1 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-07 13:38:34)

Topic: The Son of Neptune - Rick Riordan

I have just begun reading the book, "The Son of Neptune" by Rick Riordan, which is book two of the "Hero's of Olympus" series. Percy Jackson has just carried an ugly, heavy, old lady through the gates of Camp Jupiter, who turned out to be the goddess of war. Percy has lost his memory, and doesn't remember anything except for Annabeth. I think the author is going to relate Percy to Jason a lot in this book, because Percy is a leader at his camp, and Jason was the co-leader of his. I like how Rick Riordan gave Percy and Jason similar weapons, Percy has a pen that turns into a sword, and Jason has a coin that turns into either a sword or spear. When Percy first arrived and the kids at camp realized it was Percy, they look disgusted, but he didn't know why. They thought he was an enemy, a very powerful enemy. Compared to the first book, this is very different because there Greeks had no idea about Jason, Camp Jupiter, and the Rivalry.

2 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-08 21:41:53)

Re: The Son of Neptune - Rick Riordan

Reyna (the camp leader) is taking Percy to the "Principia" so she can decide if Percy is a new recruit or an enemy to kill. While Reyna, Percy, and Hazel walked to the Principia, Percy saw a lot of, what he first believed were ghosts, called Lares that were at camp. They were whispering "Graceus" meaning Greek.  None of them know that Percy is Greek, and from the other camp, not even Percy. The way that everyone at Camp Jupiter is talking about the Greeks, I don't think they will be very happy if they realize Percy is Greek. I also don't think it will be easy for the Greeks to convince them to fight together to take down Gaea. I really like the way the author adds another conflict to the story, by making the camps work together to take down Gaea. When they got to the Principia Percy explained how he didn't remember anything. After Reyna questioned Percy she said that if Octavian approved he could stay.

Today, I was introduced to Octavian. Hazel took Percy to Octavian so they could see if Percy was allowed to stay at camp. On their way, something strange happened. All of a sudden, a diamond popped up on the ground and Hazel freaked out, when her friend  tried to grab it. I wonder why, was there something wrong with the diamond, was it hers? Then she didn't speak to Percy until they got to the temple where Octavian was. Which makes me believe Hazel has secrets. When they went inside the temple Octavian was cutting open stuffed animals. He said he was "Reading the will of the Gods?" Percy thought that Octavian seemed farmiliar but he couldn't remember how, and Octavian seemed to not know Percy. The athour is doing a really good job at showing how confused Percy is in this book. Octavian and Percy talked, and then he told Percy about the message of how a Greek would arrive at camp, so he assumed Percy was the person in the message. Octavian also told Percy and Hazel about the prophecy. Percy knew, that the words, and meaning of the prophecy were familiar but he couldn't pin it down.

Hazel's brother (Nico di Angelo) just arrived at camp, and as soon as Percy saw Nico when Hazel introduced them to each other, he had another feeling as if he knew him.  -This reminds me of when something is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite remember what is is. Although, I relate to Percy some about his memory loss, I can't relate, nor imagine if I couldn't remember anything about my past and who I was.-  As well as, for a split second when Nico first looked at Percy he looked shocked, and even panicked, as if he couldn't believe it was Percy. Have Nico and Percy met before, and if they have is it a good or a bad thing? I really hope that if they have encountered each other before that it was on good terms because if Percy has an enemy at camp, and they turn on him, the Greeks will never be able to convince the Romans to join them in fighting Gaea. Leading to destruction of our world.

5 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-13 15:44:41)

Today I learned about Hazels past. Hazel's memory was very clear and she could remember everything as if it was yesterday. It was December 17, 1941. This confuses me a lot, because Hazel has not aged since she turned 13 in 1941. It doesn't make sense. Demigods aren't immortal, so how could she not age? I am starting to wonder if it is because of her curse. They day of her most recent birthday when she turned 13. Hazel remembered the kids in her school making fun of her, and calling her cursed. I felt really bad for Hazel because she doesn't know what is wrong with her. She had went out to the stables with her best friend Sammy. They rode the horses and then had a picnic. When they were leaving, Hazel didn't know it was going to be their last goodbye. This reminds me of how you never know when you are going to lose someone, and you never know when it will be your last time seeing them.

When Hazel had arrived back at the French Quater (her home) her happiness faded. Hazel and her mother lived in an old apartment above the jazz club. Many people from the club, would go upstairs to Hazel's mother to get their fortune read, or to buy charms, Hazles charms. At first the jewels weren't too bad. They only showed up once and a while, am ether helped Hazles mother pay the bills. Then rumours started spreading about all of the bad things that happened to the people who bought the precious stones. Less and less people came to see her mother, which angered her. Hazel walked up the stairs to the apartment and at first she thought her mother had a costumer, but then she realized it was only her mothers voice, except it didn't sound like Hazles mother. Her mother was talking about the gods, and how her and Hazel needed to go North. Hazel ran downstairs at at the jottom their was a man in a suit, her farther Pluto.

7 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-22 13:42:24)

Hazel was furious and she couldn't believe he was just now showing up, after 13 years. Then Hazel yelled at him, saying that it was her fault that she was cursed, and how he ruined hers and her mothers lives. When Hazel said this Pluto looked confused. Then he asked Hazel if her mother had told her why she was born under a curse. Hazel was so upset she didn't say anything, so Pluto assumed it was a no. He told Hazel, "You were born to soon, but one day the son of Neptune will wash away your curse, and give you peace. I wonder if when he said this , he was talking about Percy? Pluto then went upstairs to try to convince Hazel's mother not to go north, for it is too dangerous, and her and Hazel will not survive. Hazels mom yelled at him, and then told Hazel to pack her bags.  I feel, like Hazel didn't know what to do because she was probably happy to finally meet her dad, but her anger had taken over. I also believe that Hazels mom never told her the truth about her curse.

8 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-17 13:29:01)

Hazel, Percy, Nico, and Frank went to the dinning hall for supper. Before supper Reyna introduced Percy as one of their new recruits. Then she asked if any of the 8 groups wanted to claim him, as part of their cohort. Everyone was silent and then Frank tried to claim him to his group, but he was not eligible for he was new at camp. I felt sorry for  Frank because he probably felt embarrassed when people told him he couldn't claim Percy. Then Hazel claimed him, but she was barley eligible, because she got her first stripe a couple weeks ago. Percy thanked her, but her and Frank said that it's not something to be thankful for, because he is now part of the 5th group. They told Percy all about how the 5th group is looked down on because their leader a long time ago lost the powerful eagle which was very important to the Romans. They told him their status was getting better again when Jason was there but now that Jason disappeared it had gotten worse again.

As I continue to read into my book, I discover Franks past. I think the Author does a good job in telling the reader about the characters past. He uses the characters memories, to let us know more about the characters. For example, when I read about Hazels past, she was remembering her past, when she was sitting on the rooftop with her brother. The Author also uses this technique when writing about Franks past. Frank remembered the day he was so close to dying. The day he was freezing cold, on Mount Hood. He took the piece of tinder out from his pocket and imagined how warm it would feel. Then the piece of tinder burst into flames, burning quickly. He felt as if his life was burning away. Quickly he threw the piece of tinder into the snow to stop it from burning. I am confused on why this piece of tinder is so important to Frank. Why did he feel his life slipping away when it started burning? Does it hold, control over Franks life? Is it not supposed to burn?

10 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-16 13:43:15)

Frank remembered the day of his mom's funeral. He was in the backyard shooting arrows at his grandmother porcelain collection, when she came outside and told him she needed to tell him something. Frank followed her inside at sat on the coach across from her. She said "Your mother wanted me to give this to you," and then pulled out a box. Inside was a piece of wood. At first Frank was confused on why his mother wanted him to have a stick, but then his grandmother explained. She told him that his life depended on that stick, and if it catches fire, and fully burns, then he will die. She asked him if he believed in prophecies, and gods. Frank wasn't sure where the conversation was going, until she told him. "Your father is a god," his grandmother explained. Frank was in disbelief, but it made sense to him now, why his father was gone, and how he had never met him. I can not imagine how shocked Frank must have been, to find out the truth about his father, and how he could easily die if the stick caught fire.

Percy continues to say things that makes him sound like he is Greek. Percy asked Frank "How does a god, become Roman, if he is Greek wouldn't he stay Greek?" Frank told him that the Romans adopted the Greek ways and then, perfected them. This made Percy get defensive, and he said that there was nothing wrong with the Greek way. Frank wasn't sure why Percy said that, and how he even knew anything about the Greeks, but he decided to not say anything. I think that Percy being able to remember bits and pieces about his past, is very dangerous. If Percy remembers information, and says the wrong thing, it is not going to end well. The Romans will probably think that Percy was sent to spy on him, and there will be a war. Not the war they need to destroy Gaea, but a war that will mean destruction of the world.

The wars games were today and the fifth cohort wasn't very excited, as they hadn't won in many years, but Frank, Hazel, and Percy had a plan. Hazel took them underground in the tunnels that "happened to be there," which lead them right where they needed to be. In front of the forts east wall, where the water cannons were. Percy focused very hard, and BOOM! The water cannons exploded,  soaking the defendants. The rest of the fifth cohort was so confused, and couldn't believe they had a chance at winning. Quickly Jason, Hazel, and Percy led them up the ladder, up into the fort. Once they were in the fort they easily took out the defendants. Frank thought "Percy was like a demon, fighting with his sword." This is an example of a simile, because it is comparing Percy and and demon, which are 2 unlike things. After the fifth cohort finished taking out all of the defendants, Percy, Hazel, and Frank grabbed the 3 banners from the opposing teams. This remind me of how last year Cartier won gymnastics day. Cartier hadn't won in a few years and no one expected them to win, but they did.

13 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-21 21:56:20)

Everyone in the fifth cohort was rejoicing their victory, when all of a sudden some of the medics yelled help. Frank looked over and saw that they were carrying Gwen in a stretcher. They were pretty far away, so Frank couldn't clearly see what was going on, but a pilum was sticking out of the side of her chest, and blood, lots of blood. The medics were dong everything they could to save her but she was bleeding out. Finally a medic came over to Reyna and  shook his head, Gwen didn't make it.  Reyna looked at the crowd, and told them there would be an investigation. Frank then saw the marks on the pilum, and realized Gwen must have gotten stabbed after they won. Frank filled with anger and scanned the crowd for Octavian. Just then Gwen opened her eyes. She was unfazed by the 7 foot pilum sticking out of her body. She told everyone that she felt fine. Percy and Frank went up to her and slowly pulled the pilum out of her chest. Her wound stopped bleeding, and started closing on its own. No one understood how she was alive, never mind how she magically healed. I wonder if she died and then came back to life, because the gates to the underworld are fully open?

14 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-22 13:29:09)

Mars, the Roman war god, appeared just after Gwen came back to life. Frank was so afraid, yet he was drawn to him. Everyone at camp knelt, except for one, Percy Jackson. Percy stayed standing with his sword in his hand. "Your Ares, what do you want?" Percy said. Then Percy told the god, that they had met, and had a fight. When Percy said this I thought Mars (Ares) was going to recognise Percy and tell the everyone at camp Percy was Greek. I was scared that he and Percy were enemies. The god scratched his head trying to recall, and then told Percy to kneel before he lost his patience. After Percy knelt the god pointed at Gwen and said that she should be dead, but isn't. He told them how the same thing was happening to monsters. He ordered a quest, to Alaska (the land beyond the gods to free Thanatos from the giants.) Right before Mars left, he looked at Frank and said "Come here kid. Nice job getting over the wall first that was a MVP play!" He told Frank happy birthday, and then handed him a M16. The god told everyone the Frank would lead the quest. He also told him he could take two people with him, one Would be Percy and the other was Franks choice. No one objected, but they were mad that they were not chosen to go on the quest. I can't imagine how nervous Frank felt when Mars told him to come to him, but Frank probably felt so happy when Mars called him "kid." The way the god talked about how Frank got over the wall first during war games, you could tell that he was very proud of Frank. This reminded me of how my parents are very proud of how well I do in my sports.

15 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-24 08:59:26)

Before Frank, Percy, and Hazel left for the quest, Reyna called on Percy to come and talk to her at the principia. Reyna put her ring on the table and asked Percy if he remembered anything about her and her sister, Hylla. Percy tried to remember, but it was a blank. This reminds of when I am trying to remember an answer during a test, but nothing comes to mind. Reyna told Percy how many people at camp believe he is a spy who was sent by the Greek camp, but Reyna doesn't believe that someone who had two gods take an interest in them, could be a spy. Although, Reyna did say, "You came from somewhere," meaning she thinks that Percy is from the Greek camp, so maybe Reyna is just trying to get close to Percy, who she sees as an enemy? Maybe Percy did something horrible to her family in the past, and she knows who he is, and everything about him. Reyna told Percy that she thinks he was sent to make up for Jason being gone, and that if he wanted, he could become Reyna's co-leader. I was not expecting for Reyna to ask this, but a guess Percy is very powerful and a good leader so it makes sense why she asked him.

16 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-24 20:36:05)

Today I learned why and how Hazel is still 13, in her dream.  Hazel died and came back to life from the underworld. Hazel and her mother died together on that mountain in Alaska when Gaea was trying to rise Alycyneus. I think that is where Nico found her. I think that Nico was looking for his other sister, that he grew up with, and found Hazel instead. Since, Hazel has not been at camp for very long, she probably came back from the dead not that long ago. When they finish their quest and free Thanatos, will she have to go back to the underworld or will she be able to stay? If they close the gates to the underworld will everyone who was once dead have to go back, or when Percy lifts her curse will that mean she can stay? Hazel coming back from the dead also explains why she passes out and dreams about her past. Every time Hazel passes out, it gets worse. It happens more often, and for a longer amount of time. This is scary because if Hazel passes out when they are fighting, it will not end up well. This reminds me of how if you are not paying attention during a sport you could get hurt. For example in basketball the ball could hit you in the face. Once Hazel woke up from her dream Frank told her he knew she was from the past. Hazel was surprised that Frank knew, but she was also very happy that someone new the truth.

Percy, Hazel, and Frank had just finished destroying the karpoi when Frank saw something. Below them in the valley an army of monsters was on the move. There was rows and rows of monsters. The first ones they saw were Gergenes (the earth born,) which were large, hairy humanoids, with 6 arms. Behind them were Centuras, which are man on the top, and horse on the bottom. Percy was shocked because he thought that Centuras were good guys, but Frank said that they were always getting drunk and killing heros. This surprised me too because the Centuras at Camo Half Blood were good, but maybe there are different types of Centuras. Then their were Cyclopes, one eyed, 10 foot, ogres. When Percy saw the Cyclopes he didn't understand why the Centuras would be with them, as if they were opposites. Finally they saw the giant, Polybotes (Alcyoneus' brother.) When describing what the Polybotes looked like the author used a simile. He said, "His hair was like a mop of seaweed." This is a simile because it compares hair and a mop of seaweed, which are 2 unlike things. When they got closer the 3 kids could hear the monsters, and giants conversation. They talked about how they needed to get to camp Jupiter in 4 days. What they said next really connected to the last book. Three Cyclopes said, "Yes. Vengeance on the orange and purple, the ones who destroyed my home. You hear that Jason, Leo and Piper." The orange meaning  Greek (Leo, and Piper) and the purple meaning the Roman (Jason.) The Cyclopes that said this must have been the three that had tried to eat Jason, Piper, and Leo in the last book. When the Cyclopes said this Frank, and Piper knew that Jason must still be alive, but they don't know who Piper and Leo are nor, what the Cyclopes mean by purple and "orange."

18 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-10-29 20:04:02)

The women in the convience store acted weird, I know she is supposed to be a goddess but they way she talked  made me think that she was Franks mom. She knew about Franks "talents" and what freaked me out the most was that she knew about the piece of wood. But, that's impossible because Franks mom is dead, she died at war. She probably is just a regular goddess who knows a lot about demigods, or can read their minds. What if Frank is so special because both of his parents are gods. Maybe that's why she had to leave Frank, because she was a goddess had responsibilities. If the goddess was Franks mom that would explain how she peacefully got rid of the bear when Frank was a boy, because she is a goddesss that stands against violence. However Franks mom was in the military, and was a trained soldier so that wouldn't make any sense. Maybe I am just over analyzing the goddess, but maybe I'm right, and Franks whole life is a lie.

The goddess told Frank that only he could get rid of the snakes outside of the convienance store, but there was a problem Franks how was destroyed so he had to use the sphere his father had given him. He needed to learn how to use his farthers talents. When he was trying to keep the snakes away from him, the sphere head became Haeckel and heavier untill he could barely keep it off the ground. Although the snakes surrounded Frank none of them attacked, which was surprising for both him and me. Then Frank thought he remembered something about a dragon tooth as the tip of a sphere, in s book he had read. Frank drove the sphere into the ground, and when he lifted it up the draygon tooth was gone. All of a sudden the ground rumbled and a huge human skeleton came to life, with transparent grey skin beginning to form. When it came finished forming it looked at Frank until finally Frank told it to kill the basilisks (snakes.) It immediately began destroying the snakes. When all of the snakes were dead, the huge, grey, warrior disappeared, and when Frank looked down a new dragon tooth had already appeared on his sphere. Then he remembered what Mars had said, "You get 3 uses of it, so use it wisely," meaning he could make that big warrior come to life only 2 more times. When the big skeleton started appearing Frank was probably very confused and scared. The big warrior reminded me of Leo's dragon, from "The Lost Hero."

20 (edited by alexis.rehmann 2018-11-08 10:36:49)

Percy challenged Phineas to a bet. He took the 2 vials of gorgons blood, and told him to choose one, and that he would drink the other. When Phineas chose, Percy knew it was the vial that would heal him, meaning he would get the vial of poison. At this moment Percy put all of his trust in Gaea to help him live. He said that if she truly had "big plans" for him that she would give him the healing vial. I don't understand how Percy could trust Gaea, after what she is doing and who she is, it doesn't make sense. Percy knew Gaea would help him, and soon steam came out of Phineas' ears and he dropped to the ground. Gaea had chosen Percy, over her own follower? Why would Percy be that important to her? Once it was over Percy heard a whisper in his ear, Gaea. She told him how he should not press his luck, and when his death comes it will be much more painful than gorgons blood. This makes me wonder if Gaea needs Percy, or if she depends on him to fully rise from the ground. What Percy did to help the little harpy was very noble of him, and it really shows that he cares about others. He risked his own life to save a harpy who, he had just met.

Hazel told Frank and Percy about her past, which was very hard for her. She explained how she had almost let Alcyoneus rise. How Gaea had taken over her mother and how she just let it happen. She finally told them about her death and how she died with her mother, to postpone the giant from rising. Hazel felt horrible when she told her friends, she believed that they would hate her for what she did. She thought that Frank wold look at her differently, because Hazel thought that she is just as bad as the rest of Gaea's followers. Frank, and Percy felt bad for Hazel, because they knew that she was a good person, and Gaea was just using her. This reminds me of how sometimes people use other people to help their own needs. For example some people use their friends only for money, or the things they have, but don't really care about the person or their feelings.

Percy, Frank and Hazel were taken to Hylla, and she couldn’t believe Percy had come to see her after what he did. Hylla was mad, but she believed Percy when he showed her the ring , and Hazel explained everything.  When Hylla said she wasn’t going to kill them, someone interrupted questioning her power, Otrera. Hylla ignored her and then told Kenzie, one of her loyal amazons, to take Percy and Frank to the cells. When it was just Hylla and Hazel left, Hylla told Hazel about Otrera. Otrera had came back from the dead,  and was telling many of the Amazons about how great Gaea was. She told Hazel how she is challenging her for queen tonight, and that they are fighting to the death, except even if Hylla wins Otrera will just reform. It is crazy how Gaea has people everywhere who are part of her army, it makes me wonder that anyone the kids meet could be working for Gaea, and that they can’t trust everyone. This relates to real life because not everyone may like you, and they could just be pretending to be your friend.

When Hazel was with Hylla the strangest thing happened. Hazel saw the horse that she saw when she was living in Alaska. The white stallion was in a cage. As soon as she saw it she felt instantly connected to it, just as she did when she was in Alaska, but how could have the horse lived this long. Hylla told Hazel how the stallion was immortal, the son of Neptune and Ceres. She told Hazel that he was the fastest horse in the world, and that it took the amazons years to catch him. “The horse will not allow anyone to ride him. And he is expensive to keep. He will eat anything, but he prefers gold,” Hylla explained. When Hazel heard this, she knelt and pressed her hand to the floor, bringing a gold nugget the size of a plum to the surface. Hazel stood up and offered it to Arion, the horse, and he ate it from her palm. Hylla and Kenzie could not believe what they just witnessed. Arion chose Hazel, and fulfilled the prophecy. This explains why the horse was in Alaska.