1 (edited by anna.willis 2018-10-31 09:36:26)

Topic: A Spark of Light, Jodi Picoult

The bright orange Centre for Women squatted on the corner of Juniper and Montfort.  This is a personification because buildings can't actually squat.  The Centre was used mainly for abortion.  Wren McElroy was now at the Centre with her Aunt Bex, she didn't want to tell her dad she wanted to go.  She now wished she didn't go.  She had never seen anyone dead until two hours ago.  Her friend, Olive was looking into her eyes shaking when all the sudden she fell onto the ground with a bang.  Her shirt was soaked with blood and her ribs and waist.  Her skin was pale and then faded to lavender.  She now wished she had told her father where she was going so that he could've talked her out of it.  She wasn't even sure what had happened to her Aunt Bex.  "You," said the man with the gun, "Get up".  Wren heard the hammer click and closed her eyes thinking of her father.  I would've been so scared if I was Wren, I wouldn't be able to function.  George was the name of gunman, he didn't want to end up like his father, crooked and dead, but it was too late now he had already killed Olive.

Re: A Spark of Light, Jodi Picoult

Hugh McElroy was the hostage negotiator, and Wren's dad.  He had been talking to George on the phone for what seemed like hours telling him that if he let everyone go, things would end up alright.  George had already lost hope and hung up.  He pulled back the hammer on the gun and told the girl who had stabbed him in the hand to get up.  That girl was Wren.  He would use her to teach Hugh a lesson.  Cops were know posted along the buildings perimeter like a string of blue beads.  This is a simile because it is comparing the cops in their blue suits to a string of blue beads.  They were about to go in when all of the sudden the front doors burst open.  Two women were stepping outside.  They were Joy and Janine.  After them came Izzy pushing Dr. Ward in a wheelchair.  Wren was heading out when all the sudden George grabbed her by the hair and slammed the doors shut.  Wren was all alone with George, other than Olive and possibly Aunt Bex.  He was now sitting on the coach with his head implanted in his hands.  I feel bad for George, he never wanted this to happen and George was still holding the gun.  It winked at her.  This is personification because guns can't actually wink, it's giving the gun human characteristics.

Janine was now was in a medical tent being checked by ETMs.  She looked around to try and find Joy but she was nowhere to be seen.  Janine was a pro life advocate, who was pretending to be a pregnant patient in order to gain information about the center.  She was against abortion.  She was now going to be taken back to the station for a statement.  Wren kept an eye on George as she sat cross-legged.  "Your daughter," Wren began, "Whats her name?"  George glanced up, "Shut your mouth," he said.  Wren began to scoot back until she felt something cold and rigid.  She knew exactly what it was, who it was, so she inched forward again.  Janine now sat across from the detective who began to question her until there was a knock on the door.  It was Allen.  Allen was the leader of the local Right to Life group.  He offered to drive her home, she needed rest.  On her way out she saw Joy in a questioning room.  She knocked and hesitantly walked in.  Janine and Joy agreed they would leave the station together.

Wren's Aunt Bex came out of surgery and was now in intensive care.  Bex thought and felt like she was dead.  Izzy was also in the hospital and pregnant.  She was about to questioned when her husband, Parker, burst through the door.  I was so happy for them.  It was such a long day and knowing your wife and baby was okay would be so relieving.  Dr. Ward saw his past flash before his eyes as he laid in the hospital bed.  He saw his mom on the floor lying in a pool of blood.  This a hyperbole because it was really only a puddle of blood so they are exaggerating the point.

All Beth had wanted was to get an abortion.  She was 17 and wasn't ready to be a mother.  It was soon going to be illegal for her to get an abortion and she didn't know what t do.  I feel bad for Beth because she never wanted this to happen and the father left her.  She is really struggling to pay for the abortion and finally decides to do it illegally.  She is now in court and will probably be sent to jail.  Hugh knocked on door of the Centre and the door swung open.  Wren was pulled back from the door and George held her with a gun to her head.  George shoved Wren forward as Hugh dropped his weapon and pulled Wren into a hug.  He told her to run the command centre.  Hugh began to talk to George but saw that his gun was pointed at Wren through a window.  Hugh froze.

6 (edited by anna.willis 2018-11-08 10:22:41)

Captain Quant just figured out that Wren was one of the hostages and dismissed Hugh from the case.  Hugh refused to give up and was desperate to help Wren.  I can relate to Hugh because if I want something really bad I won't give up no matter what.  They began to fight and the book says that Hugh was drowning.  This a metaphor because it compares his emotions to feeling of drowning meaning that he isn't doing well.  Bex was in the hospital after being shot awhile ago.  She wondered if she was going to die and I did too.  Bex began to smile as the anaesthesia took effect thinking about Hugh.

7 (edited by anna.willis 2018-11-08 09:57:53)

When Janine was a young child she knew that a baby was a baby the moment it was conceived, it was a person in progress.  She believed it wasn't the child's fault that they were pregnant so why should they have to pay for their life.  I agree with Janine's points even though lots of people though it was ridiculous.  When Janine was little her parents were going to have a baby that was going to have down syndrome.  The doctor advised them to terminate the pregnancy but they didn't.  Janine was so thankful for this because she had never known anyone that made her laugh like Ben, her new brother.  He was all that Janine needed.  She wished she could've stopped Joy from getting an abortion but it was too late now.  I felt sorrow for Joy because she never really wanted to get an abortion but she didn't have any financial stability to support her and her baby.  I think that she at least could've had the baby and put it up for adoption.

8 (edited by anna.willis 2018-11-08 10:23:43)

Izzy, a nurse, tried to keep Olive from bleeding to death.  She had been shot close to the heart and Izzy wasn't sure if she would make it.  Dr. Louie Ward became an abortion doctor even though he knew the risks, some abortion doctors wore bullet proof vests.  The way Dr. Ward saw it was if he did that the pro-life people had won.  He states that every morning he to run the gauntlet of protesters.  This is actually saying that on his way to work it could be challenging as the pro-life people would yell at him.  One morning a white man was taunting him.  He was making remarks on his skin tone and the fact that he was an abortion doctor.  The man would do this almost every day until Louie stepped up and said, "What part of me is most upsetting to you, the fact that I am African American?  Or the fact that I perform abortions?"  The man replied with, "The abortions".  If I was Louie I would be super offended because he was using his race to get his attention for something else.  I realise now that this book goes backwards in time.  For example, at the start of the book Olive is dead but now she is fighting for survival.

Izzy tried so hard to save Olive's life but it was too late.  She put a cotton drape the dead body.  Izzy now tended Dr. Ward's leg and they talked about her pregnancy.  She was now twelve weeks along.  I find it ironic how an abortion nurse is pregnant.  After Joy became pregnant her partner left her for his wife.  She had not been told he had a wife and was very frustrated.  Without Joe's help she couldn't raise a baby so she worked extra hard to get the money for an abortion.  She sold many belongings such as her laptop.  Getting the money for the abortion but for Joy making the decision to get an abortion was harder.  I feel bad for what Joy had to go through.  When she was little she had to go in foster care.  Now she was poor and trying not end up like her mom