1 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-11-02 17:41:53)

Topic: All the Ever Afters, By: Danielle Teller

The book I have just begun to read is called "All The Ever Afters," by Danielle Teller. This book talks about the life story of Lady Tremaine, or as others call her, the evil stepmother of Cinderella, who’s first name is actually Agnes. The book begins by telling us what happened to Agnes’s mother, her mother died while in labor with Agnes’s brother who also didn’t make it. Agnes was the youngest in the family with a older brother and sister. Their family was very poor and since Agnes had an older sister she did most of the house work, so there was no use for Agnes to stay at the house, or at least that was what her father said. At a young age Agnes was sent to the manor house which was a far walk from their cottage, to work as a laundry maid. Agnes was told by her father that they shall only see each other on a holiday known as May Day.

Re: All the Ever Afters, By: Danielle Teller

The Aviceford Manor was the smallest of three manors who belonged to a fairy known as Elfilda. The man in charge of this particular estate was a drunken man named Emont. Agnes was soaked from head to toe as she finally got to the manor, as she arrived she met the gardener who told her that Emont was waiting for her in the house. As Agnes got into the house she notice Emont impatiently waiting for her. He didn’t say a word he just lead her straight to the head laundry maid. The maid was standing in a dim room with a fireplace and basin in it, she was quite plump and had a dirty bonnet that covered most of her face. The lady told Agnes in a gruff voice to start the fire and get right to work. Agnes had to fetch a giant pail of water to heat up and wash the clothes in. She was told if she didn’t get it finished by supper which was in an hour she would not eat and she would work all night until she was finished. It took Agnes 10 minutes to fetch one pail of water and she needed almost ten pails, and she hadn’t even started the fire yet! This part in the story reminds me of a story my mom and dad told me about themselves when they used to shingle houses. Dad said if the next day it was likely going to rain they would work all night and miss supper so the roof would be finished, and the house would be safe from the rain.

Agnes missed supper that night and went to bed on a little cot in the manor kitchen, she was cold all through the night. Agnes woke up late the next morning and ran to the laundry room and found Elisabeth (the laundress) holding a whip. Agnes was whipped 5 times for being late that morning. Agnes’s back was inflamed when Elisabeth sent her to the barn to put away the whip. When Agnes went back into the house she was told to empty and wash the basin, then fill it again with heated water. This would take hours for Agnes to do all by herself and Agnes had already realized that the laundress was not a helpful type, she just liked to lay around and watch Agnes do the work. Agnes came up with a plan to quickly remove and fill the water in the basin. She climbed up to the window sill in the room and tied a rope onto the curtain rod, on the rope she tied a bucket. Agnes began pulling the water up with the rope and bucket and dumping out the window, When she had finished emptying the tub she gave it a quick scrub and began to fill it with water from the rain barrel just outside her window with the rope a bucket. I know people who are just like the laundress and it sucks when you have those kinds of people in a group and you have to finish a project with them, because they don’t do really any of the work.

4 (edited by gracie.sweeney 2018-11-05 14:55:09)

Agnes was so happy that she could finally go to lunch and fill her empty stomach with food. She only knew the gardener who she had met earlier but he was not in the kitchen. When she was finished she began to walk slowly back to the laundry room since she knew nothing good was waiting for her there. Before she reached the room Geoffrey, Emont’ s advisor told Agnes to go into Emont’s room and clean him and the mess around him, because he had got so drunk he began to puke. Prue grabbed a cloth and a pail of water and went right to work. The room Emont was laying in had a violent smell, it seemed as though Emont had been like this for hours. Agnes held her breath and began to clean Emont woke up after a few minutes and thanked Agnes for cleaning up. Agnes left the room as quick as she could, even though it looked clean the stench had not fully went away. As usual the laundress had done nothing while Agnes was a way and made her work all night to finish the work. From that day on Emont would only ask Agnes to look after him if he felt sick or tired. I felt like Agnes my first day at camp, a few years ago, I didn’t know anyone and felt out of place there.

The next 4 years of Agnes’s life at the manor were pretty much  the same as her first few days, she did all the work while Elisabeth did nothing, Emont called upon most weeks when he felt sick and she didn’t make any new friends except for the stable boy who would try to save her food at supper once in a while. One day while Agnes was doing the laundry Elisabeth came in and told he that the abbess who owned the manor had lost her maid to disease and needed a new one. She then told Agnes that Emont was going to send her but she had told him she couldn’t spare her so Agnes couldn’t go. Agnes was furious, but held her composer well, Agnes asked if the messenger who delivered the message to Emont was still  in the manor. Elisabeth told her he was staying for lunch. At lunch Agnes noticed the messenger right away and asked for him to ask Emont again about how to send to the abbess. He said he would and went on eating. Not having an appetite Agnes walked back to the laundry room, on her way there she ran into Emont. She asked him to reconsider who he was going to send and told him about the lack of work done by Elisabeth, he told her he would let  her know in the morning if she could go. I am liking Agnes more and more as I read this book she is hard working and fights for what she wants, which I would say are some pretty good qualities.

In the morning Agnes woke up to the messenger, Fernan, who was calling her to hurry up since they needed to leave right away because Emont had changed his mind! Agnes scrapped up her belongings and washed her face in the rain barrel as quickly as she could so she could try to catch up with Fernan. When they got to the barn Agnes realized that she did not know how to mount a horse. Fernan and the stable boy were both pushing and pulling Agnes on to the horse until she was finally able to throw her leg over. Fernan mounted his horse quite swiftly making Agnes feel insecure but Agnes quickly forgot because she was so happy she finally got to leave that awful place. There was still a lot of morning dew on the ground which made it easier for Agnes to follow Fernan’s tracks. They rode passed many crops and Agnes knew her father and brother would be working in one of them but she couldn’t spot them out. Even though it’s great Agnes gets to leave the manor she doesn’t even get to tell her family about her achievement

Fernan said they were going to stop in a town called Old Hilgate, the town had an unpleasant smell and a dreary community. Fernan said that they should probably eat before they continue to Agnes’s new home. They stopped at a pub with watery ale but decent meat pies that would fill them up. Before they got into the pub Fernan extended his hand for Agnes to grab so she could jump off but since Agnes had never rode a horse before she didn’t know what he was implying by the gesture. Fernan got off his horse and grabbed Agnes by the waist and lifted her off the horse. Agnes after she had been put down shouted at Fernan “I am not a child, do not treat me as one.” Fernan calmly replied, “If you do not want to be treated as a child is, learn to dismount your horse,” Agnes did not say anything more until it was her turn to order. While their food was arriving Agnes began to ask Fernan how he learned to read and write.  He said he learned to read and write when he was a child living in Aquitaine. His father was a respected knight so he was able to learn with the prince. Changing the subject Fernan asked how Agnes became a laundry maid, with no embellishing Agnes said, “I was the second daughter, my mother died, my father couldn’t keep me. I needed to eat.” They didn’t talk much after that. The food drinks were just as Fernan had described them, but they were full after they ate.

After they paid for their food they rode for a few hours until they finally reached the Ellis Abbey.They stopped at the help entrance and Fernan said nuns would come to help Agnes clean up before she met with the Abbess. The nun who came to retrieve Agnes was named Sister Marjorie, she was a quiet women she said nothing to Agnes except when she told she name, she didn’t even ask Agnes’s name. The tub Agnes was told to bath in was quite small so Agnes’s knees were at her ears since she was a tall girl. The nun that helped her bath told her they had to bath at least once a week in the Abbey. She was given a scratchy white and grey outfit to wear, but Agnes couldn’t mind she was so happy for this opportunity. Sister Marge took Agnes to the Abbesses room after she taught her the proper etiquette to use when speaking to the Abbess. When speaking with the Abbess Agnes learned that this job was not a step up from the laundry maid job  she had instead it was the same job with more responsibilities and a different place. Personally this has never happened to me so I can’t speak about what Agnes is feeling right now, but I do know she must be a little happy since she will likely never see Elisabeth again.

Agnes was sent to the Rose House, which was the house Agnes would be working in. The head maid was named lady Mary, she gave Agnes a tour and told her her duties. Agnes began to enjoy the Rose house, even though she was told laundry was one of her duties lady Mary did not often make her do laundry. Agnes’s favorite thing to do during the week was to attend church. It had beautiful stained glass windows and the nuns and the Abbess helped Agnes to strengthen her bond with Christ. Agnes prayed every chance she could get and watched the nuns perform their prayers as well. When all the work was done Agnes would usually sit in the rose garden which had beautiful trees and blooming flowers everywhere. One day as Agnes was sitting in the garden Fernan walked in. He acted strange around Agnes telling her how beautiful she was. Agnes was uncomfortable through the whole thing but when he left she had a tingly feeling inside her. I can’t help but wonder if Fernan is going to be Agnes’s first husband who fathers Anastasia and Drizella.

One day as Agnes was walking through the hallways dusting she came into contact with Lady Wenslock, the owner of this particular part of the Abbess’s estate, she was reading. She asked Agnes to read to her with enthusiasm, but when Agnes said that she could not fulfill that duty since she could not read, Lady Wenslock took it upon herself to try to teach Agnes how to read. She asked if Agnes knew her letters and could recite any of the psalms readings. The readings Agnes did not know Lady Wenslock made Agnes try to write about them on a piece of parchment. Agnes only wrote in the rose garden, which now had begun dressing for fall. Mary had told Agnes a few days after her meeting with Wenslock that they were going to see if another girl would make a better fit in the position Agnes was currently in, if they did replace Agnes she would be sent back to the Adviceford Manor. The next week before the replacement girl came Agnes worked especially hard to please Mary and Wenslock hoping that they had an influence in the decision. I cannot believe there is a chance Agnes could be sent back to the Adviceford manor, where people are rude and not very clean. I have never been in a position like Agnes but if I was I would do the same thing she is doing working so hard that the other can’t even begin  to compete with you.

The replacements date of arrival had been pushed back another week so again Agnes worked hard to try and impress both Mary and Wenslock. Agnes was beginning to worry about being sent back to the Adviceford manor, so she requested to been seen by the Abbess herself. Agnes wanted to become a nun since she believed that was what God was pointing her toward through her prayers. Agnes knew it would be risky to ask the Abbess about letting her become a nun since Agnes was not free she could be bought or sold it wasn’t her decision. A few days passed until finally Agnes was sent in to see the Abbess. The Abbess assumed Agnes had come to ask if she could help her find a husband, so she began by saying it wouldn’t be that hard since she was a pretty girl. When Agnes corrected her and told her about being a nun the Abbess was furious that Agnes had wasted her time, since Agnes knew she wasn’t free. From that day on Agnes never prayed again. Even though she couldn’t become a nun Agnes should not have ran away from God, you can still devote your life to him even without being a nun.