Topic: My Brothers Secret - Dan Smith

This book that I'm reading starts of in the fields of Germany when the main character, Karl Friedmann, and his friends are playing wars games and practising strategies. Karl is part of a training camp that they practice for joining the Hitler Youth. The boys start to go into the battle of capture the flag. Karl ends up reaching the flag and has to fight to clear it and have control. There was one kid, Johann Weber, that did not defend himself and looked parodied.

Re: My Brothers Secret - Dan Smith

When Karl and his group arrived back at his camp, the camp leaders ordered the boys to stand in a formation. This is why they were presenting the best soldier of the battle that the had. There best soldier that the selected was Karl. Karl had gotten seven kills and he captured the flag to gain the victory for his team. He achieved a silver medal star that he pinned to his uniform. Karl was very proud and so was everyone else. After the celebration the losing team had to run  over to the other side of the field and do 100 push-ups. All did what they were told, except Johann Weber, who just walked over and lied face flat on the ground. There leaders came over and kicked dirt in his face and ordered him to do what he was told. He didn't do that and that caused the them to deiced that he was going to have a boxing match, Johann vs all of the other kids. Karl was up first and he punched him to the ground. After that everyone went inside to have lunch.

After school, Karl went home. He was exited to show and share what happen to him that day at school. When he first walked into the house his mom was greeting him about his day and he said that he has won his first silver medal that he has gotten. Later that day Karl's brother, Stefan, had arrived from work. Stefan does not have a great past. He has gotten into many fights and has gotten suspended plenty times. He was sent off to a camp that is like a prison for teens that don't behave properly. When he arrived he was wearing a bright colored shirt that is not a great idea, because the army and school's don't want there people to look weak. So they make them wear there uniform all the time. Stefan can and sat down at the super table after he had taken of the uniform revealing his colorful shirt.

When Stefan sat down at the supper table. He was questioning Karl's silver medal. He said that he was proud of him and gave him a big huge and started to play fight. The next morning was Karl's twelfth birthday, the day that his papa died in the war. When Karl went down to the kitchen, Stefan and his mama were at the table standing by a little present that they were giving them. They were just waiting for their Oma and Opa to arrive so they could open the gift. But when they arrived Mama passed out and didn't wake up. When Opa and Oma arrived, they had to go with them to there house.  When they left the house. Stefan and Karl were scared and they didn't know what to do.

When Karl and Stefan arrived at their Opa and Oma house, they just sat on the couch wondering what to do. Opa and Oma said that they needed to spend some time at home to forget about their Papa dying. So Karl had to stay at home. Which meant that he could not go to school, with friend, or even outside. Karl was not happy about that because he loved going to school and spending time with his friends. Stefan could not stay in the house ask day and night. So he was told to go and find a job to keep him busy and out of trouble. And their Mama was still passed out on the bed after a few days of living at Opa and Oma. Karl was still woried and affrad for his Mama. He could not stay in the house for much longer, because he felt like he was in a prison.

Karl could not bear to live another day in that house for another day. He told his Opa and Oma that he wanted to go outside and go to school. They said that he was not ready and had to stay in the house for a bit longer. But Karl could not handle it. He went to his room to cool down, and when he came back down to the kitchen. Oma was washing dishes and Opa was outside fixing his car. Karl went to go and see what help he could do for Opa. when to asked he said that he didn't need help and he should not be outside because he could be seen. So Karl slowly walked towards the door, but on the way he spotted his bike, leaning on the side of the house. He had an idea to grab it and ride down the road. But he could get caught and get into lots of trouble. Karl hesitated but grabbed the bike and went to ride it down the road as fast as he could, forgetting about all that was behind him.

It was like Karl was in his own world, because he was riding his bike down the road as fast as he could, forgetting about all that was behind him. He forgot about being stuck in that house for days like a prisoner, and about his mama not being responsive, he finely felt free. Karl kept riding his bike down the road, but his eyes had caught a gimps of something down the road. As he got closer and closer it became more clear. He was in shock about what he was seeing. Someone was writing on the walls, Hitler is killing our fathers. Karl's heart stopped and was lost for words, he couldn't believe his eyes. Karl just kept riding down the the road hoping to not see what he seen again. But down the road a few more yards, there was another writing, Hitler is killing our fathers. This was the same but it was bigger, and beside it was a white flower that was panted as well. He went up to touch the paint and it was still wet. He was thinking that who ever was here, must not have been here a lot time ago. He noticed there was some paint that was trailing alone the ground. Karl went to fallow that trail hoping to find who did this crime.

Karl was racing down the street, following the trail of paint. He was determined to find who has committed this crime. As he came to the end of the road, the paint trail had ran out and he had to chose to ether go left or right. He had chosen to go lift and he continued on the race. He was going down the street at light speed, the suddenly, CRASH. A shiny, black car same out of nowhere. It hit Karl and sent him flying threw the air and landed on the other side of the road. He was lend up against the curb and his bike was further down the road with a buckled wheel. The man got out of his car to observe what just happened. He walked over to Karl to see if he was okay. Karl had a big scrape over his leg, and he had landed on his hands first resulting in them getting scraped with asphalt in-beaded under his skin. The man pulled Karl up onto the curb like a ragdoll. He shouted and ordered someone to get him a drink and a cool cloth. He carid him to the side of his car and left him while the lady that was helping him bring his water and cloth. The man looked at his bumper and shock his head. He walked back to Karl and said," How are you going to repair this"? When Karl looked at the damage there wasn't even a scratch. When Karl was all done being cleaned up, the man put him in the back seat. What Karl first noticed is a very strong smell of aftershave. The man introduced himself and his name is Wolff, Kriminalin Wolff.

The man that has hit Karl with his car and helped him into his car. His name was Kriminalin Wolff. Karl had a very edgy feeling about Wollf. Wolff asked why Karl had white paint on his fingertips. Karl explained that he was just looking at the paintings. Wolff was not believing him that easily. Wolff said that he was wanting to know if he knew who did that, and karl had no idea. Wolff explained that if he found out that Karl was lying, he would bring him into headquarters and send him of him to a military camp. Wolff has this power because he is a member of the military captains. Karl was terrified at this point, and when him and Wolff rang the doorbell, Opa and Oma felt the same.

When Opa and Oma open the door for Wolff and Karl, Karl could see the fear in their eyes when they seen Wolff. Opa stuttered welcoming Wolff into their house. Wolff just barged into the house, put Karl to the side and strait away started asking questions.
First he started asking about why Karl was out side at this time of day while he should be at school. Opa and Oma were lost for words. They didn't even now that Karl was riding his bike down the streets. Wolff asked another question, "why is Karl not in school"? They responded with saying that "his papa got killed in the war and he just needs some time to recover." Wolff wasn't that impressed with that. He started walking around the kitchen and look threw the cupboards and noticed that there was plenty of coffee and cigarettes. He asked how did they has so much because they were hard to find around these stores. Oma said that they got them at a coffee shop down the road. Wolff had taken the address and some coffee from the stash as well. Opa told Karl to go up to his room for some strange reason. When he went up to his room he looked out the window and he seen Wolff standing outside by his car and Opa by the door. The were having an argument and started yelling at each other. When they were finished Wolff looked up at Karl and gave a little grin. He then got in his car and drove off. Karl stared at him as he diapered down the road, hoping that he will never see him again.

After the house quieted down and Wolff was long gone, Karl went back down to the kitchen. He had seen Opa and Oma sitting at the supper table staring down at a sheet of paper, that looked like a contract or form of some kind. Karl slowly walked towards them until they noticed him. He asked what the paper was. Opa explained that it was a form of what has to be done in the next few days. Opa had to go to the next meeting and explain why Karl was not at school for the last few days. It didn't seem like a big problem, so Karl didn’t bother talking about it. Oma asked to see the scraps and bruises on his arms and hands. She wrapped them so they could heal. After that Karl went back to his room. When he went into his room, he looked out his window and seen a lady walking out of her house. She seemed to look both directions down the road, then said something to wards the house and Karl seen a girl. She looked the same age as Karl and she had a bike in her hands. She was going to ride her bike to school. As she was walking to the road, she had seen Karl, and waved. Karl didn’t respond in hope that she was not going to report him.

Later that day, a few minutes after school is usually dismissed, Karl was staring out his window to see if the girl that he seen that morning was coming back.  He was sitting there for what felt like hours, but eventually he seen a figure that looked like it was on a bike in the distance coming this way. It was the girl. She maneuvered her bike down to her front door, she looked back at Karls window and waved. This time Karl waved back and then she smiled, and so did Karl.  She went inside her house and then came back outside and across the street to Karls front door. Karl ran down the stairs to find her on the other side of the door. He opened it and said hello. The girl said hello back and asked if he wants to go for a bike ride or a walk. Karl had nothing better to do, so he accepted the offer. The two of them went down to the road and walked together side by side. Karl introduced himself. Then the girl introduced herself as well, her name was Lisa.

Lisa and Karl were walking down the road for a while. Karl couldn't help but look at her. She had brown hair and brown eyes. She was an inch or two shorter then Karl. Lisa asked why he was able to stay home from school. Karl responded by saying that he had to because his father died and his grandparents had made him stay home. He went on about how much he loved school and the army and Hitler. At that point I was thinking that Lisa was going to run off and do something such as report him for not being at school, because it was the law for all kids to be at school and training for when they become men and join the war. But she didn’t, instead she said that she wished that she was able to not go to school. That's because she hated Hitler and the war. She was the first child in this book that said what she said. Karl was in shock because everyone loved school. They all dreamed to be in the war, but not her. I hope that Lisa and Karl become good friends because then maybe Lisa will be able to convince him and lead him towards not loving the war and Hitler, just like her.

Karl and Lisa are walking down the road for a while now, and they noticed two figures walking down the road and off into the woods. Karl was shocked to realise that it was his brother Stefan. Him with another girl. Karl stopped, thinking about what to do. I was wanting him to leave them be and ask Stefan later about that. That would be better that running after them because if that was not him them he would be in big trouble. That’s what karl did and they both started waking back to there houses. Lisa went to her home and Kral went to his. Later Karl was laying in his bed, waiting for his brother to get home. He fell asleep, the got woken up by Stefan trying to sneak into the bed, late that night. Karl asked who that girl was. Stefan replied by saying that she was just a girl that she worked with. Karl asked again why were they out there. He said that they were just walking home from work. Karl believe him because he knew that he would tell the truth. I was not thinking that was completely true because they walked into the woods and away from town. I don’t know why karl didn’t question that. I think that he will find out who she actually is later.

That night, everyone is in bed and sound asleep. Then they all got woken up by the air sirens going off. These sirens were used to signal when the enemy is attacking and the people should go into there cellars, if they had one in their house. Karl and Stefan went into the hallway meeting Opa, Oma, and Mama. Opa was leading the way down into the cellar. This was Karls least favorite place in the house, Because of how dark it was, and there was old, creepy things down there. When they arrived at the bottom. There was nothing there, other then some cards and water. It was just an empty room. Opa have bought a lamp to provide light so they weren't just sitting in the dark for what might be days. Opa offered to play some cards to keep everyone's mind off of what was going on outside. Karl could hear the AA guns firing at the planes, but no bombs. Karl tried to play but could not focus because of the horror that he was hearing. A hour or two has passed and they could not hear any noise. They went upstairs and went outside to see what happened. What they were seeing was not damage caused by bombs, but something different.