Topic: The Summer That Made Us By: Robyn Carr

The Summer That Made Us is a science and fantasy fiction book. This book takes us into a family who’s lives were spend at a lake. The family spend each summer at the lake until one day there youngest daughter Bunny drowned. After years and years went by the family never went back until Meg, one of the other daughters got stage 4 breast cancer. Meg went through many treatments and wasn’t sure how much longer she had to live. Meg decided to call the oldest daughter Charley and put the idea of spending the summer at the lake just like when they were little. Charley wasn’t sure about that idea but proceeded to help her sister make this happen. I can relate to this story so far because I love spending time at the lake and always want to go back.

Re: The Summer That Made Us By: Robyn Carr

Recently in my book I learned more about the characters. I learned that when Meg was first diagnosed with cancer she was in a coma for a year. Over that year a lot of things had changed to her family. First that was the summer that Bunny had drowned and second Charley was forced to move away. Meg didn’t know much about what had happened so she started asking questions. When Meg found out about what had happened to Bunny she started to have a panic attack. I can relate to this section of the story because I like I have missed out on somethings sometimes and often tend to sort of panic when something I wasn’t expecting is thrown at me.

In the past chapter a lot of events took place, Charley hired a designer to redesign and fix up the lake house, Meg wrote and mailed out invites to family member and I was introduced to a new character. Charley spent a few days at the lake house where she hired a designer named Melissa. Melissa started to clean up the house, buy new furniture and other items to make the place brand new.
While Charley and Melissa worked on the lake house Meg was busy writing letter to everyone who she could remember that was at the lake during the summers before. Meg invited them to come spend the summer at the lake just like how when they were kids. One of the letters went to a family member of Megs which was a girl her age named Hope. Hope had a husband and two daughters. Hope usually spend the summer at a cove but she decided to change here plans when she got this letter. I can relate to this chapter by remembering how I spend my at the lake with all of my family and close friends. I loved spending it with them and going on boat and tube rides as well as staying up late and sitting around the fire.

In the past chapter the story continued and told me more about Hope and her life. Recently Hope had got into a divorce and was separated from her two daughters who went to live with their father. Hope had completely changed, she never left her house, she gained lots of weight and spent every day laying around and watching TV and her house was really messy. Even thought Hope and her husband were divorced he still continued to pay all her bill, pay for gas in her car, and let her live in his old 12 bedroom, 6000 squared feet house. When hope got the letter from Meg she called her ex and was trying to convince him to come with her and let her take the girls to the lake for the summer. I can relate to this chapter because my parents are separated and I spend half time with my mom and the other with my dad. I know what this type of life feeling like and I may not like it but its just a part of life and that's the way i have to live it.

5 (edited by kenna.dewing 2018-10-16 09:35:35)

The lake house had been all finished up but just needed some little decorative touches. Charley had travelled into town where she had picked out lots of towels, rugs, dished and other things or various colours to decorate the lake house and make sure it was perfect for when Meg arrived. The Next Morning Charley had awaken to a lady wearing ratty, dirty clothes sitting on a chair just outside the house. The lady didn't move or make any sound. Charley took a few minutes to just sit and watch what she was doing and think about who it might be. Charley figured out who it was and went outside to greet her. The lady had been one of her cousins named Kristy. Kristy had been in prison for committing a murder and had recently been released by one of her lawyers. I can relate to this chapter because when I am older one of my jobs that I would like to do is become a interior designer and design homes and building just like how Charley had picked out decor and items and designed the lake house remodel.

In the last section I read I learned more about Kristy. Kristy had been released from jail and found her way to the lake house to spend the summer. When Kristy was in jail her mother had gave her a type writer so she could write about her thoughts and what was happening each day. Kristy didn't have much money and all she had was a pair of ripped up jeans and a old dirty jacket, Charley decided to buy her all new outfits and a laptop since she liked writing. Through out this chapter Kristy was telling Charley about how good it feels to be out of jail and back in the real world. This book contains a lot of dialog and communication between all the characters. I can relate to this chapter because I like telling others stories and talking about lots of different things with others.

In the past chapter I learned about Kristy's family and also about the relation between her family and Charley's family. Both their families were really close and did a lot with each other the the main things that happened was they would all gather at one of their houses after their children went to bed and talk. They most talked about financial plans and money. When Kristy's dad was broke and needed more money Charley's family would give them a loan and help them out. I think this method of loans and helping each other out is a nice and good thing to do. When I grow up and get older I want to be a good example and help others out, like family members or friends. I want to set a good example for my children and family so they can follow in my foot steps and be good examples and people too.

Charley and Kristy took a trip to town where they both visited their mothers. This was the first time Kristy had seen her mother since she got out of jail and she didn't know what to expect. Charley dropped Kristy off at her mothers flower shop and then drove to her mothers house. When Charley arrived at the house she went inside and noticed it was full of junk, dirty and didn't have a pleasant smell. At first Charley and her mother argued just like they did when Charley was little but then they calmed down and sat down for a cup of coffee and to talk. I can relate to this section because I sometimes argue with my parents at first but then we can work out the problem and be all good again. I also differ from this chapter because I like things clean, neat and organzied not kept like Charley's mother in piles and having lots of clutter.

In the past section Kristy met her mother. Her mother had not seen her in years and was really happy to finally see her after so long. Kristy took her mother out for lunch and a walk to catch up. While on their walk her mother got the idea of wanting Kristy to come live with her. Kristy did not want to, she wanted to live at the lake house on her own for a while until she found a job and money to buy her own place in the city. Charley met up with them later on and said Kristy had permission to live at the lake house. Even though Kristy's mother wanted her to live with her she agreed to get bus passes to travel once in a while to see her. I can't really relate to this chapter now but maybe in the future I can by helping my mother, visiting her and getting a job so I can help her.

I really enjoy this book because it has a lot of flash backs. In the last little bits of this chapter Kristy and Charley went over to Meg's house where she showed them lots of photo albums she got containing everything that had happened since their parents were little. When ever they looked at a certain picture the author would tell us the back story and what it was like at that time. They told us stories about their holidays, about their summers at the lake and about what their family was like before Bunny died and their two family split apart. I can relate to this section because I like to look at old photo albums and pictures and look back on what my life was like and earlier times.

In the past section it shared the story of Bunny's death and how she drowned. Bunny and one of her cousins Beverly were always sneaking out early some morning. One morning they took a canoe out on the lake, knowing neither of them can swim. The canoe flipped leaving Bunny to drown and Beverly holding on to the side of the canoe trying to stay afloat. This event affected their family a lot. Bunny's mother Louis went into depression and their family stopped interacting with each other and fell apart. I like this book because it has lots of different events, it looks back on past events and it has lots of detail. I can relate to this section because I like being with my family but and I am scared of accidents happening just like Bunny's death. This summer we had two deaths in our family, my aunt died in a car crash on her way to take my little cousin to camp and one of my cousins best friends drowned in the lake. These deaths made my family really sad but we did not take it as hard as Bunny's family, we still interact and do lots together. I think Bunny's family still should interact with each other and not take this accident the way they are.

In the past section it shared the story of Bunny's death and how she drowned. Bunny and one of her cousins Beverly were always sneaking out early some morning. One morning they took a canoe out on the lake, knowing neither of them can swim. The canoe flipped leaving Bunny to drown and Beverly holding on to the side of the canoe trying to stay afloat. This event affected their family a lot. Bunny's mother Louis went into depression and their family stopped interacting with each other and fell apart. I like this book because it has lots of different events, it looks back on past events and it has lots of detail. I can relate to this section because I like being with my family but and I am scared of accidents happening just like Bunny's death. This summer we had two deaths in our family, my aunt died in a car crash on her way to take my little cousin to camp and one of my cousins best friends drowned in the lake. These deaths made my family really sad but we did not take it as hard as Bunny's family, we still interact and do lots together. I think Bunny's family still should interact with each other and not take this accident the way they are.

Kristy wanted to get a job as soon as possible. She thought of a job that would be close and easy to get to since she couldn't drive and didn't have a car. Kristy went and applied at the lodge. The lodge was on the opposite side of the lake as the lake house. When she arrived at the lodge a lady who looked like she did not enjoy her job and looked really scary handed her an application form. Kristy found a seat near a window and started filling it out. The lodge had recently been renovated and was much bigger since when Kristy was little. Kristy met the manager and had an interview, she got a job working as a waitress and working in the kitchen. This event reminded me of when we went to the lake this summer with my cousins and stayed n cabins across from a lodge that had a restaurant and a swimming pool. This chapter is like my life now because my parents are wanting me to get a job.

14 (edited by kenna.dewing 2018-10-29 09:05:05)

The last chapter took a big twist and was almost like a horror story. It talked about Kristy's life and how she was put into prison. After the summer of all the accidents and the splitting of the families Kristy had met a boy. Kristy didn't know that the boy did drugs and was into stealing and murdering. When Kristy thought she was just taking a nice walk with him to the gas station to get snacks and drinks she found him tying up the cashier and wanting to steal all the money. Kristy noticed a gun on the floor but was hesitant to pick it up. Kristy was forced by the boy to shoot the cashier or the boy would have to kill her. Kristy shot him and was caught then placed in jail for two life time charges. When Kristy was let out early she found her self at the lake which brings us to the where the story left off last. I really like this chapter because I enjoy murder stories and this chapter reminded me of the show Riverdale which is my favourite shows. Although these types of stories can be cool and fun I also think that they are hurt full. I think what Kristy did was wrong and it affected her whole life.

Recently in my book a few other characters arrived to the setting which is the lake. Hope and her two daughters came along with Kristy's mother on the weekends. Kristy's hasn't seen Hope in 25 years and when the time came that she arrived the fighting began. Later that night Hope two daughters had the idea of driving to the nearest airport and catching a flight home. On their way to the airport they got into an accident. A drunk driver going the other direction was on the wrong side of the road and hit them. The two girls were both flown to the hospital and their parents were contacted. I often fight with my siblings but it usually doesn't end up with someone running away or anyone getting hurt. I think the what the two girls did was wrong and that they should of waiting until morning and talked to their mother. The cause of the accident was because of a drunk driver. This story has a good example of what happens when people choose to drink and drive, so the lesson here is don't drink and drive.

At the hospital the girls were both sent in for a bunch of different tests. The tests were clear and didn't show any signs of serious injuries. Charley had drove Hope to the hospital where she was found talking to some old guy who was asleep. The doctors didn't think this was right and took hope in where they found she has some brain disorder and needs treatment. Charley went and found Hopes mother and later brought her to the hospital and explained what happened. Hope had never told her daughters about her mother which would be there grandma. Jo, Hopes mom was introduced to the girls and stayed with them for a while until things were figured out. All three girls, Hope and her daughters were admitted in to the hospital and have to stay there until further notice. When I have kids of my own I am going to make sure they know about all my family members and even take them to visit often. I think it is important for people to know there ancestors and relatives. I remember when I had to stay in the hospital for a week, the only good part about that was they had pretty good for, but other then that I was bored and didn't like the smell.

In the past section the characters told a story of what it was like during the summers at the lake. Jo and Lou told a story about how they met their husbands and about what it was like when they had visitors at the lake. Jo's husband had moved to a new town for work but still went to the lake on weekends, one weekend he had brought a friend of his who was hitting on Jo's sister Lou. Guest didn't come to the lake very often so when they did it was like a treat to everyone. I can relate to this section because I like meting new people and have guests over to my house and other properties that belong to my family.