would prepare her to climb out.  I relate to Claire because at this point she is very determined and when I get my mind set on something I don't give up until I achieve what I had wanted.  Alys was getting very old and weak and began to pass down everything she knew to Bethan who was learning quickly and would be the new village healer.  It was a gloomy day and Claire was heading up to the hill where Einar lived when she arrived he said it was time.  Claire knew what he meant and began to get her sack ready.  She packed a knife, a rope, a water bottle, and rock covered in red.  She told Einar that when she made it to the top she would throw the rock down hoping Einar would find it know she was safe.  Saying goodbye to Alys and Einar Claire began heading up the towering cliff.  I was very worried for Claire because many people had tried to climb out but everyone had slipped and fallen being claimed by treacherous cliff.  Claire began to climb placing her foot in any crevice she could find.  She made her way at a steady pace until she reached a ledge she could rest on.  To continue the climb she would have to get across to the other side using the tree in between the two ledges and swinging on the rope.  The tree looked liked it had been weakened by lightning so she was afraid it would not hold her up.  Daring to try she tied the rope in a noose, aimed and got around the trunk on her second try.  Risking it all she swung across the large gap onto the other ledge and sat down, with the sun just above her.  Her next task was get across the bird nest.

Einar had told her that once she reached the birds nest she would have to find the notch just under it, swing across the small gap, and then onto step like rocks.  After she completed this she would make it to the top of the mountain by dusk.  She began to follow his instructions until there was a swift painful stab behind her ear.  Blood trickled down her neck and  was really afraid Claire was going to faint and fall to her death.  She supposed there was chicks in the nest the mother was protecting.  Claire was a warrior and ready to try again.  Reaching for under the nest she was swinging across when all of the sudden the gull speared her arm and Claire let go falling in between the cracks.  Through habit she shot her legs out and caught herself, slowly she climbed back up.  The cut was very deep and she began to feel light headed.  Not letting it affect her she grabbed the rope out of her bag, made a noose, and threw it.  Perfect aim!  She pulled and the nest crumbled as the baby birds began to thrash in the air.  The mother swooped after them and Claire made her move swinging across where the nest once was, to the steps.

Claire laid down, panting and in pain.  Dark now approached and she would begin the last part of her climb.  As she climbed up she remembered that Einar had said once she saw the man he would help her find her son, but would need to trade in order to help her.  No matter what the trade was she was to say yes otherwise there would be a consequence.  Einar had said no and next thing he knew he was laying on the ground unable to move, and watched as the man moved closer and chopped off half of his foot.  Claire kept moving cautious and carefully up the thin steps until she reached the top.  She laid down on a mossy patch and rested.  I was so happy for Claire, she worked so hard and faced many challenges and finally she completed her task.  Claire felt someone touch her arm and awoke to a thin, smelly man standing over her.  Claire stood shaking as her muscles were very weak and told him she wanted to find her son.  The man replied, "So you want your boy.  Your son.  Tell me his name," unsure Claire hesitated and then said, "Babe?  Wait!  Abe, that was it".  The man swayed and then proposed the trade.  He would help her find her son, if she gave him her youth.  Hesitantly she agreed and in an instant she was hunched over, wrinkled, and had grey hair.  The man looked back and said, Your son's name is Gabe".

It is now part three in the book.  Gabe would see the old women appear in the woods.  She would stand there and watch Gabe work.  Gabe often wanted to talk to her and ask her name and why she watched him, but each time he was too shy.   relate to Gabe here because sometimes I want to talk to someone and make friends, but then  get nervous which is similar to what happens to Gabe.  A few people in the village, such as Jonas, had powers.  Although he hadn't really used it Gabe liked to call his veering.  He wanted to use his power to somehow learn more about the old women, but never did that either.  I feel very bad for Gabe because almost everyone in the village had parents except him.  He would often ask Jonas about why he had no parents and he would just tell him he had a birthmother but not really a mom or dad.  Gabe said he would find a way to his old village and meet his birthmother.  He began building a boat and thought one day he could travel the river until he got to his old village.

18 (edited by anna.willis 2018-10-14 20:09:33)

Jonas went to the window and using his power he looked beyond and saw danger as a presence.  He instantly snapped out of it and couldn't catch his breath.  He said someone or something was waiting, watching, the village but couldn't see what.  It was Tradesmaster.  He had returned to village again, after in the third book Matty had risked his life to fight him.  He ended up banishing him but ended up dying.  Gabe was really good friends with Matty and was so sad to see him go.  I felt really sad for Gabe because he would tell Matty everything and now he lost him.  It was now time for the feast, the village had them quite often and almost everyone looked forward to them.  Claire hobbled her way to the feast and saw her son, Gabe who was two men wrestling.  Gabe wondered what it would feel like to be a wrestler, so strong and in command when all the sudden everything went quiet.  He now was one of the wreslers.  He was in his body.  Before he knew it sound came back and everything was back to normal.  He heard music and the happy shouts of children and began to run toward the feast.

Claire's back ached and so she went to go see the herbalist who asked her age.  Claire answered, "I don't know''.  Giggling the herbalist told her that her time is limited.  As she walked to her home she thought about Gabe.  She had to tell him before she passed, he deserved to know.  She decided she would first tell her story to Jonas.  The next morning she woke up very early and began made her way down to Jonas's home and told him everything.  At first Jonas was very confused but after awhile he accepted it.  They agreed they had to tell Gabe everything.  Jonas found Gabe and brought him back to his house, they began talking about Trade Mart.

A long time ago Trade Mart existed in the village.  It was controlled by Trademaster, who brought evil to the village.  People began trading away their best qualities such as their courage or kindness.  I could not even imagine what this would be like, to have live in a place where you are trading away your best features would be awful.  For a few years the village became a terrible place until Matty cured it.  It was now late and Gabe was getting tired so Jonas told him to walk over and they would continue the next morning.  Morning approached and Gabe headed to Jonas' to find that he wasn't there.  Confused he looked and Kira and asked what was going on.  She told him that he had to leave, there was someone in the village that was very sick and they has asked for him. Determined Gabe rushed out of the house to find where Jonas was.  After looking for a long time he finally found the small house where Jonas was.  The women that always watched him was lying on her bed and Jonas sitting beside her.  ''Tell him," the women said.

Jonas began telling Gabe everything.  At first he didn't believe a word he said, but after a minute of thinking things through he accepted that the old dying women was his mother.  I understand what Gabe is through, at times it can be so hard to believe what someone is saying.  This is when my mind starts exploding with thoughts and I try my best to put something together, usually I end up understanding but it can hard at times.  Jonas then tells Gabe that he tonight he must go across the river and kill Trademaster.  Shocked Gabe very hesitantly agreed, thinking of nothing but his mother.

It was very late in the night and Gabe ran towards the river making his journey to defeat Trademaster.  After a very long and tiring journey he made it across the river and there, at the edge of the bushes stood a tall man wrapped in a dark cloak.  Trademaster began to talk to Gabe.  He tried to persuade Gabe to trade but he wouldn't.  He then reminded Gabe of the power he had, he said that he has destroyed many villages and has caused wars.  He claimed that it "fed" him.  Trying to ignore him Gabe focused hard on veering.  After focusing really hard he did it, he veered.  He was now Trademaster.  It felt very unusual, cold and uncomforting.  He felt inhuman, evil, hungry.  He then knew what he must do.  He exited the evil man's body and paused.  He began reminding him of all his failures.  How Einar was now a successful man, how he was banished from the village, and how Claire had found his boy.  With each word Trademaster seemed to shrink until he was nothing but a cloak.  Gabe had completed his mission.  It would feel so good to complete a task like his.  He has just saved lots of people from the evil that could have entered them.

The sun was now coming up and Joans awoke.  He then saw that Claire was out bed.  Nervous he got up to see Claire standing at the doorway slim with long curly hair.  She seemed to whisper, "I see the sun," and there, walking towards her was Gabe.  I really enjoyed this book.  It was a great conclusion to the Giver quartet.  All four of the books brought all kinds of emotions.  I remember crying in The Giver and Gathering Blue, sometimes because I was sad or sometimes happy.  I love the elements the author brought into each book and how the third book book tied the first and second together.